Confidence In Your Martial Arts..

Posted by: bighitter

Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/09/08 06:45 PM

i'm sure this has been discussed but i'm talking about right now. this minute, this second.

how confident are you in your martial arts?

If you got into a street fight tomorrow, can you see yourself fighting like you do in your training kwoon, or do you see yourself losing it and fighting like your normal street fighter?

I do have doubts in my mind about what i learn and how it would be applied in the real world.

I'm looking forward to hearing your replies
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/10/08 12:56 AM

Quote:

i'm sure this has been discussed but i'm talking about right now. this minute, this second.

how confident are you in your martial arts?

If you got into a street fight tomorrow, can you see yourself fighting like you do in your training kwoon, or do you see yourself losing it and fighting like your normal street fighter?

I do have doubts in my mind about what i learn and how it would be applied in the real world.

I'm looking forward to hearing your replies

When in action most martial arts skills won't look all cool and crisp like they do in the dojo against compliance

So yeah you'd be fighting just like 'some streetfighter'. The difference is that after a few years of decent training you should have enough tools and skills under your belt to stack the deck in favor of you not losing.

Your training should actually work with your natural inclinations and responses to some degree, a big part of MA training is reprogramming those I think, so the split between "streetfighting" and what you do in the dojo is unnecessary imo.

Still, there's really no gaurantees when someone really wants to hurt you.

If you train with some kind of resistance it can give you a ballpark idea of where you'd stand...but you are of course normally fighting people doing the same thing as you, so again no gaurantees.

Just have fun training......
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/10/08 12:39 PM

Really confidence is something that builds as you experince success there are certain techniques that I know are my bread and butter and others that can set them up or end the affair if he makes a mistake.

I am confident in my overall ability to ***Notice*** when things are going bad and get out of harms way. I am confident that if I **Notice** that things look or feel bad to retreat to safer grounds.

I am confident that if taken by surprises and not taken out that I have and will survive.

I am confident that if a someone broke into my house while I'm there asleep that they will get bite before I shoot them.

Confidence is good, but over confidence can be our down fall.
I am considered by some a high ranking MAtist, people that know or know me aren't shocked but people that don't know are shocked when I tell them that I'm always prepared to RUN in order to survive. I'm confident that I can make it to my car or safe room and if someone tries to stop me I can hurt them bad before I run again.

Against multiple attack I always practiced gurrilla warfare, catch me and I'll destroy him. If caught they slow down after seeing that. I'm confident of that. Never stay there and fight until the last man, out numbered it won't be You 9 times out 10. I'm confident that the stripes on my belt won't help me in such a ordeal. I'd bet on that.

Question is confidence being quick?
Or experinced?
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/10/08 02:56 PM

I find myself decently confident in my MA. I don't like to box with people so I always try to close the distance and make a bridge. Would I end up looking like a streetfighter? probably, though there'd probably be a slight difference in the way I'd handle things too. However, I'm constantly aware that I could get my @$$ handed to me if I mess with the wrong guy.
Posted by: Tikirocker

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/10/08 05:58 PM

I agree with comments made by both Zach and Neko ... with Zach I agree that when things get messy don't expect to see anybody rolling out their clean form work and applications - this is sadly perpetuated by martial arts on film for the last 100 years.

To be perfectly honest, what I know is that when the brown stuff hits the blades my Yang Taiji is likely to look more like Jason Bourne than Crouching Tiger but in all honesty I strongly believe that this is precisely what Yangs Taiji is meant to be in reality; it ain't pretty but it gets the job done.

With Neko I am simpatico regarding avoiding all conflict and detecting when trouble is likely to erupt and making sure you listen to instinct - I've done that all my life and managed to avoid trouble. My trouble detector is so good the likelyhood of my ever needing to actually use my Martial Art is slim and that's the way I plan to keep it.

I have complete confidence that I can employ very effective methods of response if backed into a corner but I would not wish that scenario on myself or the other guy. I don't know about anybody else but the type of things I have trained to do would not bring me any pleasure to perform at velocity on another human being even if they have it coming. There's always somebody bigger and badder though.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/10/08 06:08 PM

Excellent post, Tiki.

