Counter Strategy

Posted by: Fletch1

Counter Strategy - 07/14/05 02:16 AM

Here is a formula that I work with my students as far as dealing with counters.

When you are attacking with a finish, whether it be a choke, arm or leg lock, your opponent will eventually figure out a way to defend and stall. You generally have three options.

1. Try to finish the move you are attempting. This can be difficult as it requires you to either overpower (not the Jits way) or somehow manipulate something to make the target more accessable.

2. Transition to another technique. Flow from one technique to another until your opponent cannot keep up with his counters. This is the most fun but requires a significant amount of experience, skill and imagination.

3. Improve position. From a better position, your options to finish multiply. Plus, you gain the advantages of leverage and top dominance via weight distribution.

To illustrate this, let's look at the kneebar. You have postioned yourself for a knee bar on your opponent who is behind you on the ground. You are both face up. His leg is between yours and you have your arm hooked behind his knee.

He has however, countered your move by figure fouring his leg to prevent you from getting it extended. You options are to:

(#1) keep pulling on his leg, feet, etc. trying to undo the figure four so you can finish the lock.

(#2) move to another lock on his foot or ankle on the target or even the other leg.

(#3) bail on the kneebar altogether and seek a pinning position in a side mount or top of half guard, etc.

Of course this is fluid and dynamic and by no means the final word. It is also hinged upon you having enough game to play.

It just gives you a template to help organize your training to include counters.
Posted by: Ubermint

Re: Counter Strategy - 07/14/05 02:42 AM

RE: That example, I almost always lace a leg through and try to toehold as I sit up like you would for omoplata. I guess that's a bit of approach 2 and 3.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Counter Strategy - 07/14/05 03:14 AM

Probably closer to #2. The positional thing I save for just that, getting to a dominant position as a reference point. I guess you can look at it a couple of ways.

Preaching to the choir, I know.

It's nice to give students a process to figure out their own solutions rather than just keep piling on techniques.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Counter Strategy - 07/14/05 07:56 AM

I have learned to pretty much bail on anything that does not work quickly, and try to get to a better position.

Although I have seen guys work a position to death, and eventually get the sub. I'm just not that patient.
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Counter Strategy - 07/14/05 07:40 PM

Remember the golden rule...

"Position BEFORE submission"
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Counter Strategy - 07/14/05 07:49 PM

Agree with Matt and BR. My sophistication on the ground game is not so high so, I have to use position and hope something obvious comes to mind.

-B
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Counter Strategy - 07/14/05 07:53 PM

Sorry, posted when not logged in. The above anonymous listing is mine.

-B