Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top (Blocking guard)

Posted by: JKogas

Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top (Blocking guard) - 11/30/05 06:55 PM

Fundamental 5 (etc)

Ok, here’s the thread you all wanted – the Fundamental 5.

Here they are again, listed in the revised order that Matt Thornton sees as their natural order (the order in which you will encounter their "necessity"):

1. Blocking out the guard
2. Locking in position
3. Killing the inside arm
4. Controlling the far elbow
5. The Floating top game

And the 6th fundamental (my OWN inclusion to this list)

6. The “Harness” game (taking the back)

What I’m going to do is provide my OWN perspective on these various fundamentals based on my experience with them.

In this first post, we'll just deal with blocking out the guard:

This is the first fundamental because without doing this, you’ll just wind up right back inside of someone’s guard and any effort you used to pass it will have been all for nothing. You don't want that, do you?!

Blocking out the guard is a relatively simple process accomplished by keeping his hip in check. Notice I said "simple". Don't confuse that with "easy". That depends on how good your timing is versus how good your opponent's ability to create space is.

You keep the hips in check by keeping either your knee, bicep or your own hip tight against his hip (on the near side to you obviously).

When I use my knee to block out, I will sometimes adjust to my opponent when he creates space by continually sliding my knee back up against him, maintaining tightness to him.

Many times I’ll use my arm to block the hip out. This is particularly true when I’m “walking the clock” (moving from 9 to 3 on the clock with my opponent’s head by 12:00 and his legs being 6:00. Always stay away from 6).
I run my arm all the way to the bicep against his hip on the near side and hug tight (my other arm is usually staying tight as well against his far arm and is helping me hug tight to my opponent).

Sometimes I will sit out using my own hip against his hip (kesure kesa gatame / modified scarf). Whichever way you choose will accomplish the same objective - which is again, to prevent him from easily bringing his legs underneath your cross-sides position and recovering his guard.

You can create an isolation drill to practice your timing, having your opponent try and only obtain the guard as you practice blocking his attempts. Everyone has a different style in jiu-jitsu. I accomplish these fundamentals in my own way. But, the underlying concept is absolutely critical, regardless of how it’s done. Those three methods of blocking the guard (knee, arm or hip) need to be in place to make it as hard as possible to keep someone from easily recovering the position.

To make it short, it’s really no more complicated than sticking something in his hip and keeping it there. Timing is important. Also, understanding how to lock in position will do a lot for your ability to prevent someone from easily shrimping away and obtaining the guard – but that’s another of the fundamental 5 and that's coming up.

More to come…

-John
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 11/30/05 07:32 PM

John, is blocking the guard mostly for when you are in side or front mount (over top of the head)? If I'm understanding this correctly, and forgive if I'm not, when you have your weight over their body and you are moving around the clock ... which is why I was thinking of side mount ... you are using say your arm to keep him in check by placing it against his hip? Or when you are in side mount you may have your knee up against his hip? I'm trying to visualize the bicep but nothing comes to mind. Maybe I'm thinking of this in the wrong context.

Like Matt we certainly appreciate you doing this because the more I learn the better. If I get it from my Instructor or a DVD or a seminar or from this forum, I can put it all together and try it on the mat. (Try it on Matt )

So if I'm misunderstanding you please forgive me. In the other post about pinning you said visual would help and I'm think that I agree but we will do our best to learn from you just be prepared for questions. Thanks

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 11/30/05 08:12 PM

Dereck wrote:

Quote:

John, is blocking the guard mostly for when you are in side or front mount (over top of the head)?

Predominantly yes. I use the term “cross-sides’ (aka, “side control”) to refer to ANY position on top, other than the mount. This would include, cross-body, side body (modified scarf), reverse side body (reverse scarf where you’re facing the feet) knee on belly and north-south. Anytime you’re in these positions, you need to firstly block out the guard.

Quote:

If I'm understanding this correctly, and forgive if I'm not, when you have your weight over their body and you are moving around the clock ... which is why I was thinking of side mount ... you are using say your arm to keep him in check by placing it against his hip?

Yep. Some folks teach just grabbing the pants on the near side of the hip. I prefer running the arm all the way through to the bicep. This will be your hip-side arm (arm closest to his hips).