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/10/08 07:32 PM

good post!

yea people have to realize how to translate the forms and flowery movements into applicable techniques.
Posted by: BillowingReeds

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/17/08 10:27 PM

“To fight is a radical instinct; if men have nothing else to fight over they will fight over words, fancies, or women, or they will fight because they dislike each other's looks, or because they have met walking in opposite directions” - George Santayana

In my opinion the best martial weapon is indeed not the strong appendages that your ego forces you to pump iron with, but instead, it is your mind. Men will always want to fight. It is the ability to walk away from these fights and keep all conflict on a seperate plain that preserves yourself everytime.

Should however the fancy stole away in your mind that there is no other option, that the fight is indeed honorable and an in-explicably avoidable, then I would say that I do not rely solely on my martial art. Once again, it all comes back to mind. I rely more on my mind then I do anything else. A practiced and centered individual, one who is confident in themselves, therefore mentally strong, judges fights in a different way.

Does any of this make sense to anyone else lol?

I suppose what I'm trying to sum it all up to is it isn't the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/20/08 03:05 AM

yea chinese have a saying: "yut dam, yee lic, sam gung fu"
which translates pretty much into "#1 will/confidence/heart, #2 strength, #3 kung fu"

this is a listing of the importance of each factor in a fight. The most important factor is to have the will/confidence/heart (aka the right state of mind) to fight. If you aren't feeling the fight and you're going up against a guy who wants to tear your head off...well a big chance that you might end up bleeding on the floor.

Also #1>#2>#3. If I'm fighting a man who is stronger than me but I have the mentality to beat him, well I'll find a way to lay the smack down regardless if he lands a killer punch. Having the mentality already gives me strength.

the strength then comes along as #2. Even if you have "good" technique but lack strength and power in those techniques, you're going to lose because they won't work and you'll get over powered.

and lastly #3 is the techniques or kungfu

AND this is a quick explanation on how some MA masters get their @$$ handed to them because they rely too much on their techniques not understanding that they're going to lose out on the mentality and strength part. Mentality is #1...if you dont want to fight then you're going to lose. You have to have the mentality to win and kick butt to defend yourself.
Posted by: Lil_Gray_Hawk

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/26/08 11:34 AM

Quote:

good post!

yea people have to realize how to translate the forms and flowery movements into applicable techniques.

I think it also helps if you have a Sifu that understands the need for self-defense and works with your skills to bring them inline with your martial training.

I'll give myself as an example. I come from an abusive background. I was 'street fighting' at a young age. I went from defending myself against a parent, to defending myself in school to defending myself in bars and then against my own husband. He had judo knowledge and used it 'against' me. I only had street skills and the will and desire to survive.

Fast forward to me at 46. I started my martial training last year. Right away my Sifu realized that I was a 'fighter' and he's been honing my natural talents and abilities. Bringing my skills in line with my martial training.

When we work one-to-one he'll tell to me 'bring it', meaning use everything I know including my street skills. Then he takes my natural ability and shows me how to bring it inline with my martial training.

Also, I'm an avid backpacker and often backpack alone. A woman alone is always at risk. I know this. I've been attacked when alone more than once. (Never on the trail...but recent stories in the news proves no place is safe for a woman when a human predator is on the prowl.) I digress, so back to the point of this thread and my point.

My Sifu started me with a bo staff and I discovered that I can take all I'm learning with the bo staff and apply it to my trekking poles. I always have two of them when I hike.

I have a habit of using whatever is in my hands at the time of an attack for defense. Sifu is now teaching me the skills I need to turn what is in my hand into a weapon of defense. I've never hesitated to use what is at hand, now I have a better grasp of the skills I need.

Does my martial training transfer over into real world. Yes indeed it does. Wish I had thought to take up martial training back in the day. But you are never too late to start in my book if you have the will and desire.

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/26/08 02:41 PM

Littel_Grayhawk I also back pack, hike and camp out under the stars, I agree that Martial Arts is great training and has proven itself time and time again. The Bo works well against 4 or 2 legged animals. But the element of surprises is hard to defend. I'm 6'2 225lbs skilled in multiple disclipines usually very aware most times.

