Applying RNC

Posted by: Gula

Applying RNC - 07/19/05 11:54 AM

Hiya.

I have some questions how do you prefer the rear naked choke
Do you think its better to lie on top of the opponent when aplying or do you prever to sit behind him and then apply the choke or let him lie on top of you?

And how do you keep the best balance when your sitting behind the opponent? Do you think its best to keep just one leg in the hook or both? or hold him in a triangle?

Hope this explanation isnt too hard to catch =P
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Applying RNC - 07/19/05 12:06 PM

Gula,

How did you get triangle and RNC together? Granted I am not the most technical guy and my experience is extremely low compared to others here, but RNC would depend upon access to the opponent's back.....and yes, if you can get all your hooks in...do it! You don't want him to have a pivot point or access to use a limb to move his position.

A triangle choke depends on the leverage of your opppnent's arm cutting off the blood supply to one side of his neck, while the other side of his neck is contained by your bent leg...your other leg is wrapped around the top of the ankle of the choking, triangle leg, to provide support and another area of leverage to push the choke in.

-B
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Applying RNC - 07/19/05 12:26 PM

Hey butterfly...

This move is known as the " figure four body lock " or "Triangle Body Lock".

Instead of using the traditional "hooks" when you take your opponents back, you can "triangle" his body instead. Your legs are positioned exactly as they are in a triangle (e.g. the figure 4), but instead around your opponents waist. This hold is very secure, nearly impossible to escape, and can act as a choke of sorts, making it very difficult for your opponent to breathe. I'm searching for a pic right now, and if I find one I'll post it.

I actually prefer the body triangle as a holding mechanism over hooks.

And I'll take an RNC anyway I can get it.
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Applying RNC - 07/19/05 12:42 PM

HAH! I knew I'd find a pic somewhere...

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=109
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Applying RNC - 07/19/05 12:48 PM

Gula, OK, I apologize for the misunderstanding and take back my criticism on account of my ignornace.

Thanks BR for the info. A photo would be nice, except I already know tha I would have a tough time... short arms and short legs.

Though the only saving grace is good flexibility....umplatas don't hurt....just can't move.

-B
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Applying RNC - 07/19/05 01:04 PM

Wow. Loving this forum, as I learn new stuff all the time.

Never seen the triangle body lock, but that is pretty cool. I have always been a fan of using hooks when using a seated RNC.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Applying RNC - 07/19/05 04:07 PM

Good question.

I have asked my Brazilian Instructor this before as well. The answer is....it depends.

Generally, if the scenario allows striking, you can take better advantage of being in the top position with your opponent face down. It is easier for him to defend the choke, but he has no effective defense to strikes. Overcoming a choke defense from this position can be as simple as forearm across the nose/ cross face or just digging with the knuckles under the chin but it's still harder. You don't see too many MMA wins form this position via choke anymore now that everyone has learned how to hold on to the gloves.

Streetwise, it is obviously easier to disengage from the top as well.

Straight Jits or Submission Grappling, definitely more advantage to playing face up or on the side. More room to work the choke but less effective to strike from your back.

As far as hooks vs figure 4? Individual preference. JJ Machado is famous for his figure 4 backmount. Marcelo Garcia seems to prefer hooks.

I prefer hooks because my feet can help adjust and "center me up" if my opponent starts trying to get turned around. I will do the figure 4 as well, but it generally only holds them in place from friction.

Since I have been working with the Harness, I don't think about it much anymore.