Crucifix Technique Series at Gracie Barra Tampa

Posted by: Aesopian

Crucifix Technique Series at Gracie Barra Tampa - 11/20/05 07:50 PM

I'm very happy to announce that Gracie Barra Tampa has added a Techniques Section to our website. Eduardo de Lima is very eager to share his knowledge and hopes these techniques will be useful additions to grapplers’ games all over the world.

In this first Crucifix Series, we're trying to offer material that isn't covered elsewhere online, or at least not in such detail. I think you guys will really like the techniques because they are positions that usually aren't trained very often. I personally use the crucifix all the time but find that many guys aren't familiar or comfortable with it, so hopefully these instructionals will help with that. They will come very naturally to anyone who has a game around taking the back, especially a harness game.

One of the things I've always disliked about many of the techniques you see online is how they often don't have enough pictures, and the descriptions are skimpy and leave out a lot of details. If there's a detail like a special grip that you can't see in a photo, why not take a close-up? If something can't be shown in still photos, why not explain it?

That's why we've really tried to get photos of everything, and where we didn't catch it in photos, we tried to address it thoroughly in text.

If anything, I'm worried the descriptions might be too much information, since I actually wrote more than you might learn in a single class (you'd probably want to just start drilling before you heard half of it). My reason for doing this is because I wanted to show the depth of each of these moves, and also offer you several levels of instruction on it.

So even if you read these techniques and only take away half of what we wrote, you'll still have a good idea of what to do in class. Then as you work on it more, you can come back to the techniques on our site and review it to see what else you can add in. Things that didn't make sense or seem important during the first read might be useful when you're trying to troubleshoot the technique later.

You'll see this in particular in the Reverse Omoplata, when we start going over several of the recounters to their counters. You don't really need this information the first time you learn the move, but as you start doing it more and more, you'll run into these problems, and the solutions are waiting for you on the site.

Here's the link in case you missed it above:

http://www.tampabjj.com/techniques/

Let me know if you have any questions about the techniques or any requests for future ones, and I'll see what I can do for you.

Enjoy!

www.tampabjj.com
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Crucifix Technique Series at Gracie Barra Tampa - 11/21/05 10:07 AM

Very nice thank you.

Tell Eduardo that Fletch from Naples said hi. Eduardo is one of the coolest people I have had the pleasure of training with.
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Crucifix Technique Series at Gracie Barra Tampa - 11/21/05 10:17 AM

Thanks for clearing the confusion about crucifixes names.

Gotta admit I never considered the crucifix as reliable. I have this theory about non-reliable technique; Because you think of a technique as unreliable, you don't drill it, and because you don't drill it, you suck at it, making it unreliable for you. It's a vicious circle

I'll train the cattle catch crank as soon as I heal off a back injury. The reverse omoplata, maybe not. I already suck at standard omoplatas so if I have to go through 12897301928 steps and start adding rolls and what not I'll never make it

Thank you for taking your time to inform us.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Crucifix Technique Series at Gracie Barra Tampa - 11/21/05 09:22 PM

Very cool site, Aesopian!

I will be checking these out, thanks. Good Gawd, that "cattle catch" is giving me a headache just looking at the pictures. I have been caught in things like that before - very uncool. Very effective, though.