Stopping Triangle/Arm Bar Attempts B4 They Start

Posted by: BigRod

Stopping Triangle/Arm Bar Attempts B4 They Start - 07/16/05 01:46 PM

You'll want to write this one down.

OK, you're in your opponents guard, and he starts popping off triangle/arm bars left and right. Eventually you get caught and tap out.

Well, let's think about what the first thing that has to happen for your opponent to attempt his triangle or armbar.

Give up?

The hips have to move.

Yeah, it's that simple. Stop his hip motion, and there's no triangle or arm bar coming.

How do you do that?

You''re in his gaurd. Stay close to him, with your elbows/forearms on the mat, knees touching and extending past his buttocks, and make sure your elbows are touching your knees, effectievely trapping his hips.

Keep your knees and elbows touching, or he'll be able to shrimp his hips out. He's going to scoot and try like crazy to free his hips and create space, but you need to stick to him like stink on sh@t.

Try it out, it works.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Stopping Triangle/Arm Bar Attempts B4 They Start - 07/16/05 10:32 PM

Great strategy defense-wise. I have beeen totally shut down from my Guard before by someone doing just as you said. My Armlock/Triangle game was gone.

The Counter to that Counter is simple. While stuffing their head to the mat, jump back out of the Guard and stand up/ disengage or go to knees and try to reverse them. If they are used to a one dimensional Guard Player, they can be quickly surprised by someone not content to stay on their back.

Our Guard game follows Matt Thornton's suggestion of always threaten the person with Submissions, Sweeps or Jumping Out of Guard and disengaging or driving in an attacking.