Triangle Set Up

Posted by: BigRod

Triangle Set Up - 07/14/05 08:25 PM

I've never used this one, but it works cuz I've been caught with it numerous times.

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=73
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Triangle Set Up - 07/14/05 09:04 PM

BR,

This is cool. Though I had a question about this that maybe you can answer.

Ok the guy on the bottom is going to put pressure on the top dude and do a double attack (?) go for a sweep and go for the triangle...shoot his butt out a little and make his opponent post up with his right arm.

Now here's the part I am not seeing, and yes, maybe I should have read through the listings below the photos more carefully, but is the guy shrimping out a little using his butt and back to force the top guy's arm around to the inside (photo 4 and 5)?

More succinctly, how is the bottom guy forcing his opponent to move his arm from behind him so that he can use it in the triangle?

-B
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Triangle Set Up - 07/15/05 02:52 PM

I guess you have to lock that triangle on very quick to keep the other guy from simply passing it over his head and taking side control?

Or maybe I am missing something about the guy on top's weight distribution on his arms? Looks like he could shift weight to the other arm (the arm on the guy on the bottom), and pass the leg over.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Triangle Set Up - 07/15/05 03:04 PM

Well, mind you...I can't try this til my knee heals..but I suppose if you are forcing his head down with the other hand and then and forcing the sweep to make more pressure on the posting arm and push back with your butt and back, you can force the guy to roll his arm from the back to the front....

In any case, interesting. I have not seen a triangle done this way...but then again my ground game is limited. Cool!

-B
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Triangle Set Up - 07/19/05 11:45 PM

Quote:

I guess you have to lock that triangle on very quick to keep the other guy from simply passing it over his head and taking side control?

Or maybe I am missing something about the guy on top's weight distribution on his arms? Looks like he could shift weight to the other arm (the arm on the guy on the bottom), and pass the leg over.

Every time you try a triangle there is always a chance to have your guard passed, and every time you pass guard under your opponent's leg there is a chance to get triangled.

Time your move carefully, and then be quick or have your guard passed.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Triangle Set Up - 07/20/05 11:10 AM

The key to setting up the Triangle from the Guard is to recognize when your opponent's neck is paralel to the ground. This creates a "shelf". When the choking leg goes over, you should flex it tight, at least 90 degrees. Your weight will help keep his head down so that you have time to lock the other foot in place.

This is of course, assuming that you aren't stumbling through the move. You already need to understand the concept of pivoting perpendicular, arm control, etc.