I saw more "bull" than "pit"......

Posted by: Yattan

I saw more "bull" than "pit"...... - 07/09/06 10:47 AM

What in the world was Andrei doing??? I can understand his being cautious since he knows Tim can knock him out. But dang, he almost looked scared of Tim. Granted, Tim did nothing but counterpunch the entire fight, but geez that fight was so disappointing. I was utterly shocked at that. Your thoughts?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: I saw more "bull" than "pit"...... - 07/09/06 11:00 AM

I don't know that Arlovski's game plan was the best for that fight. It seems that both guys were content to stay outside and pot-shot each other, waiting for that perfect counter-punch to land. And that is an ok way to fight, but it's often not very entertaining, nor does it often lead to a dominating fight by either side.

I only saw the first round and figured that the last 4 rounds mimicked the first and that it would've been pointless to watch (considering it went to a decision).

If you're going to dethrone a champ, you can't leave it in the hands of the judges. For Arlovski to have won would mean that he would have had to do more damage. Pot-shotting doesn't often lead to a great deal of damage.

I believe Silvia's game plan was perfect. He fought just like Liddell which is, to stay back and force your opponent to come to YOU while you counter-punch. If your opponent doesn't come in, the fight goes to the judges and the champ retains the belt. If you DO come in on a counter fighter, you run the risk of being knocked out. Arlovski wasn't willing to risk that from what I saw.

-John
Posted by: GuitarNinja

Re: I saw more "bull" than "pit"...... - 07/09/06 12:57 PM

Quote:

What in the world was Andrei doing??? I can understand his being cautious since he knows Tim can knock him out. But dang, he almost looked scared of Tim. Granted, Tim did nothing but counterpunch the entire fight, but geez that fight was so disappointing. I was utterly shocked at that. Your thoughts?

I doubt he was scared, but the fact still remains.... a 6'8 250+ man all by themselves is a hard task, let alone someone who trains at the Militech camp.

Andre was setting up his combination attack the entire fight, jab jab... waiting for the parry by sylvia, counter with the right hand... and follow with the left hook... before he finished the combo sylvia caught him with a counter jab or cross. The end result is a 5 round fight between two very good MMA fighters, if you dont understand the fighting... its hard to enjoy strategy based fights, same reason why most nongrappling persons hardly enjoy a groundfight.

Either way, I felt andre won the fight, he pushed the action for 5 rounds... that alone counts for ring generalship.. even though he wasnt "throwing bolos" .. doesnt mean he wasnt doing all he could do against sylvia, tim was just ready for everything andre had.. but he himself did nothing much.

Honeslty, how many people fighting for the world heavyweight championship in ANY combat sport want to go in and make a careless mistake? Let alone MMA which contatins some of the best trained athletes worldwide.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: I saw more "bull" than "pit"...... - 07/09/06 02:36 PM

I think that Sylvia played the game right and that Andre did not prove to the judges enough to justify him winning. In the last round Andre had nothing to lose and everything to gain and he should have shot for the fences. If he got knocked out then so be it but he may have knocked out Sylvia and then have been crowned the Heavy Weight Champion. Now Andre is put to the side and won't get another chance for some time. All of that training for not.

Wasn't an impressive fight and I think that nobody really gave Sylvia a fighter's chance to win so good on him. The only bad thing is that it went 5 rounds and that took away from our viewing pleasure of seeing other fights on the card.
Posted by: Yattan

Re: I saw more "bull" than "pit"...... - 07/09/06 05:55 PM

" if you dont understand the fighting... its hard to enjoy strategy based fights"

True enough. But I do understand the fighting and I still didn't enjoy it. Even Big John was yelling "do something!" and "let's work guys!", and even "Don't leave it to the judges!". In Pride they get a yellow card and it costs them purse money. I HIGHLY doubt this is a mis-understanding of fighting. If you watch their past fights, this looked like two people who were WAY too hesitant. And while I'm at it, where the heck was Arlovski's corner? You'd think at least one person would have been telling him to work that leg kick, he could have racked up some serious points and damage if he would have just stuck with that kick. I can understand Tim hanging back and being patient, but Andrei didn't have that luxury. As a challenger you have to come in and take that belt. I guarantee that Monson will bring Sylvia a fight, and I can't wait to see it.
Posted by: jc4199

Re: I saw more "bull" than "pit"...... - 07/14/06 12:24 AM

Quote:

" And while I'm at it, where the heck was Arlovski's corner? You'd think at least one person would have been telling him to work that leg kick, he could have racked up some serious points and damage if he would have just stuck with that kick.

I thought It was a good fight after watching it again I think if Arlovski would have kept using the leg kick it may have opened Tim up a little bit or made him press a bit more. At one point going in to the end of the round Tim's leg was bright red and swollen a bit the next round Arlovski just stopped working the leg kick.

But hindsight is always 20/20 who knows what would have happened.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: I saw more "bull" than "pit"...... - 07/14/06 03:59 AM

I am curious if Arlovski injured himself kicking Sylvia those repeated times? He didn't look so comfortable kicking and this might be the reason why. We also thought he should have kept up with this kind of attack as it seemed to be working and yes Sylvia's leg was red and sore. If you can't knock them out then chop away; the head will follow.