But at least twice I've had a stranger or strangers approach me from behind armed with a large stick (or carrying a heavy stick) while unloading my Jeep to setup camp. These times I've had my earphones in unloading I did this bc I trust my help at the time Two protection trained Dogs a GSD and Rottie in down position. These strangers did't see them until they saw teeth missles coming at them and they dropped the stick trying to avoid being taken apart. Now on command the Dogs returned to my side and these gentlemens were asked to explain what their intentions were. Usually (after they caught there breath and heart stopped pounding) they said they wanted food or a smokes. I still sudder to think what would have happened really and would never do the ear plug thing without them around all by myself in the wilderness.

A buddy of mines muscular and athletic about 6'4 240lbs while assisting a group of men with car trouble was beaten so bad by these guys he looked like the mummy when I spoke with him. They beat him with a tire tool and Axe handle he was lucky.

So what I'm suggesting is get a Camp out partner you can trust either 2 legged or 4 legged, he should be trained as well as you are and willing to do what has to be done.

I'm kinda extreme but I can't count the bodies thats been founded in the woods because they became victims of bad peoples fetihsts 85-90% women. Don't stop enjoying life but take every oppurtunity to protect it.

By the way I was armed with a knife/revovler had a axe and shotgun in the Jeep but non of that would have helped if struck hard from behind by surprises. Luckily the surprises was on them. This is just a suggestions a PP dog is alot of responcibilty but know that it's up to you to stay alive.

Another set of eyes is more important then Bo or firearm sometimes, what can hurt you is what you don't see coming. Ask the guys that pee'd their pants trying to escape Matsummura the GSD and Mulan the Rottie.

You sound like a survivor my msg is just food for thought.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/26/08 03:42 PM

My confidence has grown tremendously over the years as I have trained. Along with that almost simultaneously, grew a deepening respect for other human beings regarding their potential, both for their ability to dish out as well as soak up punishment. Thus, everything evens out in perfect balance. I am neither afraid of or feel superior to other individuals.

-John
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/26/08 10:07 PM

Dude Jkogas you're like Bruce Lee! lol
Posted by: Lil_Gray_Hawk

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/28/08 09:02 PM

Neko456,
I learned not to wear the headset when I'm alone. When I go out alone I used to have one of my GSD's with me. My old guy is arthritic now and I lost my young b*tch to lyme disease this winter. I only hike areas alone that I know well and I boot-scoot into the woods and duck down if I feel I've gotten into a bad spot.

I've run into trouble in the woods a few times over the years. But I won't give up my hikes. Most of the time I hike with a partner. Too many men and women have ended up dead in the woods. Even locally.

Surprise is always a problem. I've been surprised by attackers in my own home a couple times, on the street of my small town, in the city...you name it I've probably had it happen. Sucks to be a female sometimes. But I refuse to stop my life and refuse to let the beatings I did endure keep me down.

Yes, I'm a survivor and I do my best to avoid confrontation whenever possible, but sometimes the fight comes to you regardless.

Thank you kindly for you concern and suggestions.
~Hawk
Posted by: BigJim

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/29/08 02:12 PM

My Martial Arts training has taught me to be more afraid and more confident at the same time. The fear of what can happen gives me great motivation to use my mind to prevent being in a bad situation...not something I can say I did or even wanted to do as a younger man.

On the otherhand, my confidence is very high that when confronted I have enough tools and experience to be a difficult fighter for anyone who trapped me and left me no options.

I would have to say I used that confidence to win a couple of encounters, not ever actually throwing a blow but presenting myself in a way that the others decided it might not be in their best interest to test me.

Of course in hindsight both times I was in a place I maybe should have not been in the first place.
Posted by: bcihak

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/29/08 02:41 PM

For my two cents, or much less, I have found that the best fighters have two things over and above their martial arts experience. The first is enjoying pain, the second is enjoying or at least not flinching in the causing of pain on the people they are fighting. Also, the will to live and survive no matter what will also complement your training.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 06/29/08 08:42 PM

Neko

Scary story.....I like to hike and climb the backcountry as well...some of my buddies carry guns---mainly "just in case" for wild animals--yet as as far as I know they have had to use them "warn off" people on several occasions.

