What if combat were taken out of the equation?

Posted by: ShikataGaNai

What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 03/19/09 12:25 AM

I've often wondered if anyone would still train martial arts if, in the future, combat had no place in human society. I'd say it's an unlikely situation, but an interesting hypotheses to ponder on.
This recent interview with Ip Chun covered the same idea a bit -
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid16628847001/bctid16624388001

If fighting were taken out of the equation, would you still train? Would there be a greater abundance of IMA's or Aikido-type arts, or would MMA, boxing, MT etc still exist as a form of 'personal development' arts?

Again, I realize that fighting will most likely never be evolved beyond by humans, but if it WERE, where would that take MA's?
Posted by: SifuHax

Re: What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 03/19/09 01:08 AM

That was a monster good vid. Thanks for posting.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 03/19/09 07:30 AM

I think they would still be around. Combat sports now are pretty much academic, considering that actual war, and most street-crime (at least here in the USA) involves weapons - often from great distances.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 03/19/09 08:57 PM

Well said Matt, that's the absolute truth. People don't seem to "fist fight" on the street here anymore. These days the majority of exchanges involve gunfire, or so it seems.

Re: What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 03/19/09 11:34 PM

Seriously? That's not what I experienced in the big city - people were pretty quick to start throwing swings or crappling. Guns were generally used in premeditated assaults. But that's not really the point....
Posted by: SifuHax

Re: What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 03/20/09 02:34 AM

I think the betterment of one's body mind and soul through martial arts will always be evident. We just won't use it on each other. We'd be like Buddhists.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 03/20/09 07:13 AM

Quote:

Seriously? That's not what I experienced in the big city - people were pretty quick to start throwing swings or crappling.

Yes, seriously. And you'll definitely be "crappling" when someone draws a gun on your ass (kidding).

I'm just telling you what happens here. I'm not saying that fist fights don't occur. I mean you could be at a frat party where alcohol is present, along with women and men eager to find their place in the pecking order. But I'm not just talking about frat parties or the "bar scene".

People are shooting out of their cars here while driving down the street. People pull guns when they are threatened with anything. Sure, things will change depending on the locale. But isn't it better to assume the worst, regardless of where you're located?

Quote:

Guns were generally used in premeditated assaults. But that's not really the point....

That isn't what I'm seeing though. People are walking around carrying guns anymore. The stats of people who are applying for concealed carry permits are climbing each year. Well, that's just the folks going through the LEGAL channels and says nothing about the people illegally carrying.

Re: What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 03/20/09 01:10 PM

I wonder if people would still go plinking if fighting were taken out of the equation?
Posted by: BigWiggly

Re: What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 07/22/10 04:26 PM

That would be absolutly tragic. yet, I believe that it is already happening. Fortunately, for those hypothetical pacifists of the future, there is so much more than combat to be experienced by the arts. Philosophy, exercise, history, being "that wierd guy who does kung fu"...ect. It's more and more about the acrobatics than the practical now, but I would prefer practical anyday.

I <3 traditional kung fu.
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 07/23/10 05:16 PM

On the original question, yes, I think more than 90% of fight fans and martial artists would continue training. I dont box for self defence, so much as the fact that I enjoy doing it and it keeps me fit. which im sure the vast majority of people out there are doing it for. of course you would lose a lot of the people that start training because they got beaten up or something, but the existing population wouldnt change too much
Posted by: tiger of persia

Re: What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 09/05/10 02:21 PM

martial arts ,specially chinese and japanees styles are not only a fighting training its also a way of life. a way that shows you you should keep both ready to life well : the strong soul and strong body, every kung fu fighter almost know this .so i think most of ppl who train martial arts (every one who understands what really martial arts means) will choose to keep training anyway .
some people said that street fights are usually by gun fires or like this; if it be hard to defend your self in a situation does it means you should not defend yourself then? its up to u guys to answer .

which is translated to English here:
they say its never gonna get found we looked for it already
\\i answered what is never found is what i wished to find
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: What if combat were taken out of the equation? - 09/06/10 12:23 PM

One good example of this might be the worldwide popularity of Tai Chi. It's straight up traditional kung fu, but people of all ages train in it for a wide range of reasons that have nothing to do with fighting. Still, speed it up and you could repel an attacker. Maybe even not speeding it up if you were proficient enough.

Kathryn