Vale Tudo or UFC difference and which came 1st?

Posted by: Neko456

Vale Tudo or UFC difference and which came 1st? - 09/14/05 12:26 PM

Vale Tudo or UFC difference and which came 1st? What are difference in the rules? Which came 1st? I think it was Vale Tudo an assoicate states he never heard of VT until UFC made the scene. I maintain VT existed 1st, whoes right?

I noticed that initally VT guys did well in the UFC arena and so did some of the Pankarantes guys except they lacked striking skills perfering the open palm in their contests.

The VT guys matched up better against the BJJ guys then the others systems. Was it because they were more use to BJJ tactics?
Posted by: trevek

Re: Vale Tudo or UFC difference and which came 1st? - 09/14/05 12:41 PM

I always thought VT was what they did in Brazil years before UFC ever got going.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Vale Tudo or UFC difference and which came 1st? - 09/14/05 01:17 PM

Although there have been NHB type events around the world for many years, in Brazil it was probably the most popular. Vale Tudo fights and events were common long before anyone ever thought of a UFC.

You will notice however, that even though the Japanese had Pancrase and submission fighting, the introduction of BJJ and the Guard completely changed the game. Before Rickson Gracie went to Japan, MMA primarily consisted of wrestling with footlocks.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Vale Tudo or UFC difference and which came 1st - 09/14/05 04:58 PM

Quote:

You will notice however, that even though the Japanese had Pancrase and submission fighting, the introduction of BJJ and the Guard completely changed the game. Before Rickson Gracie went to Japan, MMA primarily consisted of wrestling with footlocks.

Yep. Rickson went over (to Japan) and kicked everyone's behinds, and now EVERYONE trains using a position-based approach like that of BJJ.

-John