Vibrating?

Posted by: MattJ

Vibrating? - 09/30/05 11:20 AM

No, I did not mistake this for the Penthouse forum.

In my grappling class last night, I was whining *ahem* asking my instructor about G'n'P defenses, as I got smeared in the first MMA sparing session I attended.

My problem was the opponent acheiving full mount and pounding me. Heretofore, my escape training did not account for someone punching me at the same time.

So, we worked a couple of defenses that provided for the opponent hitting me whislt I try to escape.

"Vibrating" was one of the things he showed me. He learned it from a Larry Hartsell seminar. It is basically rapid-fire, non-stop bucking with the hips to unbalance the opponent.

I found this quite effective. I was able to unbalance my 250lb instructer (I am about 170lb), and keep him from hitting me even before he got thrown off.

Not sure if this is common in BJJ, but figured I would pass on an interesting experience.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 11:36 AM

I had not heard it called "vibrating" but this technique is a good one. Also while bucking your opponent if you can trap one of his feet with your foot (put your foot on the outside of his) and trap the arm on the same side, with a little momentum you can roll him to his back. You will be in his guard put at least you are not on the bottom.

Or with the bucking you maybe able to grab his body/head and pull yourself or him to you to eliminate any further punching.

Good on you Matt to realize you have a weakness and to search out techniques to help level the playing field. As a note ... I hate being on my back and sometimes feel panicked. I have to learn to relax and think more … and I need to be on my back more so I can train further to escape. Top is great but back is always the hardest to defend from and is why we should work more in this area. Good for you.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 11:57 AM

You bring up something I want to put out there. I am Claustrophobic. Do you think this fear can be overcome while grappling or being held down? Do you think when held down that the person could get extra strength and push off a heavier assailant?

- J
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 12:06 PM

Mr. Moyer,

Feeling claustrophobic is something you will have to get over very quickly if you study grappling. Depending upon how you get wrapped up, you will be balled up underneath someone, perhaps larger than you and you need to be able to think.

One of the things that you have to learn is to control yourself and your fear of being balled up and pressured from the top. Relax for a moment and try to plan your strategy when you are in a compromised position.

I know this easy for me to say since I am not terribly claustrophobic, but getting your head squished into the mat by someone bigger than you and considering how to get out of the situation is a necessary mental tool...and one that can be used outside of grappling.

-B
Posted by: oldman

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 12:48 PM

MM,
There was a recent thread entitled "Panic". There were some informative responses in it. As with any phobia the most common way to overcome it is by gradual exposure to the feared situation. That along with rational thinking (Disputing inaccurate thoughts) can lead to greater freedom and easing of anxiety over time.

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 01:13 PM

Thanks..

Well, if I come across someone bigger than me, I am definitely in trouble. Since I am 6'2", 300lbs.

Thanks, Oldman. I will check out the post.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 01:34 PM

Mr. M,

At that size...why need grappling? It is fun though!

Good luck!

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 01:45 PM

Quote by MrMoyer -

Quote:

Well, if I come across someone bigger than me, I am definitely in trouble. Since I am 6'2", 300lbs.

I'm sorry, but you are not allowed to train anymore. I recently sparred a 6'2", 300lb BJJ guy. Let's just say that it didn't go well for me.

Nobody over *measures self* 5'11", 170 lbs is allowed to train anymore. Sorry big guys.

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 01:51 PM

I might have the size, but yall small people have the quickness...

Now, what would one rather have?? Quickness, size or both?

I guess I can't complain being 300lbs, cuz I can still do the splits...boo-yah..

I watched a fight with Royce Gracie and the dude he went up against was MUCH bigger than him. Gracie took him out but at first I had doubts cuz the guy was soo much bigger...It all comes down to technique...or was it quickness...hhmmm...
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 02:38 PM

Quote:

I found this quite effective. I was able to unbalance my 250lb instructer (I am about 170lb), and keep him from hitting me even before he got thrown off.

Not sure if this is common in BJJ, but figured I would pass on an interesting experience.

