MD and Chinese martial arts

Posted by: venzenait

MD and Chinese martial arts - 08/31/10 01:13 PM

I have something called Becker's muscular dystrophy. This basically means that I have very weak legs... or more precisely weak knees. It is pretty hard for me to walk upstairs, I can't really run and on a "bad knee day" my knees start to buckle. Before, when the sickness was in its early stages, it did not affect me as much, and so I used to study wushu. After my MD got worse, I stopped attending lessons. However, recently my interest in Chinese martial arts was renewed. Basically I wanted to find out your opinion on which Chinese martial art would be best suited for a person with such a condition. I personally was thinking of wing chun but maybe it isn't the best option for me.

Thanks.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: MD and Chinese martial arts - 08/31/10 05:13 PM

Hello

To be honest I can't think of any Chinese Martial art that doesn't work your legs in some way. Some of them work them in a serious way. Taijiquan (aka Tai Chi) may be a good option, but even a seemingly "gentle" art like Taijiquan can be very taxing when it's done properly.

I would recommend consulting your doctor before undertaking any sort of martial arts class.

Bear in mind too that Wing Chun does have some kicking techniques as well as some stances that really work the legs.

Check with your doctor first and foremost. Although they may not be a martial arts expert (neither am I BTW!) they should be an expert on your health and what you can/cannot do.
Posted by: venzenait

Re: MD and Chinese martial arts - 08/31/10 05:31 PM

Well, doctors recommend swimming and stuff, because I do need to excercise my legs. Swimming is recommended, because while making your legs work, it does not put them under too much excessive pressure that makes the condition progress faster. In short, I actually need to work my legs... but in a moderate way.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: MD and Chinese martial arts - 09/01/10 01:21 PM

Well, as a swimmer for many years due to back issues, I cannot recommend it highly enough. You can even do martial arts in the water if you choose. Benefits of one, with the safety of the other.

It sucks to have the will to do something only to have your body unable to to allow you to chance. Especially when otherwise healthy people waste their days sitting on their butts. But, we cannot choose the hands we are dealt, we can only do our best with what we have to work with.