Tape Training

Posted by: Fletch1

Tape Training - 07/07/05 12:18 PM

A point brought up on the BJJ vs Kung Fu thread made me think. Since qualified BJJ Black Belt instruction is not widespread in most areas, how much of your training is drawn from instructional videos?

I have always watched videos for ideas. First, when I didn't have an instructor and now when I have two but neither are close enough for regular interaction.

I know that some instructors look down on video lessons, as indicated by a previous thread in one of the main forums here. I think in BJJ it is much more acceptable because it is so much more competitive on a regular basis (sparring every class).
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Tape Training - 07/07/05 12:23 PM

I have used video to help my regular training, but only after I had already rolled a few times, so I could have a model for the type of movement needed on the ground.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Tape Training - 07/07/05 01:03 PM

This is a pretty interesting topic. It has made me really pause and think.

I have always had the ability to find instruction or travel to get it. I'm one of the lucky ones.

As a traditional martial artist I often come out as strongly opposed to learning(especially at the beginner level) on tape.

Having said that, and I can't really rationalize why, I see no problem with learning some BJJ from video/DVD.

It might be the analysis then test procedure. Let me explain:

Student trying to learn kata from video. Watch the video try to duplicate it. Looks right. Feels right. student does it over and over and over... wrong!

Student learning moves for BJJ. Watch video. Find partner, because you have to have one. Try move. doesn't work. Watch video. Try move again. Better, but doesn't feel quite right. Watch video again. Try move again. Much better.

In the final analysis I guess it's what we always come back to. You can train however you want. But regardless of how you train, you have to test.

Page
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Tape Training - 07/07/05 01:21 PM

Page -

You just described a good bit of my groundfighting practice. Before I found a school that taught GF, it was videos and "Hey RazorFoot, lemme try sumpin'....."
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Tape Training - 07/07/05 03:38 PM

Page,

I agree with you on the video instruction stuff....However, this has occured to me more often studying grappling than in any other MAs training, where you often see something that is so apparent that you thought, "I should have thought of this...this makes perfect sense." Generally in a classroom environment with the ability to "test" the technique after being shown, but I was wondering if it is easier to capitalize on some of the inherent educational strenghts (via video) that grappling seems to engender when compared to striking?

This experience of "feeling" grappling and thus expediting its lessons in my education, though, might be just subjective experience. And I don't know if this idea comes about because of the stucture of grappling where you can "feel" the weight distribution of the opponent compared with standup which neccesitates a sort of picking up ques for the intent of certain strikes, and thus may take more explanation and more instruction for striking prior to utility of the technique.

Regards,

-B
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Tape Training - 07/07/05 04:06 PM

I think your exactly correct, Butterfly.

It's the feeling of being in contact/resistance that is so fundamental but necessary to grappling that allows this mode of instruction to work.

Any knucklehead can throw punches and kicks in the air. They may or may not be correct.

Grappling,by definition,requires someone(thing) to grapple with. You get to know immediately if it's working or not, and if not you don't repetitivley build a bad habit.

Your right in saying that it may be subjective. But I think you will find that alot of people have the same subjective experience.

I will continue to use DVD's to reinforce my own training and hopefully learn a trick or two to suprise my classmates.

Also I would encourage other martial artists to view grappling vid's so that they could supplement their striking style.

Page
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Tape Training - 07/07/05 05:53 PM

I see nothing wrong with tape training providing that you DO go out and either attend seminars or receive private/semi-private or group instruction from time to time.

Regarding BJJ, etc (any alive art), you're going to eventually "test" everything in application. You'll know if you're doing it wrong basically.

Checking out tapes or DVDs is a great way to supplement your training, particularly if you've already got some 'game'.

For example (and I'm sure other experienced guys are the same way), I can be watching a FIGHT (not even an instructional video), see a move and immediately understand how to do it and, how to put it into my own game. Considering that most fight moves are "basic" anyway, that isn't incredibly difficult to do.

-John