The problem with this technique is that it's really really exhausting. If you keep ''vibrating'' for more than just a few seconds, you'll end up gassed out and on the bottom of the mount. Not where you want to be.

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 02:46 PM

Quote by rideonlythelabel -

Quote:

The problem with this technique is that it's really really exhausting. If you keep ''vibrating'' for more than just a few seconds, you'll end up gassed out and on the bottom of the mount. Not where you want to be.

I hear you. I think I could only keep it up for maybe 10-15 seconds max, but I was able to toss my instructor twice, both times under 5-7 seconds. I'll take what I can get for now.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 03:19 PM

"Vibrating" is a useful, initiating move to begin a hip escape which is a core skill in fighting from your back. It should be used with that in mind. The key is to make a sudden vertical shift and in the lag time of your opponent's weight being off you, move and escape your hips a little. A little on each bump and within 5-6, you have enough space to pull guard. It is used in defense to all kinds of pins from mount to side mount, to north south to knee ride.

This should not be confused with simply bucking your hips which will not be terribly effective on anyone with significant experience or who is bigger than you. It will gas you out very quick in that case.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 03:22 PM

The thing with "vibrating", as you are calling it ... is to doing it and if it doesn't work try something else to get their mind off of it. Then later come back to it and try again. With most people I've found that they have an arsenal of moves for sparring or grappling or what have you but they have I guess you can call it their "bread & butter" moves. These they always come back to and it usually works for them. So try one thing and come back to it later. Don't exhaust yourself but definitely give it a good go. For myself and people I've grappled with ... especially the good ones ... they are constantly trying other things keeping me busy. I try to stop them from grabbing on to me and next thing you know the hand I'm trying to stop them with is now in jeopardy. Keep busy and then go for the bread & butter.

Claustrophobic, I always wondered if I was. I just had my MRI on Tuesday and being stuck in that tube for 20 minutes wasn't a party especially with all those noises, clunks, beeps, etc. I had to keep my hands on my stomach to enter otherwise I wouldn't fit in … and I'm not even a huge guy at 5' 8.25" and 200 lbs. Stocky and wide yes, but not huge. Inside the tube I could rest them on the side walls but it was quite uncomfortable. They also had my head braced so I couldn't move it as they were scanning my neck. Felt like ants on my head and I couldn't even scratch. Kept eyes closed most of the time and breathed deeply and slowly so as not to panic. Gave me a panic button but never used it. Just have to keep the mind clear and don't focus on the negative … and breathe properly. If you feel panicked and dwell on it then it becomes worse. Just thought I'd pass that on to you MrMoyer. Take it slow and think about it as fun not as a problem.

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 03:31 PM

Dereck, thanks for sharing.

I have wondered what an MRI would be like and if I could survive one. I have to do exactly what you did to get through it or any other panic situation.

Sorry, but didn't mean to take this off topic of vibrating.

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 03:33 PM

Thanks for the tips, Fletch and Dereck. I should reiterate that this escape was useful for me precisely because it prevented the G'n'P - which was what I was really concerned about.

I have found that strict grappling defenses and G'n'P defenses are a bit different.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Vibrating? - 09/30/05 05:31 PM

I've heard it called PULSING. Imagine trying to hold onto a paint mixer and you get the idea.

It certainly has its time and places.

-John
Posted by: ToddR

Re: Vibrating? - 10/18/05 12:14 PM

This is a ground defense technique I learned in krav maga; they called it "bucking" and it's been well-described by others on this post as waiting until your mounted opponent is rearing back to punch or otherwise is a bit off-balance and then bucking your hips in an attempt to 1)keep him from delivering the punch, and 2)to hopefully make him post forward with his hands on the floor so you can tie him up.

As someone else pointed out already, it's not as successful with really good grapplers who maintain a really high mount position so that their weight is no longer on your hips and there's nothing there to buck.

