"Xing Yi Quan the easiest to learn"??

Posted by: Prizewriter

"Xing Yi Quan the easiest to learn"?? - 08/13/10 09:03 AM

Hello

Recently had a conversation with a chap who studies Taijiquan and Xingyiquan. He said that for most people Xingyiquan was by far the easiest of the internal arts to learn, as it had shorter forms, simpler appilcations and generally the learning curve was less steep compared to Taijiquan or Baguazhang.

I also watched a BBC documentary about Internal Martial arts. It indicated that Xingyiquan was the first IMA that was taught as it was the easiest for a student coming from an "external" system to understand.

I know a lot depends on the student learning the art, but anyone any thoughts on this?
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: "Xing Yi Quan the easiest to learn"?? - 08/13/10 03:21 PM

I think that they say that Xingyi is easiest to learn because the method of body usage is the easiest to transmit.
The five element fists are a great training tool for learning how to use the full power of the body in 5 different ways. Those five ways can then be expanded upon.
I have done mostly Bagua and Xinyi and have only in the past 3 or so years began tinkering with Taiji. To me, Xingyi is really good for teaching key simple concepts of body usage that can later be imparted in different ways into Bagua or Taiji.
Posted by: Mark Jordan

Re: "Xing Yi Quan the easiest to learn"?? - 08/16/10 03:19 AM

Xing yi quan uses the power of chi or qi. It is an internal art that requires a mastery of the cognitive part as well as the conditioning of the mind and body. A dedicated student can learn the basic forms and movement for a year or even less. But for the unique way this martial arts draws the chi I doubt if anyone can learn that in a year. As any form of martial arts, it takes practice, dedication and a good instructor.

Re: "Xing Yi Quan the easiest to learn"?? - 08/16/10 04:52 PM

If you learn and train the methods properly then you should not have to put any focus or worries towards qi. Qi is going to be the natural byproduct of proper will power, intention and movement.

Re: "Xing Yi Quan the easiest to learn"?? - 08/17/10 12:34 PM

Just to follow up...
I personally do feel that Xinyi is the easiest of the three (Bagua, Taiji and Xingyi) to learn. The circles in Xingyi are not nearly as complicated as those employed in Bagua and Taiji.
It has been my experience that Xingyi is a good place to start learning the principles of whole body power usage.
Posted by: ilhe4e12345

Re: "Xing Yi Quan the easiest to learn"?? - 12/09/10 08:21 PM

For Xingyiquan, i recently jsut started taking this as a way to improve my foot work and punching strength. I began studying under my steacher in order to learn 7 Star praying mantis, but with the winter months being tuff to train out doors we are training 1 on 1 lessons in his setup at his home, which i must say is more impressive then alot of kung fu places i have seen. Anyways, i was interested in Xingyiquan because of the movie The One....it looked so brutal and simple...yes i know its a movie but i asked and my teacher did study Xingyiquan for awhile and offered to teach me as a way to imrpove my footwork. Anyways I have only jsut started, and learned 2 elements out of the 5 those being Pi and Zuan or metal and water if you want the element names. It is very simple to learn, and alot of fun. plus it teaches you to really center your power. i can hit twice as hard just learning those two elements!

It is very simple to learn and i would def recommend it if your interested in it or anyone who wants an internal martial art. I love it so far, and cant wait to finish the elements and move onto the animals smile
Posted by: Th3_Pun1sH3R

Re: "Xing Yi Quan the easiest to learn"?? - 12/10/10 08:31 PM

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but I think people should be aware, that just because they are learning an internal martial art, that it does not necessarily equate to doing an internal martial art.

Put another way, if you perform the external "forms", in an "external" manner, how can you claim to be doing an "internal" martial art?

IOW, does performing the "shape" - without cognizance of the internal requirements - magically develop "internal strength"?

Just something to be aware of...
Posted by: sandy2018

Re: "Xing Yi Quan the easiest to learn"?? - 02/01/11 09:51 AM

There is a saying : "learn xingyiquan for one year you can defend yourself, learn taijiquan for 10 years you are not ready for the street"

Xingyiquan is easier to learn, but as hard as taijiquan to master. It is easier to understand the applications of the 5 elements than applications from a taiji form.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: "Xing Yi Quan the easiest to learn"?? - 03/12/11 04:51 PM

funny I've heard a Taiji guy say that you don't need to learn taiji for a long long time to become good at it. Instead he said 1 year is pretty good already

which all boils down to having a good teacher. teacher just cant be teaching you forms but also the proper breathing methods. And obviously they have to show you how to apply your strength and energy. Tons of martial arts teachers are guilty of misguiding (or not guiding them at all) their students.
Posted by: Owen_Schilling

Re: "Xing Yi Quan the easiest to learn"?? - 05/08/11 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By: IExcalibui2
which all boils down to having a good teacher.

My experience is that this only 1/2 right. You have to have an open, intelligent teacher AND a willing, diligent student.

Owen

http://boulderinternalmartialarts.blogspot.com/