Quote:

Or when you are in side mount you may have your knee up against his hip? I'm trying to visualize the bicep but nothing comes to mind. Maybe I'm thinking of this in the wrong context.

Keeping the hip-side knee tight against his hip will block out his guard. Actually, some are placing the knee a little higher up near the waist now. Try that and see how it works for you.

As far as the bicep is concerned, you’re lying flat across your partner. Place your bicep tight against his hip with your forearm under his legs and behind his butt. Your palm needs to be facing toward you so you can achieve a better pulling motion (you’ll be hugging with a slight pulling motion inward toward you). Don’t pull so hard that you have a death grip and tire yourself out though.

Quote:

Like Matt we certainly appreciate you doing this because the more I learn the better. If I get it from my Instructor or a DVD or a seminar or from this forum, I can put it all together and try it on the mat. (Try it on Matt )

No sweat. I’m no black belt by any means but I’m more than happy to share my experiences with you. Please bear in mind that this comes from more of a no-gi perspective although all of these fundamentals work using a gi as well.

Quote:

So if I'm misunderstanding you please forgive me. In the other post about pinning you said visual would help and I'm think that I agree but we will do our best to learn from you just be prepared for questions. Thanks

Questions are good . That’s what these forums are for! Lets have some fun.

-John
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 11/30/05 08:52 PM

John, this is great stuff.

Now, if I am understanding you correctly, typically you would be using knees to block guard if you are "sitting up" ie; not belly-to-belly/chest with the opponent?

It seems that using your arm to block guard would be easier when you're upper body is lower (chest-to-chest), where you could more easily reach his hip with your hand. I guess this varies depending on exactly which position we're talking about.

If you have "knee-ride" mount, is there a preferred way to place the knee (ie; more parallel and higher to his sternum or more perpendicular and lower along the abs)?

Sorry for the 8 billion questions.

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 11/30/05 09:09 PM

Quote:

John, this is great stuff.

Now, if I am understanding you correctly, typically you would be using knees to block guard if you are "sitting up" ie; not belly-to-belly/chest with the opponent?

You’re going to have to explain what you mean a little further Matt. When you say “sitting up”, are you describing a modified scarf hold position?

Like this: http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~judo/Kesure-Kesa-Gatame.jpg

That’s the only time I can think of where I’ll be sitting up (the rest of the time I'm going to stay low). If you’ll look at the picture there, you’ll see that your HIPS are what are blocking out the guard in that position.

Quote:

It seems that using your arm to block guard would be easier when you're upper body is lower (chest-to-chest), where you could more easily reach his hip with your hand. I guess this varies depending on exactly which position we're talking about.

More of than not, you WILL be lower and chest to chest, with the exception of the side body positions and the knee ride. But you’re right, that’s where I use the bicep to block the guard – when I’m low and have my chest over his.

Quote:

If you have "knee-ride" mount, is there a preferred way to place the knee (ie; more parallel and higher to his sternum or more perpendicular and lower along the abs)?

Different people do it different ways. In training, I keep it low over the belly (so long as you keep the other leg away from your opponent where he can't easily grab it and dirupt your balance). When you go higher you can cause a LOT of “discomfort”. There are no hard and fast rules so experiment and find your own way of riding. Its use is different when wearing a gi as you can pull upward on the cloth at the belt and the collar.

I tend to control an arm and pull tightly up behind the neck with the knee on belly. It’s a temporal position that can degrade quickly with no-gi. I use it to set things up (submission or the mount) and don’t try to “hold” it as a static position. That’s just me.

Quote:

Sorry for the 8 billion questions.

Look at my post count. Do you really think I MIND, lol?

-John

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 11/30/05 09:32 PM

Quote:

You’re going to have to explain what you mean a little further Matt. When you say “sitting up”, are you describing a modified scarf hold position?

Like this: http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~judo/Kesure-Kesa-Gatame.jpg

Exactly John. I do not know the common terms for a lot of these moves, so bear with me.

I noticed in that picture that the figure doing the Kesa-Gatame had his knee next to (under?) the shoulder of the opponent. That is actually what I was referring to, although I am glad that you pointed out that the hip is actually the main block.