One technique that might work is one I've seen on Mike Kanarek's FIGHT "Ground Survival" DVDs. When mounted, he suggests reaching both your hands over your face and grabbing the back of your head (pressing your eye sockets into your bicep muscles) to block some of the blows and to keep your head from getting smashed into the ground. And when you have an opportunity, say when your opponent reaches back to punch, elbow him sharply in the top of his thighs ("one-two!") and then immediately go back to your covered-up position. The goal is to make your opponent lurch forward due to the elbow strikes so you can grab his head and try to tie him up.

The other defense Mike Kanarek recommends (this one cracks me up!) is to deploy your tactical folder (because all Haganah practitioners are supposed to carry knives at all times) and stab the opponent in the side. Now THAT's a defense against the mount! (yeah, I have serious issues with the FIGHT/Haganah's use of knives but it is a quasi-military-based street self defense system. So take it for what you will.

BTW MattJ, my grappling mats are on the way so you and I should talk about getting together one Sunday afternoon in the next couple weeks to train. PM me and I'll give you my phone #.
Cheers.
Todd R

Re: Vibrating? - 10/18/05 05:07 PM

See, I should read Fletch's posts more closely, then I'd notice that what I refer to in my post on "bucking" isn't really the same thing that MattJ is talking about, is it?

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if anyone's used the elbow strike technique that I gleaned from the FIGHT DVD. I don't currently do any vale tudo sparring so I haven't had a chance to try it out. The JKD instructor at our school pointed out that maybe the reason I've never seen anyone in the UFC try it out is that they were too busy getting punched and elbowed in the face and head. Good point.
Cheers.
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Vibrating? - 10/18/05 11:06 PM

Quote:

The other defense Mike Kanarek recommends (this one cracks me up!) is to deploy your tactical folder (because all Haganah practitioners are supposed to carry knives at all times) and stab the opponent in the side. Now THAT's a defense against the mount! (yeah, I have serious issues with the FIGHT/Haganah's use of knives but it is a quasi-military-based street self defense system. So take it for what you will.

I don't understand what your beef with this technique is. It's a valid way to escape the mount. Another good way would be to radio in an air strike. Call the Air Force and tell them to carpet bomb the area, preferably using napalm or nerve gas. This is in case he has any friends hiding nearby.

Innocent victims? Personal safety? What do you mean?

The first and only concern of a true warrior is the total annihilation of his enemies!

Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!

*walks away from computer to paint his face with camouflage, then reads last issue of Soldier of Fortune, drools all over the ads for firearms, watches We Were Soldiers, still drooling...*

Re: Vibrating? - 10/19/05 11:02 AM

My own opinions of FIGHT aside , let's not lower this discussion to the point of slamming any system or it's founder.

Stay on topic please.

Re: Vibrating? - 10/19/05 11:04 AM

Awesome post!

Re: Vibrating? - 10/19/05 02:16 PM

Believe me, I have a lot of respect for Mr. Kanarek and if my life depended on it I wouldn't hesitate to use a weapon to defend myself. Nuff said.

Back to the topic (ahem), my BJJ instructor in Seattle used to teach something that sounds like this "vibrating" technique, though the specific application escapes me; basically, you use a 'vibrating' or 'stuttering' motion with your leg to, say, break someone's posture where trying to apply constant force or pressure with that leg isn't working--the idea i think is to apply intermittent bursts of pressure to break an opponent's posture, grip, etc. I wish I could remember the exact application he was talking about. Maybe I'll ask Dave Meyer at his seminar if it seems relevant.

Re: Vibrating? - 10/19/05 03:07 PM

Not to break your opponent's posture....to create space and allow movement. BJJ is not about moving the other guy, it's about controlling and influencing space, moving your self and creating leverage.

Re: Vibrating? - 10/19/05 04:59 PM

Fletch, you sure you don't want to move to York, PA and teach grappling?

Thanks.
Todd

Re: Vibrating? - 10/19/05 06:35 PM

I appreciate the offer. Got my hands full where I am at though.

Good luck with your training.

Re: Vibrating? - 10/20/05 01:18 PM

Hey, you can't blame a guy for trying!