Sem Schilt takes #1 Rank

Posted by: CKO

Sem Schilt takes #1 Rank - 05/01/06 01:22 AM

Click here for full #1 list

Like the title says, K-1 Grand Prix Champion Sem Schilt took the #1 CKO Ranking from Akio Mori. This marks the first time since 2001 that the reigning Grand Prix Champion has held the #1 rank. A that time, Hoost held the rank but failed to repeat as tournament champion due to a foot injury.

Hoost lost the #1 ranking to Bob Sapp in 2002 and fail to regain it in a rematch. Sapp then lost the rank to Mirko Filipovic who never defended it and dropped 5 ranks after going a full calendar year inactive. The #2 ranked fighter at the time was Akio Mori of Japan who claimed the vacant rank by defeating Rick Roufus. Mori defended the rank 4 times before losing it to Sem Schilt on April 29th.

Schilt will hold the rank until either inactivity drops him or an opponent seizes the rank. Bouts in the semi or final of a tournament do NOT count as ranking matches.

On the same evening, Ruslan Karaev broke into the top 20 by taking #16 away from Stefan Leko.

Hong Man Choi defended #17 against Sylvester Terkay.

Alexander Ustinov (in Seoul, South Korea) defended #11 against Paul Slowinski.

The night before (4/28) Kaoklai Kaennorsin retained #7 with a draw against Hiromi Amada.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Sem Schilt takes #1 Rank - 05/01/06 02:54 AM

Thanks for the update, but i think it would be better suited to the Kickboxing forum to be honest- they arent even permitted to clinch in K1, let alone grapple
Posted by: CKO

Re: Sem Schilt takes #1 Rank - 05/01/06 03:17 AM

OOPS! Sorry about that.
I was careless.
Kickboxing does qualify as a mixed martial art though.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Sem Schilt takes #1 Rank - 05/01/06 07:09 AM

I don't know HOW when it isn't mixed.....

It's all good though. No harm.

-John