Online Grappling Training

Posted by: mikez

Online Grappling Training - 03/16/06 04:02 PM

Hello fellow grapplers

This is my first post in this forum, and I want to say that it looks like a great community.

I don't know if many of you have noticed the recent crop of online training programs, especially if you've been seeing the ads in Inside Kung-Fu, etc. Since this is a relatively new concept, it would be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts.

I must say that I help administer one. I won't post the link because I don't want this to become a thread for promoting his program.

I must confess, though, that I am a believer in the potential of online training programs. One has certainly helped me improve, even though I train with a Machado. What are your thoughts?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Online Grappling Training - 03/16/06 06:17 PM

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum. My thoughts are that on-line instructions or DVD's or books are fine if you are already receiving direction from a proficient instructor that have provided you with the basics. I myself own a David Meyer DVD (Machado BB) on armbars from when he came to instruct our class (David is my Instructor's teacher). It brings up questions and I have tried several techniques with others and have worked them through and found very helpful. There was a post of videos not to long ago that included a no gi grappling instructional video and I found this an exciting find. In fact I even tried one of the moves on it with a Judo guy and tapped him out.

Start from scratch? It may be possible but you may never reach your potential like you would with somebody that you can be shown techniques or they can act as a sounding board. Like my Instructor says, if you want to be good you have to work with good people.

Which Machado do you work with? Again welcome.

Re: Online Grappling Training - 03/16/06 07:16 PM

I completely agree. I bought the 3 volume Rigan encyclopedia set, Jean Jacques' two books and video instructional when I first got started. As a beginner, it was all pretty much useless to me since I didn't even understand basic stuff like hip movement and positioning. That's where the mat time and real personal instruction is so important.

BTW I'm a JJ Machado student in So California.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Online Grappling Training - 03/16/06 08:12 PM

Hi mikez.

I have no problem with using online or video instruction as an adjunct to regular, in-class training. I have several groundfighting instructional DVD's, and I visit www.bjj.org and similar sites all the time.

They can NOT replace in-person practice or instruction in any way shape or form.

Re: Online Grappling Training - 03/17/06 01:59 PM

I think you may have misunderstood my question. I don't believe that anyone can learn a fighting art solely by watching a video or reading a book. That's rather absurd.

But in my case, I have my foundation pretty well established through my formal training. For me, it is so much easier to absorb information through my online instructional than it is the books and DVDs that I own. I hate the fact that I spend an hour watching an instructional, and then come away remembering only one (or two if i'm lucky!) techniques for class.

Anyway, that's my .02 on this online instructional trend. Not for everyone, I admit, but certainly another option to help spread the art to those who don't have access to traditional instructional media.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Online Grappling Training - 03/17/06 02:50 PM

Mike, this is the video I really liked that I tried one of the moves and worked well. I've gone over this a few times and find I want to know more. It is no gi grappling but maybe you will find some interesting things on it as well.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6128720650855456750&q=antonio+rodrigo+nogueira