I assume if the figure doing the Kesa-Gatame was facing the opponent's feet in the picture, he would want to have his near knee on the opponent's hip or thigh as well, to help prevent rolling out?

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 11/30/05 10:30 PM

Quote:

Exactly John. I do not know the common terms for a lot of these moves, so bear with me.

No problem main.

Quote:

I noticed in that picture that the figure doing the Kesa-Gatame had his knee next to (under?) the shoulder of the opponent. That is actually what I was referring to, although I am glad that you pointed out that the hip is actually the main block.

Yeah...SORT of under his shoulder. It'll be actually be more under his elbow/tricep. I usually don’t get the leg that high to where it would actually be under his shoulder (near his neck). That’s more Kesa gatame whereas we’re talking Kesure kesa gatame (this isn’t to say that it’s impossible to get the leg under the shoulder).

I try and get my opponent's near elbow and tricep onto my thigh. I just don’t want his elbow hitting the mat if possible. If that happens and he begins to scoot out, I have to change position. That really isn’t a problem though.

When your opponent does get his elbow to the mat, he will often expose his far arm to the shoulder lock (Americana, etc). Be ready for that.

Quote:

I assume if the figure doing the Kesa-Gatame was facing the opponent's feet in the picture, he would want to have his near knee on the opponent's hip or thigh as well, to help prevent rolling out?

Yeah, you’ll be using your knee nearest your opponent to control that hip.

Here’s a variation of the positions of “side body”: When you sit out with your hips, contort your upper body so that it’s still somewhat face down on your opponent. In other words, don’t sit up when you sit out. Practice that variation when your opponent tries to create space with his arm by sitting out so your leg slides underneath his elbow (which is pushing against your hip). Then turn your hips back over and get TIGHT to him! That will work to kill the arm (fundamental number three).

You can ALSO do that when you sit out in reverse side body (facing the feet). Sit out keeping your torso flat when his leg comes inward as he tries to obtain the guard. You’ll find that his leg will stop at your hip and he will be unable to proceed further.

Man it’s hard to explain. Heard the expression, a picture (video here) is worth a thousand words? Well, I’m needing those thousand words to adequately describe this (not that I mind….I can type fairly fast, lol).

-John
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/01/05 12:38 AM

Coool!

These are the details that I took for granted and largely ignored in favor of rolling footlocks, calf cranks and other such junk when I first started. This is where the rubber hits the road.

Learn it now or be doomed to learn it later when you realize what a big hole you have in your top game.

In response to MattJ's question:

"Please help us poor, no-BJJ-in-the-area-havin' slobs out with controlling the far elbow. Examples?"

Control of the far side arm is probably as important as blocking out the guard in this situation. Why? Well, the first thing a BJJ student learns to do is shrimp and get on his side to pull guard or duck out the back and go to their knees. You see it in basic headlock escapes, etc. So much so, that you will rarely, if ever see anyone use a headlock or even scarfhold (hon kesa gatame) in a BJJ school as it is regarded as an inferior hold and one step away from the bottom guy escaping. What does this have to do with controlling the far side arm? Plenty.

Controlling the far side arm give the top player a lever to both lift and control the bottom guy as well as totally shutdown his ability to turn to his knees to the open side. If he cannot get his elbow to the floor, it does not matter. He cannot get completely to his knees and stay there. The top guy can just pick up on the elbow and torque him back over.

We control the far side arm in one of several ways.

1. Basic underhook. You are cross side on top with your hips and legs to your opponent's right. Your right arm is under your opponent's left arm/elbow/armpit. Your left arm might be under his neck. You would probably be blocking out the guard with your right knee or your hip.

2. Basic Overhook. Same top position as above but now your left arm is wrapped over his shoulder/ upper arm and under his armpit. In this case, you would probably be blocking out the Guard with your free hand, your knee or your hip.

Control of the far side arm is critical to effective passing and pinning strategy. UFC/KOC veteran Chris Brennan has made the observation that you shouldn't even think of finishing a guard pass without a good far side underhook. Without it, the bottom guy will be out the back and choking you by the time you get passed the legs.

