Wing Tsun

Posted by: Daiymo

Wing Tsun - 02/10/10 10:17 AM

new to this forum so go easy, was just looking for some information on wing tsun. I've been injured for a while and am just returning to training tomorro night to a wing tsun class. I have never tried any form of kung fu before but have experience in other martial arts( western ju-jitsu, kickboxing).
I was just wondering how long it takes an average student to reach a decent level with wing chun, cheers
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Wing Tsun - 02/10/10 02:03 PM

it might take you a little time to get used to centerline fighting, but honestly I dont think it takes people that long to understand WC. Its a martial art that does not have thousands of techniques, so you'd probably learn a good amount of things in a relatively short amount of time, allowing you to spend most of the time doing drills and such to develop your skill
Posted by: ShanLongQuan

Re: Wing Tsun - 03/28/10 08:09 AM

I agree that it is an art that is relatively easy to pick up. However, if that injury you are talking about is a knee injury you have to be careful. Some of the forms (Siu Nim Tau, Chum Kiu) put quite some stress on the knees and legs. (This is only a problem at the beginning, after a while you get used to it)
Posted by: sphs8160634

Re: Wing Tsun - 07/13/10 11:08 PM

All wing chun (ving tsun, wing tsun, yong chun) systems work on the same principles. Some systems have variant versions of the three main forms, while other variations add forms.
But the keys are: efficiency, economy, elbow position, the centerline, the 4 gates, simultaneous block and attack, going for the vital points, etc. Commit to a solid year to get the basics down as well as you can, then see you well you like the art. The art of
wing chun is a facinating journey.