What protective equipment do you use?

Posted by: flgator

What protective equipment do you use? - 03/15/06 02:48 PM

I'm pretty new to BJJ and I'm just starting to do some sparring. I bought a mouthpiece but haven't used it yet. Some guys in class wear cups. One or two wear earprotectors. What do you guys typically wear for BJJ sparring? I'd rather get some advice now than find out the hard way that I should have been using some of this stuff.
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: What protective equipment do you use? - 03/15/06 04:33 PM

Im new to BJJ also and I am thinking about using a mouthpeice and thats about it. I use kneepads now though. Some Gi's have some light ones built into them and they work fine if you dont spar everyday. If you are going to spar everyday it can really do a toll on your knees so protect em. I dont see the need for a cup or headgear.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: What protective equipment do you use? - 03/15/06 05:55 PM

Have a cup but will only use if doing a tremendous amount of groundwork as I find it digs in too much. It is a hockey cup so maybe if they design one specifically for grappling I would certainly take a look at it. When doing armbars if you don't get in close enough (and you should), then your opponents elbow is right on your groin and without the cup it can really be bad news. Also all of that rolling around it wasn't until recently that I got kneed twice that I even considered wearing one.

I also have the mouth guard but will only use when we do full contact from stand up, to take down, to grappling and ground 'n pound. Otherwise unless you compete it may not be needed.

Knees have never bothered me so have never considered pads. Did some long day classes where many had sore knees and said they were going to wear them next time but "so far" I have not felt I needed them.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What protective equipment do you use? - 03/15/06 06:08 PM

I have RARELY used a cup in the near 11 years that I have been training grappling. That span includes a LOT of time going all-out, and I've never been hurt (other than minor stuff). You learn to protect yourself when you train without.

A mouthpiece is more important (to me) because there are times when your opponent will cross-face you (particularly from cross-sides top). Driving that shoulder into your jaw will make you glad you have something to bite down on. That shoulder pressure can be very grinding.

Cups just seem to get in my way. Its probably better to learn to protect yourself anyway. If you're going into competition, that's another matter. For training though, I don't feel you need one. But, that's just my opinion.

Tape for the fingers is always a good idea as is compression for the knees/ankles.

Good luck!

-John
Posted by: Dereck

Re: What protective equipment do you use? - 03/15/06 06:21 PM

Good points John. The cup I won't for training but when we free grapple and ego is involved then I will try to wear it ... and in a competition I think I might as well. Also I'm going to start taping my small toes as I have now more then once broke it or sprained it.
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: What protective equipment do you use? - 03/16/06 02:16 AM

Speaking of taping up toes and fingers together. I have not been doing this too long and maybe since im a NOOB alot of it has to do with my poor technique. I find myself about every other day bending a toe or a finger in the wrong direction, how often are you guys spraining/breaking toes/fingers. Currently there are 2 guys in my class with broken fingers. Ah, this has brought up another thing. I noticed today that there were at least 3 guys wearing rib harness things. 2 of them have cracked ribs and the other guy I think just hurt his pretty badly. I can completly see broken or cracked ribs happening to me if I continue this throughout the years. Comments plz.
Posted by: flgator

Re: What protective equipment do you use? - 03/16/06 02:14 PM

I'm a little suprised no one mentioned ear protection. One guy in my school has only been doing it about 6 months and has had an ear drained twice. Hopefully I will recognize early signs if I start to cauliflower and go to the ear guards. The only time I have felt the need for a cup so far is in an armbar. Sometimes I'm not sure which of us is supposed to be in the submission hold.