MMA Strategy

Posted by: butterfly

MMA Strategy - 07/15/05 10:05 PM

What Fletch posted and what Matt posted brought up a problem that I do have. This is in regards to MMA strategy for any particular confrontation. I am looking for generalities here because I know that this is too broad a question to answer specifically.

When I grapple, I generally only practice in this venue. Similarly, when I do standup it is usually only standup (mostly karate with a mix of boxing), however my experience in using techniques when entering ranges has been, to my own educational detriment, limited. I have at times practiced from standup to ground submission...but this is without express ideas on how to accomplish this more strategically. I go with the flow, but know I should be looking for entrances into attacks instead of just plain reacting i.e. thinking.

So in essence, I am not generally practicing MMA, but am trying to integrate new knowledge with my previous background. This, in my opinion, is harder than looking at the range and strategic mindset that MMA offers and was hoping for your advice.

In other words, I am trying to ask for hints on what you guys look for in a confrontation with regards to the opponent's attacks to suggest when to go to the ground (my prefrence is to standup, but recognize that this is not always an option). I also don't want to to a disservice to myself by not looking at going to the ground if this benefits me.

Regards,
-B
Posted by: MattJ

Re: MMA Strategy - 07/16/05 09:08 AM

I have pretty much the same situation.

Now, I am guessing there is a subtle difference in strategy as far as MMA and MMA/SD.

MMA as competition, going to the ground would be an acceptable primary strategy (unless you are totally dominating in stand up, where you would not even need to hit the mat).

MMA/SD strategy would seem to be one of primarily putting the opponent on the ground whilst remaining upright yourself as much as possible.

The problem becomes, in the dynamic of the resisting opponent, when do you decide "Put him down" vs "Take him down"? My limited skill level at this point makes it a little easier for me (translation: I get taken down whether I want to or not ).

Sometimes you have the choice, and sometimes not. I would also appreciate hearing from the more experienced guys for their take on this.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: MMA Strategy - 07/16/05 11:13 AM

Great topic! I'll offer my own opinion when I return from the gym later this afternoon.

However I'd like to note the distinction between the MMA "sport/training" and MMA "self defense" approaches. Obviously there is a distinction. I won't look to go to the ground in a self defense situation. However if the chance exists to drop someone (where I don't necessarily go down WITH them), I'd do it and split! Self defense for ME means, not getting into fights and exiting from them asap. I "Win" when I go home to my lovely girlfriend at night. As my job isn't in law enforcement or any other form of protective service, I don't need to "stay with" a situation. That means good things for me.

In training, that's another story. In the VAST majority of cases, we don't look to "finish" fights from standing. Why might that be?

More later.......

-John
Posted by: FCFS

Re: MMA Strategy - 07/16/05 05:14 PM

well i think it depends on a lot of things, as your sparring or fighting in the ring, when sparring i belive you should try every thing to see if this works or that works try stand up or takedown thats your saftey zone because you know your not gonna get seriosly hurt, once you step in the ring its a diffrent situasion,because its unpredictable. if the stand up game is going good why go to the ground, but if you can grapple and the stand up is not so good maybee take him to the ground, its a tuff one because it depend in the skill level of the other player, and you don't know maybee the other player wants to take you to the ground, i say practice every thing in training, take it from there
Posted by: JKogas

Re: MMA Strategy - 07/16/05 10:33 PM

I want to make my answers here as short as possible. If you have further questions, post them.

Street: I don't get involved. I stay away from places where trouble might brew. I live a pretty clean life, little to NO alcohol, absolutely no drugs, nothing. My lifestyle tends to leave me pretty well taken care of.

Street takedowns: All from the clinch, no shots. In the clinch you move your opponent around to off-balance him. Osoto gari, ouchi gari (inside trip), and snap-downs are my primary drops (where I don't go down WITH my opponent). I look for these immediately upon entering the clinch. If my opponent manages to counter my attempt, I look to throw the knee strike immediately.

In training: I'm always looking for the takedown to work my ground game. Finishing fights from the standing game (in training) isn't what I like to do because it just hurts to do that. As I'm not looking to injure my training partners, we work to "finish" fights on the ground by wrestling to submission.

What that means is, we work our boxing not to get the ko. We work that as a way to train our defense. Once in the clinch, both partners can work to simulate knees and elbows (or go harder depending on what equipment is being worn). Emphasis is on getting the takedown and then wrestling to submission. That's a great way of training all three games.

Post or email me with more specific questions. I don't really feel that I may have answered the question fully.

Thanks

-John