Addicted/love BJJ

Posted by: Diabolic

Addicted/love BJJ - 04/03/06 10:20 PM

Just wanted to put this up there, this forum been stale for a couple days =)

SOOOOOoo why do you love BJJ? heh, I love hearing that gargling sound, not by me of coarse. I love the fact that I can make someone tap out that is bigger then me, big dif from wrestling. I love the fact that every guy/gal is soo friendly and helpful in my gym environment. I love the fact that its all technique and no so emphasized on power.. I love...the list continues.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Addicted/love BJJ - 04/04/06 11:02 AM

Why?

Because it is honest and you can't hide.

Because it is a wake up call to those who doubt "technique over size".

Because it is fun, win or lose.

Because you can play it so many ways, for a long time and into old age.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Addicted/love BJJ - 04/04/06 11:32 AM

I'm glad you guys enjoy what you are doing! Keep at it.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Addicted/love BJJ - 04/04/06 01:45 PM

This all rings true for me as well and I love grappling. From my recent participation in a competition I have gained some great experiences that will certainly push me even further. I now know in order to get better you don't just need to work with good people but you have to challenge yourself from time to time to take yourself to the next level.

I look at what my Instructor can do. I look at what his Instructors Mike Yackulic (MMA training) and David Meyer (BJJ training) can do and realize there is so much more and it is unlimited what can be done. Just when you think you have it figured out there is something else you have to deal with. Stuff like this leaves me salivating (drooling) knowing I will never run out of possibilities and opportunities.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Addicted/love BJJ - 04/04/06 03:41 PM

Quote:

Why?

Because it is honest and you can't hide.

Because it is a wake up call to those who doubt "technique over size".

Because it is fun, win or lose.

Because you can play it so many ways, for a long time and into old age.

Exactly what Fletch said. I can't add to that.

Page
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Addicted/love BJJ - 04/04/06 05:33 PM

EVERYTHING that Fletch said.

Plus, I see it as a sort of moving meditation in that, I'm not "thinking" a great deal when I'm rolling. I guess I love that no-mind state (which is easy enough for me - some would say )

That flow-state appeals to me a great deal. That and the fact that I can train often without getting NEARLY as banged up as I get when I do hard stand-up. Perhaps I just don't want to have to deal with pain as much as I might have before (while still training in a HIGHLY functional art).

And because it keeps me active. At 41 (in a couple of weeks) that's pretty important.

So many reasons...

-John
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Addicted/love BJJ - 04/05/06 01:31 AM

Quote:

Because it is fun

Sums it up quite nicely.