Kimura question

Posted by: MattJ

Kimura question - 06/07/06 12:55 PM

Ok.....still pi$$ed about this from last night.

I was rolling with one of my BJJ class buds, and managed to get north/south on him. I immediately go to short-base, and "shark-fin" under his right armpit to trap his arm. I roll him on his side, and then figure 4 his arm for the shoulder lock. I get one foot infront of his face to keep him from rolling, and proceed to hoist the arm and twist for the lock.

However, he manages to roll his body in the direction of the lock just enough to keep from tapping.

So, my question is, how do you prevent the guy from moving with the lock? Or was I applying it wrong? I ended up giving up on the Kimura, and going for something else - only to get tapped out.

Any ideas?
Posted by: schanne

Re: Kimura question - 06/07/06 02:20 PM

Matt, where was your other knee?
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Kimura question - 06/07/06 02:20 PM

I originally learned that you should try to get your knees on either side of your opponents head before twisting the arm. Like if you sort of clamp around the head with your knees from a triple attack position.
Posted by: GuitarNinja

Re: Kimura question - 06/07/06 02:23 PM

From the way you described if you flow with him you should end up in a side mount with a kimura. Also, when he rolls if you slide your back leg in the opposite direction he is rolling this should help with stopping his movement. Im not good at describing stuff with words... so I hope this helps.

Re: Kimura question - 06/07/06 02:39 PM

Schanne -

I had my other foot posted out a bit behind his shoulders. I thought about trying to place it tight against him, but I felt it would off-balance me too much.

Are you supposed to keep both legs in tight?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Kimura question - 06/07/06 05:00 PM

Quote:

I was rolling with one of my BJJ class buds, and managed to get north/south on him. I immediately go to short-base, and "shark-fin" under his right armpit to trap his arm. I roll him on his side, and then figure 4 his arm for the shoulder lock. I get one foot infront of his face to keep him from rolling, and proceed to hoist the arm and twist for the lock.

I'm not sure I am reading this properly but when I see this in my head I see the guy on his left shoulder with your left foot in front of his face and your right leg/foot angled out for support ... is this correct Matt? I'm trying to see this for the Kimura but because there is so much space between you then he can easily turn into this ... plus if you get in close to hold him then he will be able to off balance you easily. It may be that I am not seeing this correctly.

At first I thought it was like the arm bar I use a lot. I have started it in the similar way you explained about from north/south and sneaking in my hand under his arm around the arm pit area and then going to side mount while using weight to push him to his side. In my case I usually have my left knee behind his head and have stepped over with my right foot and then hold him in tight while sinking my weight. From there I suppose you could try the Kimura but still I think you may get unbalanced.

For myself I'm a creature of habit and usually only work the Kimura or Americana (Tree-Up / Tree-Down) when I'm over top of the person in top mount or side mount or on my back.

Re: Kimura question - 06/07/06 05:04 PM

Quote by Dereck -

Quote:

I'm not sure I am reading this properly but when I see this in my head I see the guy on his left shoulder with your left foot in front of his face and your right leg/foot angled out for support ... is this correct Matt? I'm trying to see this for the Kimura but because there is so much space between you then he can easily turn into this ... plus if you get in close to hold him then he will be able to off balance you easily.

Exactly. You are seeing it correctly, Dereck. So I guess I should try to transition to the arm bar if the kimura doesn't work......good idea.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Kimura question - 06/07/06 06:35 PM

I usually pinch the guy's head tight between my knees - both of which are on the mat. It's all about eliminating space and that seems to do it pretty well for me.

And you can easily pivot into the armbar. Some people transition into a back attack and work for the RNC.

-John
Posted by: schanne

Re: Kimura question - 06/08/06 09:38 AM

I do, it keep my opponent from rolling out as you stated. Although most importantly is locking your foot by his head. Very difficult to explain grappling on a computer Besides the sprawl I have always stayed tight as possible agains my partner, no matter what and found that most of my techniques work better.

Re: Kimura question - 06/08/06 09:53 AM

Thanks for the tips, folks. I will give them a try soon.