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/01/05 12:44 AM

Quote:

Different people do it different ways. In training, I keep it low over the belly (so long as you keep the other leg away from your opponent where he can't easily grab it and dirupt your balance). When you go higher you can cause a LOT of “discomfort”. There are no hard and fast rules so experiment and find your own way of riding. Its use is different when wearing a gi as you can pull upward on the cloth at the belt and the collar.

I've practiced similar to this and have had it done to me as well. Usually keeping close will slide the knee on the stomach, grab the belt and then the collar while sliding the knee up to the solarplex and exploding upwards pulling the belt and the collar while focusing my downward force into the solarplex. Trained but I haven't used it effectively as of yet. Have had it used effectively on me so I know it works when it does. I believe you can also keep it on the stomach but if a guy has strong abs it will have less effect. In this case a jack hammering type of motion with your knee will catch him in between breaths and clenching and can work as well

In side control to keep in close I try to put my one knee up against their head while that same arm/elbow pressed up against their head. Depending on how long their body is I try to put the other knee as far down as I can on the body. Have you had much effect with this? This does create a little space for him as you cannot sink yourself as much on them but my hopes is that an arm will become a target when they try to move me. If things aren't working out then I can easily abandon it and do a sprawl and put my whole weight on their chest and move which ever way with them to try to keep this position. Your idea with the hand controlling the hips I have not tried and this is something I want to try on the mat next time. With the hand I will be able to feel him move either way ... if he moves away I can move more effectively with him ... if he moves into me I will feel the pressure and can move the opposite way. If I'm able to get a hand hold of his pants this will make it much easier. It is a feeling thing.

My fear is loosing this top position with my hand in this position. My hopes are that the longer I'm on top baring my weight down on him that this will tire him out more thus giving me the upper hand to try something else that he will be less effective to stop because he is tired.

Now with my hand on his hip and in the sprawl with my weight on his chest, where would you have your upper arm? Would you try to have this under his head? I'm thinking no as this could be trapped if he just reached back and grabbed his own shoulder. Then he could limit my moving with him and allowing him to shrimp push off me with his free arms and using his feet and reverse the situation.

I don't want to leave my hand out as a post because again he could trap this behind his head. Would you have your arm across his throat ... or is that not legal? Over top and away from his head and outstretched? I'm trying to picture it in my head but come up blank. If I was on a mat with somebody (mat not Matt ) then I might be able to better explain it.

Hope that give you something to work with? Looking forward to your answers. Thanks John.
Posted by: ToddR

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/01/05 11:03 AM

Thanks for the link to the DCU Judo Club! That's a great resource. I just started judo as a way to get some grappling training in (since there are no BJJ schools close to me, right MattJ?) and I was a little overwhelmed with all the Japanese terminology ("uhhhhhh, so that's a 'scarf hold' right?) It's also really helpful to have that link to the belt curriculum since the judo kai I'm attending seems to be less structured than some places I've trained. I like to know what I'm supposed to be working on esp. when I start a new martial art.

Thanks again JKogas. Great post. BTW, aren't you in North Carolina? I'm from Southern Pines and went to college in both Chapel Hill and Boone.

ToddR
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/01/05 12:11 PM

Dudes...

Just read through the thread. Great technical posts! I am going to go over this one a few times.

-B

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/01/05 02:02 PM

Quote:

Basic underhook. You are cross side on top with your hips and legs to your opponent's right. Your right arm is under your opponent's left arm/elbow/armpit.

Ahhhh.....very interesting. I have been shown so far to place my right hand by the opponent's near hip, to be ready to block the guard.

I guess you just have to be very aware of the opponent trying to hook his legs over for a pass? Or does it matter since you have his upper body locked out (so to speak)?
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/01/05 02:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Basic underhook. You are cross side on top with your hips and legs to your opponent's right. Your right arm is under your opponent's left arm/elbow/armpit.

Ahhhh.....very interesting. I have been shown so far to place my right hand by the opponent's near hip, to be ready to block the guard.

I guess you just have to be very aware of the opponent trying to hook his legs over for a pass? Or does it matter since you have his upper body locked out (so to speak)?

