Thinkin about doin MMA but the price is insane

Posted by: shotokanwarrior19

Thinkin about doin MMA but the price is insane - 03/09/06 11:03 PM

I'm thinkin about starting MMA because i have been doing shotokan karate for 8 years and i've achieved black belt, and now i want to further my knowledge by doing some MMA. I found a school by my house that teaches muay thai, boxing and BJJ but the classes are either 6 months for 139 bucks per month or 12 months 119 dollars per month. My karate school was like 50 bucks per month, but i don't pay anymore because i help with the teaching, but that seems really unreasonable, but i could be wrong. How much is it for you guys? thanks
Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: Thinkin about doin MMA but the price is insane - 03/09/06 11:46 PM

Commercial schools tend to be very expensive, esspetially if they are doing BJJ.

Keep looking, there are often smaller groups around that get together in garages and basements that will be a lot cheaper to train with.
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: Thinkin about doin MMA but the price is insane - 03/10/06 12:01 AM

I pay $130 month unlimited attendance in BJJ. Currently I am going 4-5 nights from 6:30-8:30/9:00. In my area all the BJJ studios charge that price some even more.
Posted by: shotokanwarrior19

Re: Thinkin about doin MMA but the price is insane - 03/10/06 09:05 AM

thanks for the replies so far guys. My other concern is that the classes are only one hour long. They are offered 5 nights a week though, but i am in college and i do work so i doubt i would make more than 2-3 a week. So i'm not sure what i should do yet, i'm gonna go try it out sometime this week and talk to the instructor about it i guess. thanks again for the replies
Posted by: JohnC

Re: Thinkin about doin MMA but the price is insane - 03/11/06 05:31 PM

If the classes are anything like the ones I attend, you might find that an hour is enough. They're stuctured quite differently to the other classes (non MMA) I've done, and you're moving & doing fairly intense drilling/sparring pretty much the whole lesson.

On this aspect at least, I'd suggest asking for a "taster" lesson before you judge it too harshly.
Posted by: mikez

Re: Thinkin about doin MMA but the price is insane - 03/16/06 04:24 PM

My classes are $195 for unlimited, at the JJ Machado academy in Tarzana.

It's pretty crazy. I used to pay $60 per month training Kenpo Karate, so you can imagine my horror.

Mike