UFC 63 - Spoiler

Posted by: Dereck

UFC 63 - Spoiler - 09/24/06 04:15 AM

If you haven't watched it yet and you don't want to know the results then read no further.

Matt Hughes Vs. BJ Penn - Matt Hughes Wins by Technical Knock Out at 3:53 in the 3rd round

Mike Swick Vs. David Loiseau - Mike Swick Wins by Unanimous Decision at 5:00 in the 3rd round

Jason Lambert Vs. Rashad Evans - Rashad Evans Wins by Knock Out at 2:22 in the 2nd round

Joe Lauzon Vs. Jens Pulver - Joe Lauzon Wins by Knock Out at 0:48 in the 1st round

Gabe Ruediger Vs. Melvin Guillard - Melvin Guillard Wins by Technical Knock Out at 1:01 in the 2nd round

Mario Neto Vs. Eddie Sanchez - Eddie Sanchez Wins by Knock Out at 0:17 in the 2nd round

David Lee Vs. Tyson Griffin - Tyson Griffin Wins by Submission at 1:50 in the 1st round by rear naked choke

Roger Huerta Vs. Jason Dent - Roger Huerta Wins by Unanimous Decision at 5:00 in the 3rd round (Not Televised)

Danny Abbadi Vs. Jorge Gurgel - Jorge Gurgel Wins by Split Decision at 5:00 in the 3rd round (Not Televised)

MY INTERPRETATION:

Matt Hughes was dominated for the first two rounds by BJ Penn and almost choked him out with at triange and by armbar but Matt held on till the end of the round. I will give Matt his props for holding out for that long and still fighting back, and for fighting after taking a thumb to the eye ... hmmm, did not GSP get one of those from BJ as well? As Matt was tapped out their first time meeting he wasn't going to let that happen again. BJ burned too much energy and though he looked fresh sitting in his corner he was tanked when the third round started and Matt punched at will at BJ and in the take down pinned his arm and received repeated blows to the head that could not be defended so the match was called. I should mention none of them were knock out punches! I honestly think now after seeing this that BJ could beat Matt if he had the cardio ... and don't give me anything about a late notice for the fight to get prepared. BJ has wicked flexibilty and great take down defense and can hit harder then Matt for sure but his cardio killed him and GSP has seen this and now has a good game plan to work against Matt. GSP probably shouldn't have said that he wasn't impressed with Matt's fight but like they said at the end that GSP apologized to Matt and said he only said it for marketing purposes and to get the seats filled. GSP is a good guy and I believe what he said but again probably shouldn't have said much ... though Matt was a little arogant before he said that but that is Matt!

Mike Swick came out hard and for the first two rounds David Loiseau did absolutely nothing that I was impressed with. This was not the same David we've watched time and time again and the Franklin fighter must have taken something from him mentally. The third round David turned it up and put in a great effort and should have continued the onslaughter as Mike was gased and had not a lot left but Mike dug deep and finished out the round. If there would have been a forth then David would have won for sure ... but that is David's fault for not fighting in the first two rounds.

Rashad Evans was fantastic. This new camp he is going to has finally taught him that when you take somebody down you just don't lay on them. Rashad took down Jason Lambert at will and worked the full mount and pounded him unconscious. Rashad take a bow dude, that was an awesome fight.

Nice to see Jens Pulver back but props to new comer Joe Lauzon who jumped right out of the gates and stopped Jens in his tracks by knocking him out. That kid has got some power and looked a lot like Mike "Quick" Swick in his other fights. Jens had true class at the end giving the kid his dues.

Still do not like Melvin Guillard but that is the first time I've seen somebody knocked out from a shot to the solarplex and that was awesome. He did first punch him to the stomach but the solarplex shot did it. It looked like Gabe Ruediger could have finished the last round if he only had about another 30 seconds and Melvin would have been asleep but was saved by the bell. Tito ... what a coach. Told him don't kick and just punch and that is what Melvin did and that is what won it for him.

