BJJ in York PA?

Posted by: ToddR

BJJ in York PA? - 10/04/05 12:54 PM

I've posted on this subject before, several months ago, and exchanged e-mails with one member but I thought I'd try again to see if anyone is training BJJ in the York, Pennsylvania area? I know there is a school in Berks County and another one just openend between York, PA and Baltimore but both those schools are well over an hour away and just too far for me to train at on a regular basis. So, if there's anyone in York who is training BJJ or wants to start training please let me know. I'm considering converting my garage into a grappling area but I want to find some people interested in training before I do (I just don't seem to make a lot of progress by grappling myself )
BTW, my school (www.lfmac.com) is hosting a Dave Meyer BJJ seminar on Sat., Nov., 13th. Contact the school for details. Thanks, Todd
Posted by: Boomer

Re: BJJ in York PA? - 10/07/05 12:33 AM

I'm in York, Pa also. We work out in the back of Sparky & Clark's coffee shop on the corner of Newberry and Market Streets. Times are Mon, Wed, Fri, 3pm to whenever we're done. It's very informal, and all we ask is that you sweat. Come check us out.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: BJJ in York PA? - 10/07/05 11:07 AM

Damn my work schedule.

Re: BJJ in York PA? - 10/07/05 12:52 PM

Man, that is good news! I just sent you a PM to get the specifics on where you train. Give me a call when you get a chance.
Thanks very much Boomer.
Todd

Re: BJJ in York PA? - 10/08/05 09:17 AM

I know, my work is seriously interfering with my martial arts! Don't worry Matt, one way or the other we will get some BJJ training in. I'm saving my pennies to get some mats for my garage so I can roll in there. When that happens you and I and anyone else interested can find a time to train -- I believe you said Sundays worked for you. I'll stay in touch.

Re: BJJ in York PA? - 10/08/05 09:23 AM

Awesome! Sundays are about the only days I have free. Looking forward to getting together with you and Boomer (and RangerG!).... eventually.

Re: BJJ in York PA? - 10/08/05 09:25 AM

I've been wondering, what with all the colleges in and around York, PA such as York College, Penn State York, YTI, and a couple others I believe, whether a BJJ/MMA school would succeed here? Don't you think a BJJ school would have decent enrollment at least during the school year? Maybe enrollment would drop off during the summer but I think that typically happens at MA schools anyway. What do you all think about a school like this succeeding in York, PA?

Re: BJJ in York PA? - 10/08/05 09:28 AM

I would think that a MMA school would do quite well here, as there is a serious dearth of good MMA training in the southern York/northern Maryland area.

Re: BJJ in York PA? - 10/09/05 08:23 PM

Boomer, do you know any BJJ blue belts or above who might be interested in teaching BJJ in York, either private lessons or a small class?

Re: BJJ in York PA? - 10/10/05 09:10 AM

Yep, now we just have to convince someone to open a school. I swear, if I found a good BJJ instructor I'd be willing to convert my 2-car garage into a dojo. Anyone? Bueller?

Re: BJJ in York PA? - 10/10/05 12:22 PM

MattJ, I just bought some grappling mats off ebay. I doubt they're thick enough to do throws and takedowns but they should be fine to practice techniques and to roll. It's 100 sq. ft. of mats for $150. Not too bad. I should have them in a week or so, then I'll have to clean out my freaking garage and put the mats together. Should be up and running within two weeks.

Any other York, PA area BJJ-ers out there who want to start training a couple times a week (esp. anybody with a blue belt or above who'd want to help instruct a newbie like me) PLEASE get in touch. PM me. Thanks all.
Todd