A profesional league for mma?

Posted by: IronBones

A profesional league for mma? - 04/14/06 03:46 PM

I was going through this magazine the other day and found out that theres going to be a fight league for mma. There are 4 coaches and 4 teams right now. Each team has 5 fighters all of a different weight class. When a fight takes place it's a best of three series for each team. At first I thought this was a joke but then I saw some of the names of the coaches, Bas Rutten, Renzo Gracie, Maurice Smith, and Pat Miletich. The first event will be held on april 29th in atlantic city. Heres the website http://www.ifl.tv/ What do you guy's think?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: A profesional league for mma? - 04/14/06 08:06 PM

I recently found out that Bas Rutten left Pride ... maybe this is the reason he did so.
Posted by: g_naed2003

Re: A profesional league for mma? - 04/16/06 07:20 AM

Hi Bas has only stopped doing the bushido shows he still does the main pride shows i think.The IFL could be a good show depends if we get it here in the uk , we are doing well at the moment with Bravo and eurosport.
Deano
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: A profesional league for mma? - 04/16/06 11:01 PM

I don't follow MMA all that much although we have people in our dojo that train in them. I would suggest that if they organize a professional league to do them, it's going to be like the Pillsbury bake-off... where every kitchen needs fresh meat and they'd be more than happy to use anybody that shows up if they can get paid for it.

Promoters don't care about the quality or the welfare of the fighters, they're in it for the money... and only a little of that will ever dribble down to the purses for the fighters until it's as big as NASCAR and getting the same kind of coverage.

Posted by: muaythaiguy

Re: A profesional league for mma? - 04/19/06 01:59 PM

Are the shows going to be ppv-exclusive? I hope at least the preseason show isn't. That way everyone can get a glimpse and a taste for the IFL, so it can draw more of a crowd. I like the idea. Hope it does well, but doesn't tear apart the relationships with other fight organizations.