White crane kick

Posted by: ninpopo

White crane kick - 07/02/10 03:44 AM

I watched a documentry on Discovery Channel the other day, it was called Fight Science, where they took the aspects of the different animal styles of kung fu and analyzed it scientifically. The one style that did facinate me was the Crane.
The sifu dodged shurikan attacks with ease while standing on very small platforms a few meters in the air.

But what really got my interest was that he gave a quick demostration of white crane kung fu, and there was this one kick, which he added into his combo, where he jumps into the air, and does a 360 degree turn and kicks a roundhouse kick (while still in the air)

Those of you who knows what this move is called (if you do this move outside of kung fu, ill appreciate your help too), and a tutorial on how to do this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Posted by: Taison

Re: White crane kick - 07/02/10 06:19 AM

The spinning jump kick?

Ask the TKD peeps, if it's a kick they probably got it.

-Donnie out
Posted by: sstefan

Re: White crane kick - 07/02/10 07:13 AM

In my opinion this kind of flying kicks are not very effective, because a good block and you are down. This kicks are good only for movie stunts, in a real fight you would probably fall down and crack your head when your kicking leg is grabbed or blocked.

Re: White crane kick - 07/02/10 07:16 AM

PS: Looks like a flying tornado kick to me

Re: White crane kick - 07/02/10 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By: sstefan
In my opinion this kind of flying kicks are not very effective, because a good block and you are down. This kicks are good only for movie stunts, in a real fight you would probably fall down and crack your head when your kicking leg is grabbed or blocked.

I was thinking that too in the beggining, but I was thinking with the speed and velocity the impact will be quite severe, so if this kick is aimed at your head, you will be able to kick easilly through a Jodan Uke, its gonna be quite confusing for teh opponent as well, the aim is to get the guy on the temple, knocking him down instantly.

Spinning tornado kick you say? Ill youtube it, the problem is not spinng 360 degree, the problem is aiming and of course getting the height to do these attacks. Where i live you dont get many types of fighting styles (karate, wrestling and boxing), hence is why I was asking initially.

Re: White crane kick - 07/02/10 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: ninpopo
I was thinking that too in the beggining, but I was thinking with the speed and velocity the impact will be quite severe, so if this kick is aimed at your head, you will be able to kick easilly through a Jodan Uke, its gonna be quite confusing for teh opponent as well, the aim is to get the guy on the temple, knocking him down instantly.

A spinning flying kick is not a very precise strike, and you need momentum to launch that kind of strike, so its easy to counter with a kick while he gets up in the air.
I saw once a TKD - kickboxing fight, the TKD fighter tried a flying spinning hook kick and he got a strong front kick from the kickboxer, he hit the ground like a sand bag.

Re: White crane kick - 07/02/10 11:00 AM

lol cool, wish you got that on camera though smile
Btw found a video though laugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkdzGLWIdOA
Posted by: Taison

Re: White crane kick - 07/02/10 10:11 PM

The problem with any jumpkick is just that, you're jumping.

You don't have a solid base, your centre of gravity is way off.
There's a reason why they call it a sacrifice kick (Sutemi Waza?) in Karate terms.

In Judo terms, you just helped your opponent do perform 1/2 of a throw. He doesn't need to think how to elevate you anymore he just got to figure out how to slam you as hard as possible to the ground.

For your info, I think it would be easier for you to find the kick if you googled 'butterfly kick'. Collin Chou uses it a lot in his movies.

-Donnie out

Re: White crane kick - 07/05/10 05:10 AM

Yeah i tried it this weekend, I found a good tutorial on youtube, but i dont feel comfortable doing funky kicks like that (thats a nice way of saying i semi broke my back when doing it wink ).
Gonna rather stick with what i feel comfortable with, its been working thus far :D, thanks on the butterfly thing though, but theres no way i can do that XD
Posted by: MattJ

Re: White crane kick - 07/05/10 09:20 AM

Ah, I wasn't sure what a tornado kick was, but yes, I have seen them. RazorFoot used to do them fairly often.

http://www.youtube.com/user/skeen267#p/u/31/g-Ecnv6Uz0M

Taison is right that aerial kicks are a crap-shoot, though. You give up your balance, but you can get big power if you land one:

http://www.youtube.com/user/skeen267#p/u/6/eJ2QEIJT5ko
Posted by: VDJ

Re: White crane kick - 07/09/10 10:23 PM

"A spinning flying kick is not a very precise strike, and you need momentum to launch that kind of strike, so its easy to counter with a kick while he gets up in the air.
I saw once a TKD - kickboxing fight, the TKD fighter tried a flying spinning hook kick and he got a strong front kick from the kickboxer, he hit the ground like a sand bag."

Means nothing.I have seen the other result where the jump spin hook kick connected and shattered the guys cheek bone, very nasty. It all depends upon the fighter. Lets not confuse fighting and self defense, NOT the same thing! Self defense you want it short sweet and effective. You can get a little flashy in an organized match, not reccomended of course, but it can be done! The actual name for the Tornado kick in TKD (kukki style) is "Narabum". When said fast (and usally is then people say it wrong) it sounds like "audobon".

VDJ

Re: White crane kick - 07/09/10 10:37 PM

Here's a nice one (at about 58 seconds into the vid). This is an ITF match (Chang Hon style TKD). I believe they call it a 560 jump turning kick. I'm sure that ITFunity will confirm or correct the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eir4XGg4w5A

VDJ
Posted by: MattJ

Re: White crane kick - 07/10/10 11:02 AM

Impressive!

Re: White crane kick - 07/10/10 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: MattJ
Impressive!

So is this. This is kind of old. Its mostly the NK Demo team doing a demo in SK I think about 10 years ago or so. Watch the very first kick(s). So much for jumping kicks not being precise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUrVYeqQlSs&feature=related
Posted by: BigWiggly

Re: White crane kick - 07/23/10 07:01 PM

Well in our studio we just refer to it as a 360 flying crescent kick. we arent a creative bunch i guess, but the message is easily conveyed. when i was taught a staff form in the beginner class we used a 180 version. we usually dont do those sort of moves until you get into our White Crance of Wu Mei forms which are incredibly beautiful, and difficult. i did some research and found this from my studio about the particular form i am thinking of. "set from White Crane of S. Shaolin Li Hua Ch'uan of Wu Mei origin"

watching it performed is fascinating with traditional crane hands and an explosive ending where the last 25 moves of the form are some kind of jumping/kicking. they always put the hardest stuff at the end....

unfortunately for you i cant really help you learn them, they are really hard, but once you get the hang of it, like everything else, seems to come with time and practice. best advice is to use your core and whip your head around to look at the opponent, the body will follow the head.

Re: White crane kick - 07/26/10 06:09 AM

Thanks Bigwiggly, I did practice it a few times, and luckilly for me, my one friend from spain has his black belts in 2 organizations of Taekwon do. he showed me how to do it, so ill practice this with him a bit more smile