Private lessons

Posted by: Fletch1

Private lessons - 07/02/05 04:12 PM

Have you taken Private lessons in BJJ? Were they worth it?

How would you teach a private lesson?

I have taken quite a few privates from several instructors over the years. With a few exceptions, I always felt like I got my $$$ worth. The best money spent was with my current coach. He organizes each session around excatly what I want to learn.

I try to emulate my coach when I teach groups or private students. If the student has a particular interest that I think is practical for their skill level, I will work the entire lesson around that interest. I will introduce maybe 3 or 4 skills, isolate them with me giving progressive resistance and finally at the end, if there is any time left, we'll free roll for a few minutes or kick around any additional questions.

An hour private lesson can be a lot of work.
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Private lessons - 07/03/05 03:15 PM

I've taken semi-private lessons (3-4 students) before, and it was well worth the $$$. It helped my game a lot.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Private lessons - 07/03/05 04:08 PM

What did you guys focus on?
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Private lessons - 07/04/05 11:08 AM

We drilled passing the gaurd repeatedly, as well as basic positioning and submissions. Nothing fancy, just the basics.

I saw sooo much improvement in my grappling it wasnt even funny. I had I been able to continue with privates (and BJJ), I would have cut my advancement time in half.

The real benefit was the instructor catered to our needs, not the collective needs of a class with 15+ people.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Private lessons - 07/05/05 07:36 AM

I have 1-2 private lessons per week, in addition to 2-3 regular lessons.

I get a 1.5 hour private lesson, and it is at my conveniance(within reason).

By far, the best money I ever spent!

Page