Locking in the upper body will not, in itself, block the guard. You block out the guard using your hand, knee or hip. Sometimes you obviously need the blocking hand somewhere else. Maybe to help set up a finish or to help counter an escape. In this case, you replace your hand with your knee or hip and can go to work with your hand without losing position.

Nothing wrong with using your hand to block him from pulling guard. These are all different parts of the game based on strategy.

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/01/05 05:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks again JKogas. Great post. BTW, aren't you in North Carolina? I'm from Southern Pines and went to college in both Chapel Hill and Boone.

ToddR

North Carolina indeed. I love Chapel Hill! Been to Southern Pines as well as Boone (pretty much all over this state).

Keep the questions coming guys if you have them. Between Fletch and I, we'll find out where to GET the answers if we don't have them ourselves.

-John

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/01/05 07:24 PM

Quote:

Keep the questions coming guys if you have them. Between Fletch and I, we'll find out where to GET the answers if we don't have them ourselves.

Hey John, I posted one above that may have got missed. Thanks.

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/01/05 08:14 PM

Quote:

In side control to keep in close I try to put my one knee up against their head while that same arm/elbow pressed up against their head. Depending on how long their body is I try to put the other knee as far down as I can on the body. Have you had much effect with this?

I’ve done a lot of different things over the years. Now I’m working something that the SBG refers to as “Crush Sides” (derivation of “cross-sides" obviously). The majority of this will be detailed in the “Locking in position” fundamental (one of the fundamental 5). We’ll talk a lot more about this when that thread is posted (which is coming up next).

To briefly discuss this position, I go underneath my partners head/neck with one arm (referred to as a crossface) and my opposite arm goes underneath my partners far arm (underhook). So, one arm is under his head and neck and the other arm is between his far arm and ribcage (armpit) and under the shoulder. I have both my hands together with both palms facing me. Both of them are placed under his shoulder blade. This allows me to pull inward toward me. That slight pulling motion is important. I drop the head side shoulder downward onto his jaw. My head side leg will straighten out, staying off my knee. I drive with my toes. This creates a good bit of pressure into my opponent’s jaw.

Nothing stays static with me. Sometimes I do different things to elicit different responses. It takes some time before you can begin to develop a feel for how to create the crushing game. You only get that by rolling and alive drilling. Some fundamentals need to be in place though such as, keeping tight to your opponent (pulling yourself to him with a slight pulling motion of your arms and thrusting your chest out – similar to doing a seated row). You have to try different things. Hopefully you have good partners (and are one yourself) where you can create a good environment to train in. Then you can freely experiment. That’s of tremendous importance!

Quote:

My fear is loosing this top position with my hand in this position. My hopes are that the longer I'm on top baring my weight down on him that this will tire him out more thus giving me the upper hand to try something else that he will be less effective to stop because he is tired.

If you’re training, you should NEVER fear losing position. Address that first. You should go into training with the attitude of exploration and experimentation. If you lose a position, that means you’ve just gained valuable experience. The more of that you rack up, the less such a thing will happen.

Quote:

Now with my hand on his hip and in the sprawl with my weight on his chest, where would you have your upper arm?

You’ll be wanting to have your arm over his shoulder and underneath or tightly against his far-side arm. I try and get my radial bone underneath my opponent’s elbow. I place my palm flat on his torso (no-gi). If you’re rolling with a gi, you can grab onto his lapel or just grab some cloth. Then you’ll have control of that far elbow (pretty important there).

Quote:

I don't want to leave my hand out as a post because again he could trap this behind his head. Would you have your arm across his throat ... or is that not legal? Over top and away from his head and outstretched? I'm trying to picture it in my head but come up blank. If I was on a mat with somebody (mat not Matt ) then I might be able to better explain it.

Hope that give you something to work with? Looking forward to your answers. Thanks John.

Think of hugging. How would you hug someone you love and haven’t seen in a long time (with clothes on)? The key is to hug your opponent tight (though not a death-grip). You’ll have one arm against the hip (using your bicep) and your other arm will be tightly hugging on the opposite side. Work your radial bone/forearm under your opponent’s elbow and your hand is palm up underneath his back. Squeeze both elbows in and use that slight pulling motion to hug.

