Striking an oponent in your guard.

Posted by: AikiGhost

Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/22/05 10:53 AM

So recently weve started doing a lot more sparring with strikes to the body allowed.

I spend a lot of time with people in my guard or with me on to p in sidemount. Do any experienced MMA players ahve any suggestions for effective striking form these positions? Especially strikes to the body (head shots aren't allowed in my training yet, soon though I guess).

Thanks in advance,
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/22/05 11:27 AM

Ditto.

I have found it extremely difficult to strike from the bottom, since you can not swing your elbow past your body to gain any momentum, nor do you have any appreciable hip torque or weight transfer to add to it.

The only good chance to strike is when your opponent sits up (so you sit up with him), and even then, he is usually sitting up to begin pounding YOU.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/22/05 12:09 PM

Aiki,

I am not experienced and don't even consider myself a MMA guy. But I do "wrasle" a bit in BJJ. I am mostly a standup guy, but one of the reasons why I wanted to learn BJJ was for the very reason that you describe.

From my limited experience, I don't think you can strike well from the guard since as Matt suggested, there is no ready way to put your body into the strikes.

I have always thought of the (standard) guard as a brilliant defensive technique from which to make the top player try to commit to a technique and allows you time to take advantage of his movements to pass guard...setting up sweeps and chokes.
Posted by: pickenjg

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/22/05 01:29 PM

From what I've seen in mma it's not necessarily how hard you hit when on the ground, it's where the strikes land. I'm not sure how many people can take even light strikes to the floating ribs or pressure points with the fingers.

That's just my thoughts on it, but I may be wrong.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/22/05 01:46 PM

Definitely striking while you have somebody in your guard is hard. Limiting the head doesn't help but I think that trying to hit the body will definitely make you think more and quickly if you want to actually strike them. Good training method.

If he passes your guard then you can make strikes to the body much easier ... but why would you want to give up your guard. If he passes your guard then blows to the floating ribs are a must. If not wearing gloves ... and even lightling hitting the body ... a raised middle knuckle over and over to the same spot will really do damage. Even try this on their thigh ... can you say charlie horse.

With you on top in side mount you will have to rely on elbow strikes to the ribs and also use your weight to your advantage and lay it all on them. With them struggling to remove your weight this will give you other opportunities to take a better position or give you an advantage at an appendage becoming available for locking up.

Unforunately like some I don't have all of the answers or know enough but am learning as I go. I can see things in my head and visualize what I want to do ... but as we all know when actually grappling ... things don't always work out ... or you can see something but you just can't get it. Keep trying ... be creative ... see what happens.
Posted by: ChangLab

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/22/05 01:50 PM

I believe striking while in the guard is for making your opponent move from his current position so you can gain an advantage. When someone is struck, the natural reaction is to block or stop the hit. One can use hitting while in the guard to get thier opponent to move as well as to "hurt" them. you don't need to pull way back and try to land a "haymaker" for it to be affective, just use short straight jabs to the soft areas of your opponent, and KEEP hitting, they will move and when they do.USE THE OPPORTUNITY TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.(your opponent will be thinking about avoiding the strikes not advancing thier game.
I hope that made sense.(it's like a jab is to boxing).
Posted by: IronBones

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/23/05 12:19 PM

If your in a fight and in the side control(cross mount), head strikes with elbows will mess somebody up. Or if not that, knee shots to the kidneys.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/23/05 12:42 PM

Quote:

Do any experienced MMA players ahve any suggestions for effective striking form these positions? Especially strikes to the body (head shots aren't allowed in my training yet, soon though I guess).

Thanks in advance,

Grab your opponent's wrist on one side with your opposite hand (cross-grab). Use your opposite hand to hit. you should be wide open. Switch up when he blocks.

Use hitting only to force his guard open and work to pass when he ankles uncross.

-John
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/23/05 04:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Do any experienced MMA players ahve any suggestions for effective striking form these positions? Especially strikes to the body (head shots aren't allowed in my training yet, soon though I guess).

Thanks in advance,

Grab your opponent's wrist on one side with your opposite hand (cross-grab). Use your opposite hand to hit. you should be wide open. Switch up when he blocks.

Use hitting only to force his guard open and work to pass when he ankles uncross.

-John

I think he was reffering to hitting your opponent when YOU are on the bottom. Some people do it. I don't really like to though.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/23/05 06:00 PM

Striking from the bottom of the Guard will almost always be a slow process of wearing someone down and trying to force movement. The only knockout shot coming from a well timed kick or stomp when the guy on top creates space by leaning back or standing up.

Striking from the top of Side Mount can be very effective as long as you do not compromise your ability to hold the guy down. Letting go with your securing arm just to get in another shot, is a high risk with a low pay-off. Too much space and he is out the back door or back in Guard. Better to maintain a good lockdown and work with short, conservative shots with knees, elbows to the head and punches to the body.

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/23/05 07:24 PM

Quote:

I think he was reffering to hitting your opponent when YOU are on the bottom. Some people do it. I don't really like to though.

Damn you're right! I must have completely mis-read the whole thing.

Well that changes everything, lol! As per that, I'm with Fletch (oddly enough). Play spider guard. You're not going to do enough damage striking from the bottom. You gotta control your opponent and work the strikes where you can. The heel kick is going to be your best one for a knock out. That's a solid shot.

Otherwise all you'll have are little annoying shots. I'm usually too busy climbing up and digging for tie-ups to do anything more than maybe hit my opponent with my palms or with the back of my heels.

If you're playing guard, you're going to have to be trying to get back OUT! The energy required to try and keep you down will set up attacks and sweeps.

Shots from the guard (with your fists) will serve a purpose though. If he's trying to posture up, you can unload in his face (straight punching) to get him to hide again. Otherwise, it's unrealistic to think that you can do a lot of damage there unless of course you DO land the heel kick to the face. That should be worked a LOT! Spider guard is something you will to spend a lot of time with.

Hope that helps a little!

-John
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/23/05 07:41 PM

Spider guard again! Doggone it. Damn these too short legs of mine....I'm gonna get rolled.

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/24/05 10:34 AM

Have you experimented with Rubber Guard? Eddie Bravo COULDN'T be much bigger than you are.

If you've not seen it, a GREAT book (by Eddie) is available. You'll need a little flexability..........

Here's a link: Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed

-John
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Striking an oponent in your guard. - 09/24/05 10:45 AM

Quote by JKogas -

Quote:

If you've not seen it, a GREAT book (by Eddie) is available. You'll need a little flexability..........

LOL. Understatement of the century. My rigid ass will NEVER be able to pull the rubber guard off.