Wrestling lessons

Posted by: Leo_E_49

Wrestling lessons - 09/13/06 08:12 PM

Does anyone know whether American "highschool/college wrestling" (preferably freestyle) is taught outside of highschools in the US? If so, is it usually easy to find a school? I might be interested in learning wrestling if the opportunity arises and I might be heading to the states in a year or so's time.

What sort of thing would I be taught if I were to learn freestyle wrestling and would I have to wear one of those spandex singlets? I've got a bit of a gut, so it'd be embarassing wearing one (meaning a lot more gym time for me too).
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Wrestling lessons - 09/13/06 08:58 PM

Try a search for local AAU clubs in your area. Contact the individuals in charge and explain your situation and what you're looking to accomplish. See if you can at least meet other guys in your age group who are looking for similar training and are in similar condition.

-John
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Wrestling lessons - 09/13/06 10:24 PM

Good luck finding middle aged guys who want to learn how to wrestle as it is taught in HS. Same with Judo. You don't see too many take it up after 35.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Wrestling lessons - 09/14/06 03:05 AM

American high school/college wrestling is folksytle wresting.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Wrestling lessons - 09/14/06 06:41 AM

lol i think he wants his question answered

Re: Wrestling lessons - 09/14/06 06:45 AM

Fletch is correct. You will likely be paired with high school or college age guys who are already in top shape. Don't expect the training to be easy or, to expect many of them to want to slow down their pace to train at your level.

Many good Brazilian jiu-jitsu or MMA gyms teach you all you need to know about takedowns. The mat work there is also very good as you might expect.

Where about do you live?

-John

Re: Wrestling lessons - 09/14/06 10:59 AM

I'm in Scotland at the moment, however I plan to be living and doing a masters degree in the states (hopefully) in about a years time. I'll probably be in California or near New York.

Do MMA gyms cover similar takedowns/sprawls etc. I am particularly impressed by low centre of gravity throws such as the ankle pick, which appear to be workable even on experienced grapplers and less risky than throws from an upright clinch. (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgB5UxKaKtw&mode=related&search It appears to be similar to a harai goshi, but turns into an ankle takedown. If this were used against me, I'd have no clue what to do )
Would this sort of thing be covered in a BJJ school? How about an MMA gym?
Posted by: ANDY44

Re: Wrestling lessons - 09/14/06 06:36 PM

Quote:

I'm in Scotland at the moment, however I plan to be living and doing a masters degree in the states (hopefully) in about a years time. I'll probably be in California or near New York.

Do MMA gyms cover similar takedowns/sprawls etc. I am particularly impressed by low centre of gravity throws such as the ankle pick, which appear to be workable even on experienced grapplers and less risky than throws from an upright clinch. (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgB5UxKaKtw&mode=related&search It appears to be similar to a harai goshi, but turns into an ankle takedown. If this were used against me, I'd have no clue what to do )
Would this sort of thing be covered in a BJJ school? How about an MMA gym?

http://www.britishwrestling.org/clbsct.htm
http://www.sportfocus.com/comdir/cditem.cfm?NID=60172
http://sfuk.tripod.com/clubs/royce_bjjglasgow.html
HI Leo where abouts in Scotland are you?
Im often back up in Glasgow.

Andy

Shootfighting Aberdeen - Kincorth, Aberdeen
Tai Jutsu Kai - Kingswells, Aberdeen
Tap Out Academy - Boddam, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Edinburgh BJJ - Edinburgh
Alba Dornadair Self Defence Academy - Edinburgh, Leith
Rick Young's Black Belt Academy - Edinburgh
Bu Jutsu - Fife
Glasgow Kombat Club - Glasgow
Maryhill Freestyle Fighting Academy - Glasgow
Strikeforce Gym - Glasgow
Royce Gracie BJJ Academy - Glasgow

Re: Wrestling lessons - 09/15/06 06:37 AM

At the moment I'm in Dundee. I'm not looking to study wrestling at the moment because I'm already studying one martial art (Jujutsu) and that's as much as I have time for unfortuanately. Thanks for the references though.

Re: Wrestling lessons - 09/15/06 07:07 AM

MMA gyms will cover takedowns and counters in most cases. It comes down to what an individual gym is doing so you'll have to sit in and observe some training and ask some questions.

Just make sure that you get a good feel for the attitudes of the guys training. Are the helpful to each other and have their egos in check, or?

I know you'll find what you're looking for.

Good luck!

-John

Re: Wrestling lessons - 09/15/06 07:17 AM

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

Re: Wrestling lessons - 10/12/06 08:52 AM

Ok, I'm going to bring this one up again because wrestling in particular interests me personally more than BJJ does.

This time I'm interested in learning a bit about the similarities and differences between catch wrestling and BJJ. Please no arguements about which is better, I consider them to be roughly equal when it comes to grappling, however, the basis of Catch being wrestling, rather than Judo appeals to me as something which is quite different form the eastern MA I've studied so far.

I'd like to know whether catch and other forms of submission wrestling are commonly practiced these days in the US and the UK.

I'd also like to know what submission wrestling practitioners believe that their MA really shines at.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Wrestling lessons - 10/12/06 04:17 PM

Here is a link for a "previous thread" on Catch Wresling complete with video.

Re: Wrestling lessons - 10/12/06 06:06 PM

Cheers.