I HOPE I described this position ok………………

-John

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/01/05 08:46 PM

Fletch and JKogas -

Thanks very much for the details. This has been very helpful. I like the "jaw pressure" idea, too. I was shown a "smothering" technique using the shoulder in a similar manner by Larry Hartsell years ago. He actually used his shoulder to crush over your mouth and nose, making it very hard to breathe. Very uncomfortable. Even better if you have loose clothing (jacket or gi) - it gets all in your mouth and up your nose. *snort*

He showed us this from top mount though, not side control, but the idea is similar.

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/02/05 01:03 AM

Good stuff John, I'm trying to picture in my head and I will give it a try on Monday's class. I did try the hand by the hip tonight and talked it over with my Instructor. He does it similar without grabbing on where he stops his opponents movement by bracing it up against their hip on the one side so that when they try to move that way they can't and so that they try the other way where they can, which is where he wants them to go. He said when we grappled on Tuesday he had done it to me several times, I just didn't realize it. I was wiggling around so much and if I could go one way I went the other way ... little did I know he was leading me and setting me up. This is a game of chess more and more as I think about it. I just have to figure out what works where and when.

Keep it coming ... good stuff. Thanks.

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/02/05 06:57 AM

When *I* use the arm on hip, I'm usually about to go to North-South and work the floating game. I don't really use north-south as a static position as I'm generally in the process of moving from side to side. That's me.

More on the way (I'm writing the first post of the next thread now but it'll be coming this afternoon -- I DO have to go to work occassionally, lol)

-John
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/02/05 07:55 AM

JKogas thanks for contributing this info. And thanks to Fletch for weighing in on it.

It is very useful stuff for any martial artist.

I read alot of manuals. Some done well, others not so good. I think if you two collaborated on aprinciples/techniques manual or primer, it would be phenomenal.

Just my unsolicited $.02

Page

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/02/05 06:19 PM

Quote:

JKogas thanks for contributing this info. And thanks to Fletch for weighing in on it.

Fletch really has a great perspective, I agree. His experience, insight and obvious intelligence really shine through and provide another angle to things I never even think of. We're all pretty fortunate to have his viewpoint here on this forum.

Quote:

It is very useful stuff for any martial artist.

I read alot of manuals. Some done well, others not so good. I think if you two collaborated on aprinciples/techniques manual or primer, it would be phenomenal.

Just my unsolicited $.02

Page

Thank you for the very kind words. You never know what the future holds! I can tell you this much, this is exactly what I believe a martial arts forum is all about. Fletch and I are kindred spirits and are pretty much on the same page philosophically. Hopefully we're just beginning to scratch the surface with what can be done on this forum.

Thanks again.

-John
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top (Blocking guard) - 12/10/05 12:34 PM

For those of you who buy training DVDs, Micheal Jen has an EXTREMELY comprehensize DVD on escaping pins and I swear he must have covered every aspect of the side mount.

Granted The focus of this thread is keeping the top position, and his DVD is on escapes, but in order to teach escapes he covers the myriad of things the top man can do to keep you down. It's almost like a two-for-one deal.

It's the best (IMO) DVD I've ever seen on the subject. Worth the money.
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/10/05 01:01 PM

Quote:

As far as the bicep is concerned, you’re lying flat across your partner. Place your bicep tight against his hip with your forearm under his legs and behind his butt.

Another variation to this is to thread your arm under the leg closest to you, and then reach up and hold his far leg at the thigh. This completely prevents him from turning into you.

Also, here are various images of some of the positions mentioned above:

NO GI
http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=103
http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=97
http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=96

IMO, this is the strongest variation of the side mount: http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=95

GI

http://judoinfo.com/images/osaekomi/yoko_shiho_gatame.gif
http://judoinfo.com/images/osaekomi/kuzure_yoko_shio_gatame.gif
http://judoinfo.com/images/osaekomi/hon_kesa_gatame.gif
http://judoinfo.com/images/osaekomi/makura_kesa_gatame.gif
http://judoinfo.com/images/osaekomi/ushiro_kesa_gatame.gif

Sadly, I couldn't find any images of the position I described.
Posted by: combatchaz

Re: Fundamental 5 for cross-sides top - 12/11/05 12:06 AM

Thanks for the www.lockflow.com links!