And these are not small guys---they are well over 200 hard lbs each and they still got hassled--until it was noticed they were armed--then the guys took off.

I NOT saying anybody should carry a gun..its ILLEGAL in most parks etc...just saying that no matter whom you are or how "safe" you feel...be careful.

Being away from all the BS also means your away from much in the way of help, LEO's or medicial attention..and there are lots of crazy people in the world.

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 07/03/08 11:14 AM

Gray Hawk we see things nearly the same and yes you are a survivor. Having a PP dog or 2 legged Camping partner is what's needed for that little edge of security. Personally I like the 4 legged extra security because they or he will give his life for you and even handle multiple threats.

Especially when I revisited the sceniro of how do you out run a Grizzly? Your two legged friend only has to outrun you. LOL. Where as the 4 legged friend may circle and hold him off long enough for you both or U to escape. Or at least eliminate the element of surprise giving U the chance to put 2-5 slugs in him and Campsite Bear stew don't taste that bad in a pinch.

CTX wrote - Being away from all the BS also means your away from much in the way of help, LEO's or medicial attention..and there are lots of crazy people in the world.

That's so true especially for women I study serial killer cases study, some women have disappeared never to be discovered not even their remains. Like you mentioned you both mentioned don't want to stop enjoying the outdoors but be prepared to take every advantage you can in order to survive. I've helped strangers in the wood but only with the help of my 100lb GSD male and 100lb Rottie at a sit watching every move they make. I mean they have to ask to blow their nose.

As for being armed at some Campsite you are right, some places this is against the law, but I trust Me not to uses these weapons aggressively. I don't trust the strangers with heavy stick, knife or gun with serial numbers scrachted off. Other campsite allow you to hunt there and as is my motto the threat decides whether he is friend or Prey. And I don't trust their decision, but I trust my 4 legged buddies and Me. Mostly because of your all so true statement above. I'll call send that help back for them if possible.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 07/05/08 01:04 AM

Heh, my life has been saved by four legged buddies and 6 barrelled side kicks way more than any human ever. Kudos to Neko and Gray hawk.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 07/07/08 11:34 PM

On edit - saved more by animals/weapons than by other humans. Not saved more than any other human

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 07/08/08 01:32 PM

I understood what you meant and fully agree sometimes 4 legged friends you can trust more. Because they see you as family or part of their pack. I have alot of confidence in my pack 2 or 4 legged most are usually MA trained.

Some may say that I think my dog(2 or 4 legged) can do that too, but I have confident in knowing that I've seen them get down or seen them train to get down or tarined with them to get down. I mean how do you know if you never seen them even try to get down.

Confident is built by successfully trainning to resolve like situations. I even keep my patio door unlocked at night, the GSD can slide it open if he wants or see you in trouble trained him to do it. I'm confident in my personal skills in the MA also but I don't mind help.

Don't ever try this at home. Some guys had brought their dogs to work alternately. That night I brought Mat they wanted to meet him, it was 5 of them I asked that they all surround me as if they were going to attack. I stood in the middle movie like, except I called, " Matt I need help"!! the next thing they saw was this 100lb GSD jumping through the Jeep's window driving these 5 200+lbs guys into a corner as if they were sheep. I sit him and introduced him. I said "What do you think of Matt", they said "Damn I'm a believer", so was I even before I called him. Did it 100 times in training. But he not always around so personal MAs is still best to train, but using him is less sweat for me anyway. He makes other people sweat just being around him. But he's just my buddy.

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 07/09/08 10:16 AM

Don't ever try this at home. Some of us guys had brought their dogs to work alternately. That night I brought Mat they wanted to meet him, it was 5 of them I asked that they all surround me as if they were going to attack. I stood in the middle movie like, except I called, "Matt I need help"!! the next thing they saw was this 100lb GSD jumping through the Jeep's window driving these 5 200+lbs guys into a corner as if they were sheep. I sit him and introduced him. I said "What do you think of Matt", they said "Damn I'm a believer", so was I even before I called him. Did it 100 times in training. But he not always around so personal MAs is still best to train, but using him is less sweat for me anyway. He makes other people sweat just being around him. But he's just my buddy.

