Best MMA fighters per weight class?

Posted by: mantis_boxing

Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 07/30/05 04:15 AM

excluding bj penn, for me it has to be genki sudo, carlos newton, vanderlei, cropcop
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 07/30/05 08:29 AM

You also have to include Randy Couture, Chuck Liddel, Matt Hughes, Fedor, and Nogeria (big nog). Some good up and comers are Andrei Arloski, Georges St Pierre, and Karo Paryisan.

I love Carlos Newton, but he hasn't fought in so long he shouldn't be officially ranked in anyone's top ten these days. But a great fighter just the same.
Posted by: Gula

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 07/30/05 08:45 AM

Im a die hard Filipovic fan =P
The finesse of hes strikes is untouchable like when he ko'ed Mark Coleman on pride 29

BTW Has Mirko fought Fedor yet?

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 07/30/05 09:41 AM

chuck lidell is an excellent kickboxer. i like andrei arlovsky pity what pedro rizzo did to him - who is also an amazing kickboxer but just takes a while for him to get rhythm in his fights. crocop is something else, his basic techniques are near perfect, distancing, timing, intelligent. i would really like to see crocop and rizzo go at it, surely a KO unless both become reluctant to close in because of each fighter's KO. unlikely because of contracts
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 07/30/05 02:51 PM

I tend to like the smaller, more technical fighters (though I do like some of the big boys too, ie, Couture, Arlovski). I like St. Pierre, Doerksen and particularly Karo Parisyan! Those guys make for VERY exciting fights to watch.

-John
Posted by: Cord

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 07/30/05 03:05 PM

Matt Hughes, Tank Abbot (I cant help it- he will always rule even though his time is over), St. Pierre, Arlovski, Couture (as fighter and ambassador to the sport), Liddell.
Also Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonner for that fight.

Fighters I dislike the most: Ortiz- poor winner, poor loser and boring as hell IMO. Baroni- exciting to watch but a jerk to listen to. Cabbage- I dont see anything skillfull or impressive in being a resilient punching bag.
Posted by: Crash

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 07/30/05 05:37 PM

Quote:

seconded!

my favorites are:
Chuck Liddel, Randy Couture, Ken Shamrock
Posted by: b_d_41501

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 07/30/05 05:42 PM

If i'm ranking of all time: Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Tank Abbot, Mark Kerr, Mark Coleman, Chuck Liddel, and Randy Couture.

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 07/30/05 11:21 PM

Quote:

Matt Hughes, Tank Abbot (I cant help it- he will always rule even though his time is over), St. Pierre, Arlovski, Couture (as fighter and ambassador to the sport), Liddell.

Fighters I dislike the most: Ortiz- poor winner, poor loser and boring as hell IMO. Baroni- exciting to watch but a jerk to listen to. Cabbage- I dont see anything skillfull or impressive in being a resilient punching bag.

tito ortiz - he deosnt really show much technique at all, surely not a good fighter to watch if looking to pick up useful techniques other than using the fence and being big for his weightclass. i liked the match with lidell after tito always called chuck out and got what came to him
Posted by: dynacker

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 08/01/05 11:20 AM

Rumina Sato, Takanori Gomi and Genki Sudo in the lightweight.
Posted by: dragonfoot

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 08/02/05 11:55 PM

does anyone remember rickson gracie,he says he still wants to fight! what about maurice smith, the way he beat up coleman
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 08/03/05 10:22 AM

I would agree with Randy Couture and Chuck Liddel. Randy is an awsome person to train with.

I also like Bas Rutten as an alltimer..super funny and quite a different style than Randy.

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 08/03/05 11:56 PM

bas rutten is also excellent kickboxer. i look up to him especially because he was one of the first pure strikers to go into MMA competition and be very succesful against grapplers. isnt couture a wrestling coach at a university? lidell is great kickboxer but what about his supposed reputation as a 'dirty' MMA fighter? i personally disagree
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 08/04/05 10:25 AM

Bas was not so successful in MMA until he developed a ground game.

Liddel was a college level wrestler as well.
Posted by: b_d_41501

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 08/04/05 10:29 AM

You've trained with Randy, RangerG????
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 08/04/05 04:15 PM

Quote:

does anyone remember rickson gracie,he says he still wants to fight!

Don't hold your breath waiting for that one. And I bet if he ever does fight, it won't be anyone of merit.

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 08/04/05 09:30 PM

Quote:

You've trained with Randy, RangerG????

I have trained with both Randy and Bas. Now before you get all excited..it was a two day seminar. I did however get to grapple with both of them. Both of them spent time helping me tweak some of my techniques. Randy also spent some time with me working on my overtraining and suggesting diet changes to give me more energy. I have to say it was awsome. Word is that they may come together again for a seminar in PA next year.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 08/04/05 11:54 PM

Two days is two days more than you had before and two days more than just about everyone here. Sounds like a cool experience.

Re: Best MMA fighters per weight class? - 08/05/05 07:16 PM

It was my 50th birthday gift to myself. You can never invest too much into yourself, your body and your mind.