Is BJJ anything like this?

Posted by: citrix

Is BJJ anything like this? - 09/10/05 02:23 AM

I've been looking at a lot of martial art movies and came across this style "capoeira" which lead me to this site.
www.multilevelmoves.com

1) Is BJJ anything like the movies in the www.multilevelmoves.com site.

2) Is BJJ similar to capoeira? Because it seems like it
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Is BJJ anything like this? - 09/10/05 03:46 AM

What does this website have to do with BJJ?

(I smell a troll)

Re: Is BJJ anything like this? - 09/10/05 04:36 AM

what do you mean by "this" website...

Fighting arts or multi level moves?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Is BJJ anything like this? - 09/10/05 07:55 AM

Brazilian jiu-jitsu and capoeira share only a few commonalities. Those primarily being that 1) Both are practiced in Brazil and 2) Many capoeira practitioners study BJJ for the fighting aspects (according to what was told to me by a capoeira practitioner).

I had the fortune of knowing a wonderful capoeira stylist. He was a really cool guy and very open-minded about martial arts. He was friends with my old partner at my last school.

He came by and put on an excellent demonstration of capoeira "forms" (dance) performed to the traditional music. Afterward we talked for quite some time and during the course of that conversation, he told me that he wanted to pursue BJJ a lot more because of the more functional fighting methods that the art presented. He also stated that most of the functional "moves" within capoeira came directly from BJJ.

-John
Posted by: mma

Re: Is BJJ anything like this? - 09/12/05 05:08 AM

capoeira is to bjj like bird is to rock. Bird flies in sky and looks pretty but hits rock and dies. Rock sits on ground and looks ugly, but when thrown kills bird.

Re: Is BJJ anything like this? - 09/12/05 06:26 AM

lol, nice way of putting it.
So Capoeira looks better but isn't as effective as BJJ is the way im seeing it? (Sorry if i mis-understood, Not putting down capoeira)

-Citrix
Posted by: trevek

Re: Is BJJ anything like this? - 09/12/05 07:46 AM

I don't see how the functional moves in Capoerra came from BJJ. There are two styles of Cap. one (Angloa) deals a lot with low strikes and ground work (not so much as the grappling styles of BJJ)and is performed (in practice) quite slowly (in comparison). 'Regional' was developed by Mestre Bimba from old cap styles and added aspects of other styles, like karate. Bimba also introduced set forms of moves, similar to kata. Prior to this it was banned in Brazil as it was something streetfighters, thugs and bandits endulged in.

Basically, Cap involves a lot of kicks and continuous stand-up movement in a dance style as opposed to the ground based grappling of BJJ. I can't see how they can be confused (or compared). (history taken from The Little Book of Capoerra; by Nestor Capoerra)
Posted by: Fireblaze

Re: Is BJJ anything like this? - 09/13/05 07:17 PM

I think bjj has vale tudo moves in it.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Is BJJ anything like this? - 09/13/05 08:44 PM

Quote:

I don't see how the functional moves in Capoerra came from BJJ. There are two styles of Cap. one (Angloa) deals a lot with low strikes and ground work (not so much as the grappling styles of BJJ)and is performed (in practice) quite slowly (in comparison). 'Regional' was developed by Mestre Bimba from old cap styles and added aspects of other styles, like karate. Bimba also introduced set forms of moves, similar to kata. Prior to this it was banned in Brazil as it was something streetfighters, thugs and bandits endulged in.

Just telling you what I’ve both seen and have been told.

Quote:

Basically, Cap involves a lot of kicks and continuous stand-up movement in a dance style as opposed to the ground based grappling of BJJ. I can't see how they can be confused (or compared). (history taken from The Little Book of Capoerra; by Nestor Capoerra)

I personally wouldn’t compare the two arts. However I DO know that there are some techniques found within capoeira and BJJ. Admittedly I am NOT an expert on capoeira but I know what I’ve seen. Of course, techniques are just techniques and a LOT of arts have common threads.

Its hard to imagine arts in Brazil NOT drawing something from BJJ.

-John
Posted by: trevek

Re: Is BJJ anything like this? - 09/14/05 03:32 AM

I'm no expert myself. I just see them as being two totally different arts. Royce Gracie commented that Capoerra had no real grappling aspect. Thing is that Cap has been round in one form or another for a heck of a lot longer than BJJ and probably didn't look much like what we see now in its earlier forms.

A lot of old Cappoerras used blades. It wasn't uncommon to have a sharpened hook at the end of the berimbau(sp.) musical instrument just in case...
Posted by: IronBones

Re: Is BJJ anything like this? - 09/15/05 12:59 PM

Capoeira is a striking art mostly to do with acrobatics and kicks. Brazilian jiu jitsu is a ground based wrestling art wich utilizes takedowns, submissions and reversals.