Why this was done the week before a guy brought his Rodesian Ridgeback (a beautiful dog, we were in a fenced in ATF base) that he thought was very protective of his home and pack memebers. The 5 of us were standing there as he brought his dog up he stopped smiling. As we approached him he had this smile on his face expecting the dog to become aggresive. It didn't it wrapped his legs up with leash because it duck behind him looking through his leg scared. He was mocked like dog like owner. I told him later that you can't expect a dog to react the same off his property as he does on it. Beautiful do though.

Of course Matsumura thinks anywhere he goes is his if I say so. Kinda like knowing you can fight and thinking you can. Confidence is golden.
Posted by: bighitter

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 07/10/08 12:37 PM

some nice replies but it's sad to think you guys train in unarmed combat yet you take/would use a weapon.

I would only use a weapon if the attacker had one, i know you might want to fend them off but i can tell you here and now, if you have fended someone off with a weapon - YOU ARE LUCKY.

some people get excited by that kind of thing and will literally come back with a bigger and better weapon and suddenly you're in a bad bad situation.

I don't know, i've not done this camping outdoors kind of thing but you people have put me off!

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 07/11/08 11:10 AM

well if you fended off somebody why would you stick around for round 2?? I'd get the hell out of there and be safe & smart about where I would be going to hang out and maybe stay clear of certain places for little.

Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. - 07/11/08 02:01 PM

Quote:

some nice replies but it's sad to think you guys train in unarmed combat yet you take/would use a weapon.

I would only use a weapon if the attacker had one, i know you might want to fend them off but i can tell you here and now, if you have fended someone off with a weapon - YOU ARE LUCKY.

some people get excited by that kind of thing and will literally come back with a bigger and better weapon and suddenly you're in a bad bad situation.

I don't know, i've not done this camping outdoors kind of thing but you people have put me off!

=======================================================

What world did you just come from are you a native of earth? Do you read the papers or listen to the news. Have you seen or been in any fights? Fighting fair is for movies and tournaments.

If a guy fights with his fist I'll oblige if I can't talk my way out or walk away. But anything after that its tough luck Charlie, after a certain point, if I get a chance i'll slash his eyes with my fingers and beat the hell out of him or stomp his knee and bthoh. They don't come back at me until the wake up and I don't leaving calling cards with info on them. All they can say is I tried to rob or mug this guy and he BTHO Me.

I've had guys try to pull weapons out on me (some were bluffing other were not) but they let their mouth overload their a$$. None have never made it out, its hard to stop a sweep or eye jab follow by a knee gullotine, with your hand trapped in your pocket. I wouldn't call it luck if you done it more then one time. And really the odds are in your favor if he has two or 1 hand trapped in his pocket. Thats a clear KO, temple wide open. Nor can he block a 2x4 against his head with both hands trying to get his weapon out. Sorry I know thats unfair but welcome to the real world. Thats how I roll, you order sh%^ you eat it.

The most I'll do is call the paramedic and tell them where he lays. Sorry Thats as fair as I get.

If for an instance I'm out numbered or he's armed I'll shoot him/them dead if they won't let me escape. Wanting to take on armed and multiples is waiting for someone to call "Cut thats a wrap", in the real world the only one cut will be you thinking like you do think Prince Charming of Honest John. I've fought multiples but it was more like fought at them beat them if they caught me or stood in my way of escape. Hurt them pretty bad.

I know this doesn't sound respectful, hold honor or chilvirous or Knightly/Samuria like but buddy there ain't nothing respectly in real fighting. Really it is not quite as vicious as the Knights/Samurai's those guys would cut your head off, we paint a pretty picture but on the real fighting is just vicious.

After all that I still Campout peaceful and do scerene meditate with my eyes closed, sometime wear earphones listen and dance to music out there (with dogs on point). I am a Peacful man until my peace is broken. I only try to control what I can, the other things I just prepare to handle when my peace is broke. I trust Me and mines, and enjoy the beauty of the world just not many strangers do I trust.

Man that (my O) of the Martial art in a small pot. Do you know what Martial means? It don't mean Peace out.

Sorry to disapponted ya empty hand is just one of the tools I use to survive. I don't put out house fires by spitting.