Grappling dummy

Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Grappling dummy - 02/21/06 08:58 PM

Does anyone own one and is it worth paying for. I need to pick on someone other than the wife and kid
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/22/06 12:50 AM

I can rent you MattJ for $450/month.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/22/06 01:08 AM

On a more serious note

http://www.bubbadummy.com/
Posted by: Street_Poet

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/22/06 03:06 AM

Quote:

On a more serious note

http://www.bubbadummy.com/

LMFAO!!! this CANNOT BE SERIOUS! BUBBA???? this has GOT to be fake.

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/22/06 06:10 AM

Man that is expensive, i hope it is worth it!
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/22/06 07:10 AM

Grappling dummies are a waste of time and money....unless of course you plan to wrestle a corpse.

-John
Posted by: schanne

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/22/06 07:57 AM

Forget about it, it like owning "Bootylicious" the blow up doll.............not that I would know.

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/22/06 08:12 AM

Not even to work on techniques? i think it will be a helpful thing being able to go thru the motions over and over again. I know nothing beats a live person, but just being able to work on my skill and positioning on the dummy will be good. i only grapple 2 times a week i dont think i get enough drills in. I just might try it.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/23/06 12:25 PM

I suppose you could but the "non resistant factor" would bother me to much."Bootylicious" $29.99
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/24/06 07:37 PM

I think for the money, you could invest in some training....personal, video or books. I think the novelty of having your own grappling dummy would wear off rather quickly.

Sew arms on a heavy bag if you need to.
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/24/06 09:08 PM

http://www.wrestlingadam.com/
Posted by: DragonTiger

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/25/06 09:17 AM

You could make your own. It's really the only economical way to have one. Search google and you should find the website that tells you how to do it. It's good to practice technique, refine technique or (muscle) memorize techniques. However, you'll need to train with other people to be a good grappler. Basically you have to make a lifesize Gumby. Go to the home improvement store and get some heavy duty cable/wire that stays bent when bent. Then you wrap it with pipe covering insulation. Like the ones you would put on a bmx bike handlebars. Next you wrap that with duck tape. You could cut a canvas tarp and duck tape that around it if you want. For the head, you can turn a cheap plunger upside down and put a roll of newspaper or aluminum foil on it. Then duck tape that all together. Good Luck.
Posted by: stryker505

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/25/06 07:06 PM

Grappling dummies have value. They allow you to develop muscle memory. If you practice the technique on the dummy enough, it will be ingrained in your memory and you will perform the technique without thinking about it. Here is a link to the dummy I use for grappling/striking:

http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/auction/92340539

It's made by I&I Sports. I have tried their link but it isn't working. I have heard of guys making thier own by stuffing clothes and making a dummy.

Good luck and stay safe!!

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/25/06 08:58 PM

Quote:

If you practice the technique on the dummy enough, it will be ingrained in your memory and you will perform the technique without thinking about it.

Yes....on the dummy.

I have to seriously disagree that practicing endless static reps on a dummy is good for much more than a superficial familiarization with a move, which is over in the first 10 minutes of the instructional phase. After that, it would be of little use.

A story I heard from Matt Thornton about his friend Burton Richardson....Burton was training in Hawaii with Baret Yoshida who is best known for his spectacular guard game, specifically triangles and armlocks. Burton asked Baret how he got so good at armlocks, hoping to pick up some secret to mastery. Baret replied that whenever he came to class, he did 50 on the left and 50 on the right. Burton had his answer and went out and got a grappling dummy and started practicing. Baret came in and saw him doing rep after rep on the dummy and asked him what he was doing. Burton replied that he was doing just what Baret said and that he was doing even way more than 50 so he would get REALLY good. Baret laughed and clarified that he meant that he rolled with students and stayed on the mat until he had 50 armlocks on the left and 50 on the right....in sparring.

I don't think Burton touched the dummy after that. I recalling this from memory. I hope it's not too far off if Burton reads it.
Posted by: stryker505

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/26/06 07:48 PM

That's a great story!! I work out at a Machado school and as a beginer- we would work on this dummy that they had there. Not exclusively or course. It's also a great way to refamiliarize your self with certain techniques you haven't used in a while in preparation for belt tests.
Muscle memory has served me well both in martial arts class and on the job. Drill, drill, drill and then drill some more. I can perform a magazine exchange with lightning speed. I didn't learn to do that just by doing it at the range.

Stay Safe Fletch!!

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/26/06 10:44 PM

Interesting...Have you had a belt test yet?

I would think that if there was another person to work with, the dummy would be collecting dust. I really think there is a limited application for it for a student after the first month or two.
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: Grappling dummy - 02/27/06 12:33 AM

All tools are beneficial if you use them in the right way.
Posted by: kare

Re: Grappling dummy - 12/30/08 07:30 PM

Grappling dummy's are good to practise your position hold downs as well as your breathing techniques and your throws....if you have the space and money why not!
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Grappling dummy - 12/30/08 08:39 PM

IT's certainly better than nothing and probably good for complete beginners like Fletch said but if you have a live partner that's peferable. Complete compliance is good to have sometimes to work on memorizing techniques while doing them perfectly but a few minutes of lvie grappling is better than an hour of grappling on a dummy. I think working striking without a partner works out better than working grappling without a partner. But either way a partner does more good.

That being said I'd give anything to AT LEAST have a dummy or SOMETHING!
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Grappling dummy - 01/05/09 10:57 AM

Interesting post. I used a grappling dummy for the first time ever a few days ago. I wasn't grappling, but practicing throws.

I think it's a great tool, at least within the context I used it in. And it's the only way you can practice throwing when you don't have a partner. I'm not sure I would use it for grappling practice though. You just have to know the best way to use the thing, and not expect miracles from it.

I posted my experience in detail in the Judo section if anybody is interested in the gory details of my training experience. I think the thread was called "training with a grappling dummy" or something like that.