"Off" Days

Posted by: JKogas

"Off" Days - 04/29/06 06:59 PM

Ever had those days? Your whole game is shot or you do things completely out of character and nothing really seems to go as easy as it normally does??

I think that anytime you're training in a more "alive" art (athletic), you're more prone to having those off days/nights for whatever reason. Either your focus isn't where it needs to be or you're "thinking" too much and not in a zone.

What about you guys and gals??

-John
Posted by: MattJ

Re: "Off" Days - 04/29/06 08:12 PM

Definitely still have them, although the more experience you have, the less they affect you IMHO. You have more tools to cover your weakness at the time.

But nobody's perfect. I have eaten enough punches and taken enough submissions to just accept it as a bad day, and move on. Often the next practice is much better.

"Off" is probably more a function of the ego, anyway. Should it matter if you are "off" when you are training? Hell, that's pretty much what training is for, LOL.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: "Off" Days - 04/29/06 08:21 PM

You're right about not having the off days bother you. They certainly don't for me other than knowing that I have to have a different approach mentally the next time out. That is where it all resides.

I wasn't focused today as I normally am. Usually I'm so in the moment that I can generally flow with whatever.

Not today for some reason. Too many things going on OUTSIDE of the gym for me to be able to completely zero in on what was in front of me.

-John
Posted by: oldman

Re: "Off" Days - 04/29/06 08:37 PM

You pretty much discribed my last 3 weeks. I was on a lovely little roll and then ...SSSSKEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRKBoom. Yesterday was my first "Good" Training day in in a long time. John I don't think it has anything to do with training live. Trust me you can have sucky days in the pretend fighting arts too.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: "Off" Days - 04/30/06 04:01 AM

Certainly do. Sometimes I know going in it is not going to be a good day but I push it anyways. Everything I try doesn't seem to work and then I resort to using my strength for my short comings that day and end up burning out too fast. Thankfully there are good days to remind me that this is only temporary.

Maybe this is something deep and to humble us a bit or just to give you the incentive to work harder again. Or maybe it is just an off day and I'm putting too much into my thought process because it is late.
Posted by: Cord

Re: "Off" Days - 04/30/06 01:00 PM

Anyone who has more than one 'on' day per month in mA training is just showing off as far as I am concerned
I spend most of my time marvelling at how good my fellow students are in comparison to me