Two new comers with Mario Neto from England and Eddie Sanchez from California. Eddie called it, he said if he hits him with his right then he'll go down ... and down Mario went. The fans booed Eddie at the end when he said he could knock out any heavy weight. Perhaps they will stick him against Andrei "Pit Bull" Arlovski and we will see if that is true.

Tyson Griffin ... a small man in stature but makes up for skill. Text book work he did on David Lee from England by taking his back and choking him out. This was the choke out of the night.

Roger Huerta Vs. Jason Dent wasn't televised and don't really know anything about the two fighters.

Danny Abbadi Vs. Jorge Gurgel also wasn't televised but was hoping to see. That Danny lasted till the final round and it went to decision surprises me. I like Jorge but obviously Danny the Taekwondo guy isn't that bad or maybe Jorge just isn't that good of a finisher. Hoping to see this fight to see what happened.
Posted by: SEAL

Re: UFC 63 - Spoiler - 09/24/06 01:05 PM

I liked the card. Good fight night. It's a shame about Penn, because I believe he's a better fighter than Hughes, on his feet and on the ground. Hughes has better wrestling, but Penn has world class takedown defense, a world class ground game, and has heavier hands. But Hughes wanted the win more and is much more mentally sound and focused. Penn is one of those guys that's unbeatable in the gym, but always comes up short in the big one. The lesson to be learned: Don't climb trees to improve cardio.

As far as what GSP said, c'mon, you should know better. This is the process to draw money. They do it in pro wrestling, boxing, and mma. There needs to be a story, a build, something to entice casual fans to purchase ppvs and tickets. Having said that, it sounded like Dana White told GSP to utter those words not even 5 minutes after Hughes KO'd Penn. Hopefully, GSP will do a better job building up the fight. Hughes fits the heel persona more. GSP is such a nice guy. I have faith UFC will do a good job promoting the match and building a storyline.

Re: UFC 63 - Spoiler - 09/24/06 02:02 PM

I totally agree with what you say about both BJ and the GSP comment. I would not have though BJ was that good but after seeing him in the first two rounds that sold me. But no gas in the tank means doesn't train hard enough and even the prefight build up showed that BJ was a fighter first and then trained and he didn't need all of that time to work out because he was in excellent condition ... NOT. And for GSP he was upset that Matt was upset with his comments and apologized and explained why he said that and I believe him as he is a nice guy, even though I've only met him once to train with him at his seminar, but he does give that impression in all of his interviews as well.
Posted by: jc4199

Re: UFC 63 - Spoiler - 09/24/06 10:47 PM

I just got to see the Matt vs. Bj fight I thought it was a great fight. Bj Penn has a new fan in me although I would have given the first two rounds to him I do not believe the he was dominating Matt. I thought that other then the punching BJ was playing a defensive game the first two rounds. I think Matt was a bit hesitant in the first two rounds. The armbar/triangle looked mean but I do not think it was locked in with full power due to the fact that Penn had a hard time getting back to his corner and Matt had a smile on his face. I think Matt knew Bj had gassed out.

Re: UFC 63 - Spoiler - 09/25/06 12:32 PM

This probably will be pulled shortly but for those that missed the Penn/Hughes fight.

Matt Hughes vs. BJ Penn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXM70So3J9g

Other fights:

Melvin Guillard vs. Gabe Ruediger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJXjYPuNgeg

Rashad Evans vs. Jason Lambert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkbK0wSpj0M

Jens Pulver vs. Joe Lauzon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvvnmGjZwco&mode=related&search=

As I find more I will add them ... but again they will be pulled so watch them while you can.

edited to fix quote
Posted by: migo

Re: UFC 63 - Spoiler - 09/25/06 05:01 PM

Word is that BJ seperated his ribs at the end of the second round, it's been confirmed by a couple pro fighters on the UG as well.