The Arm Drag

Posted by: BigRod

The Arm Drag - 07/13/05 06:53 PM

This is a great move...

http://bjj.org/techniques/barra/rigan/

There's a few options you have once you get behind your opponent, I'll post one in a bit. It's dinner time.

Re: The Arm Drag - 07/13/05 08:55 PM

Another great move off the arm drag.

http://bjj.org/techniques/intheguard/nhbtakedown1/
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The Arm Drag - 07/13/05 09:18 PM

The second one I have used successfully. The first one looks good, but I wonder about the likelyhood of a guillotine or side-choke by the opponent as you take the back.

I am guessing you have to throw his arm away while you have wrist control before you attempt to take the back? I am really paranoid about protecting my neck.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: The Arm Drag - 07/14/05 01:47 AM

Just like a lot of techniques, a photo sequence cannot adequately communicate the dynamics of an armdrag. The pulling, offsetting, moving, shifting, etc. During this technique, a guillotine or side choke is not likely.
Posted by: Mu Ryuk

Re: The Arm Drag - 07/14/05 02:02 AM

I love the arm drag. If you are powerful and explosive, it's almost unstoppable. I went to a BJJ class a while ago (hopefully I'll be going there twice a week once my ankle heals up), and the Instructor kept getting me with it over and over. He eventually taught me how to counter it (though to be totally honest, I can't remember right now).

Re: The Arm Drag - 07/14/05 04:45 AM

The arm drag can also be done when you start from the knees. Use it the same way and swoop around and take the back.
Posted by: Mu Ryuk

Re: The Arm Drag - 07/14/05 02:01 PM

Quote:

The arm drag can also be done when you start from the knees. Use it the same way and swoop around and take the back.

That's how I "learned" it. And by "learned" it, I mean "had my butt whooped by" it
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: The Arm Drag - 07/14/05 02:35 PM

If you get a chance to watch any of Marcelo Garcia's matches, do so. He is the King of the BJJ/Submission Grappling Arm Drag.

He makes other world class grapplers look like they have never seen it before.
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: The Arm Drag - 07/19/05 11:37 PM

Quote:

It can be done from the bottom of the guard too. Followed with a kick out reversal, it looks oh so good.