3rd Annual Gracie Open Tournament

Posted by: mma

3rd Annual Gracie Open Tournament - 07/24/05 11:44 PM

Hey, I'm competing in this years IGJJF Open tournament at Lynwood High School on Aug. 13. Here's the website:

igjjf.org

This is my first bjj tournament. I'll be competing in the white belt division against gracie-trained white belts. I've never taken gracie classes, what do the Gracie schools teach their white belts from guard, standing, sidemount etc? What's their game? Just to help with my gameplan. Thanx.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: 3rd Annual Gracie Open Tournament - 07/25/05 12:02 AM

Do you train BJJ?

Realize that in the white belt category, the competition ranges from brand newbies to 2 year students who haven't been blued yet. Expect sandbagging.

The game depends on the student. Many fight hard for top control, some are content to pull guard and sweep/ submit and others are just wrestlers in gis.

Tournament-wise:

1. Have fun.

2. If at all possible, fight for top control.

3. Have fun.
Posted by: mma

Re: 3rd Annual Gracie Open Tournament - 07/25/05 12:14 AM

What's sandbagging? Do they know alot of submissions or are they just all defence? Do they do alot of throws or shots or what do they do standing? Pretty much, what's the main thing I should watch out for?
Posted by: Intrepidinv1

Re: 3rd Annual Gracie Open Tournament - 07/25/05 12:33 AM

I'm not all that great at the bjj stuff yet but I will offer a suggestion. I've always used books as reference and teaching tools. If you are serious about this competition and being up on the Gracies then I highly recommend you go to the nearest big book store in your area and check out some of their stuff. You may want to buy a book or two to see what they're preaching. Just a thought.

Re: 3rd Annual Gracie Open Tournament - 07/25/05 01:31 AM

Sandbagging means that someone should probably have been promoted but was kept at a lower rank to rack up medals for the school. Grappling tournaments are notorious for this.

When you see white belts pulling off flying armlocks in tournaments, it becomes obvious.

My tip. Train with some BJJ guys before hand if you aren't already.

I really don't think any book will make a whole lot of difference if you are not familiar with the strategy.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: 3rd Annual Gracie Open Tournament - 07/26/05 10:23 AM

It could also be talent, or previous experience with other MAs.
I went to a tournament when I was a wing chun white belt, and people accused me of 'sandbagging' because I won. I had done judo and kickboxing and had put maximum effort into my WC. I was not 'sandbagging'.
My point is that you have to be prepared. You cannot think white belt and think pussies! Remember its a white belt on top of whatever experience they have already.

A question: what are the rules like in BJJ tournaments. Are you allowed to strike or only submissions and locks/throws etc? Can anyone enter or do you have to have BJJ as a formal discipline. Can a judo guy enter for example?
Posted by: b_d_41501

Re: 3rd Annual Gracie Open Tournament - 07/26/05 10:46 AM

The Gracies are big on spreading the word of their style. So i'd say they let anyone from any style into the tourney's.
Posted by: BigRod

Re: 3rd Annual Gracie Open Tournament - 07/26/05 11:06 AM

Quote:

A question: what are the rules like in BJJ tournaments.

Submissions only. You'll start from standing, so wrestling style takedowns and throws can be expected. You may also see some guys "jump guard". That means they grab you and immediately jump into the guard position.

Typically white belts are not allowed to do any leg locks, expect perhaps straight leg locks - basically an achilles lock will be about it, if you can do that. Find the website for the tourney, they'll have the rules posted.

And like Fletch said, expect sandbagging. Also expect weight-cutting. He is is also correct with the 2 year and under as a white belt. Grappling tourneys are nothing like Karate tourneys - the difference in skill levels even at the same rank can be huge.

The Gracie Open is a high profile, big time tourney. The best of the best will be out there. If you're a casual grappler, be forewarned the competition will be tough. I'm not trying to discourage you, just letting you know. And if you haven't formally trained, expect to get tooled, badly.

Don't be confused or intimidated by the name Gracie BJJ. It's just that, a name. The BJJ is the same as anywhere else.

Anyway, have fun, and best of luck to you!

Re: 3rd Annual Gracie Open Tournament - 07/26/05 11:13 AM

Generally speaking, it is for BJJ only. That is, you must have some root with and be completely familiar with BJJ. You win by points or submission. First to 12 points wins.

You earn points by takedowns, pins, taking the back, passing the guard, etc. No strikes. It is a grappling tournament. You must wear an approved gi.