Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts

Posted by: Chin_Da01

Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 05/30/09 09:44 AM

There is a great article on the front page about Toe kicks.

The style I practice uses a Tan Tui form (spring leg) as its foundation. Tan Tui or "Spring leg" is a kick designed to not be chambered but come straight from the floor using the toe as a striking surface.

Does any other person practicing a CMA have such kicks?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 05/30/09 10:22 AM

The article in question:

http://fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=407

I haven't seen them much, except for some karate styles, and in savate (but they wear shoes).
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 05/31/09 12:20 AM

I can't say I've seen them much either
I mainly practice Southern Praying Mantis and, at least so far, I haven't come across any information about kicking with the tip of the toes. Most of the kicks I hear and learn about range from the top part of the foot, to the instep, and up into the shin.

but it looks pretty cool if u can pull it off

Re: Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 05/31/09 08:32 AM

Much of Northern Quan fa has Toe Kicking. I think its because of the "wearing shoes factor" It becomes very practical to target under the chin, soft ribs, groin area to include inside the thighs and the armpits etc etc... "basically soft areas." Pretty practical in self defense but not to sporting. Also I've seen a lot of Hapkido that has drawn a lot of its influences from China and indigenous Korean roots having the same types of toe kicks.
Posted by: SifuHax

Re: Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 06/16/09 01:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeuKiui5uVk&NR=1

This is a clip of a S. Praying Mantis chi saoing and getting disqualified for using a toe kick.

Re: Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 07/07/09 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: SifuHax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeuKiui5uVk&NR=1

This is a clip of a S. Praying Mantis chi saoing and getting disqualified for using a toe kick.

Nice example! Yep that is one of the main applications for our toe kicks. Tui fa ( leg methods) Interesting of note: I've seen some Hapkido styles that claimed they drew heavily from indigenous Korean kicking arts use toe kicks in a simular fashion. It appears much of Northern China and Korea have simular kicking strategies.

I don't see toe kicks stressed that much in southern arts only in very traditional karate lineages do I see that
Posted by: SifuHax

Re: Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 07/08/09 01:41 PM

Toe kicks and finger thrusts are used in Buddha Hand Wing Chun and that's a southern art. lol Apparently in Southern Praying Mantis too.

That was a nice kick to the throat.
Posted by: karl314285

Re: Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 07/20/09 10:06 AM

Hi,
While Cuong-Nhu is primarily a Shotokan based MA the advanced forms involve some Vovinam...in the curriculum "serpent kick" is taught near black belt and shows up in the 3 "serpent" forms. 'Tis a thrust kick but with the toes leading and "gathered" as best one can (similar to the finger tips in single whip).
\
Targets are soft, throat, inguinal etc, one of the forms has this kick executed while on the ground.
a decent serpent kick as we do it to the throat is challenging as it entails all the necessities of a good thrust kick, straight-in-rechamber all on same line.
/
so not just in Chinese MA is such....guess it shows in many MA, difference may be in execution??

Peac. Karl.
Posted by: BigWiggly

Re: Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 10/02/09 04:12 PM

The studio I train with teaches toe kicks as a basic kick, (we call them snap kicks). I love to use toe kicks because in some stances you have a perfect open shot to the chin, groin, legs, arms, or whatever. In the forms we learn, which are chinese, we have a few, but we also jump and spin with those kicks. I find them pretty versitile and fast, maybe not the strongest kick, but a fast one can sometimes shock people for a few seconds. I would say if you train with toe kicks you will like them. use what works!

Re: Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 10/04/09 04:29 AM

toes are too sensitive for my comfort...though if I had boots on I wouldnt mind using them

toe kick to the groin always a win
Posted by: BigWiggly

Re: Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 10/04/09 07:01 PM

At our studio we're encouraged to wear shoes, essentially, in a self defense situation, you're probably going to be wearing shoes, and not going to ask the other person to stop and wait for you to take your shoes off and bow or something... I know a few of the women have even performed certain styles in short high heals, interesting to watch but still impressive.

Re: Toe Kicks in Chinese Martial arts - 10/04/09 07:23 PM

well yea its pretty obvious that you'll have shoes on in many self defense situations. Regardless, the foot is sensitive so I prefer to kick with the instep & shin.