Shooting the Double Leg

Posted by: BigRod

Shooting the Double Leg - 07/14/05 08:06 PM

Here's a nice step-by-step illustration...

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=77

Now let me elaborate.

In STEP 2 they talk about changing elevation, or more commonly known as a level change. Very important - Bend at the knees, not your back. And dont lead with your face. His posture is excellent.

However, take a look at his right leg. That forward step should actually as deep between his opponents legs as possible. More on this in step 3.

STEP 3 shows your position as you make contact. Kale has his left hand behind the knee, and the right hand is around his partners waist. This is text book positioning. BUT...

Remember my comment about taking that big step as far as possible between your opponents legs? Here's why...

If you step deeply between the legs when you make contact you will unbalance your opponent, making the takedown easier. The initial "bump" is very important. And when you make contact, you should still be driving forward.

In STEPS 4 and 5 , Kale completes the shoot by continuing to bring the left foot foward and turning the corner (STEP 5). And as you can see, in STEP 6 the takedown is complete.

In STEP 5 Kale could have done a pick up and slam, but that requires more power than turning the corner. I personally prefer turning the corner rather then a pick up.

That's it. Go get em boys!
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Shooting the Double Leg - 07/15/05 01:01 AM

Very nice. My recommendation on the penetration leg as well. If it falls short is when we worry about stepping around with the outside leg for a hook to take him backwards or a base to dump him sideways. A good, deep step initially will make everything a lot easier.