Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun....

Posted by: Neko456

Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun.... - 04/29/08 10:29 AM

Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun, I know that there are some people that practice weak fighting arts. But I hate it when people use one lost to show a weakness. This video showed a WCer losing in a MMA ring then show Emin playing with a student dancing while he is doing Chi Sao all while they were showing example of what they consider non effective WC training. I didn't see anything wrong with the way they were training, its WC not wrestling or boxing.

People use the ring/cage fighting arena as a test for effective fighting its not what really happens in a fight. Though it does have elements that could happen. Anyway it showed a Wing Chun fighter being taken down and pounded out by a grappler I've seen this happen to Karate and BJJers too. So what does that prove nothing except it can happen to anybody on a given day.

Whats your take on this crashing and why do you think it was done? Is WC that far up(memebership wise) the ladder that people outside the system see its rear as a bulls-eye?
Posted by: kung_fu_eyes

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun.... - 04/29/08 10:41 AM

Id say the video is naive and a little disrespectful.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun.... - 04/29/08 12:06 PM

please post a link to the video
Posted by: harlan

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun.... - 04/29/08 12:19 PM

Is this post about WC in particular, and its' fight effectiveness, 'ring' fights as a poor instrument to display full range of any fighting style, lack of intellent analysis at Bullshido, or the long-standing tendancy to judge any art on public performance (even if done by it's weakest representatives)?
Posted by: cxt

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun.... - 04/29/08 01:25 PM

Neko

Yep, its a shame...and wildly inaccurate as well.

I admire what Bullshido tries to do.....I have little respect for the level of discourse that is typical over there.....their methodology tends to be all over the place in terms of quality as well--some of it is top notch---some of it ain't even close.

It proves nothing...beyond what limits there are in the test itself and the skills of the specific people invloved.....also speaks to testing bias of course.

All martial arts are essentially self-justifying and self referencing-----it either works for the person using it or it does not...EVERYTHING else is theory.

If "my" wing chuan, karate, hung gar, tai-chi, TKD, sambo, boxing etc worked when I needed it to then it worked period.
What someone else was able or unable to do with it is irrelvant to the question.

If it didn't work then there is a considerable amount of questions as to why it might not have---starting with the person themseleves--then whom taught them etc.

It might very well be a case of simple running into the guy/girl that has your number--maybe they were just a better fighter....happens to everybody..in every art...even Chuck Liddel gets beat every now and then.

And most of us are no where near the fighter Chuck is.

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun.... - 04/29/08 01:27 PM

I totally disagree with their opinions. Like you I don't take ring fighting as ruler for whats effective on the street. I find that they advertise hype trying to get a reaction and thats why they attack popular MA systems like Wing Chun r Wing Tsung or TKD.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun.... - 04/29/08 01:29 PM

'Those who know don't talk.' Probably a good rule of thumb.
Posted by: donchisau

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/29/08 01:35 PM

Neko I agree with you but one thing to keep in mind.. For whatever reason while wing chun contains throws and other types of grappling most wing chun is taught without the throws. So you end up with wing chun guys that are not prepared for grappling hence take down and ground and pound.

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/29/08 05:21 PM

Donchisau do you really think that the WCer in the cage macht had not seen grappling in his class?

I think sometimes people get caught up in how they grapple. The wrestler didn't get into the standing horse fighting stance like Wcer before he shot, he didn't fient a punch. The WC guy seemed to be caught out of sync and jsut covered up seemed to be looking for the out/break/referee once on the ground. Surprisingly the WCer wasn't trying to strike back from his back WCers will strike from any position but I guess in the MMA ring they say you can't or don't have power, thats true if you are trying to CLUB but if you are snapping you can break a noses, swell a eye and shatter a cheekbones. Thats what shocking to me they say you shouldn't/can't and some people will cover instead of try to fire back.

WCers as you know don't need much room to strike. From my point of view he stopped Wing Chuning (trying to be funny but true) once on the ground.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/29/08 06:14 PM

I honestly think that video was funnier than singing crap, and you all know how I feel about wing chun and how it is trained vs. how it should be.
You can't take Bullshido too seriously - they do these videos on EVERY style out there! You should watch their 'MMA Sucks Month' video for a good example.
I DO agree with one of their frequent criticisms of WC - that it is overburdened with politics and blowhards who claim 'sifu' status but couldn't fight their way out of a marshmallow forest full of Care Bears. Beyond that, I don't care and the only real effect that video had on me was getting 'Magic Dance' stuck in my head for close to 48 hours.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/29/08 07:02 PM

Quote:

couldn't fight their way out of a marshmallow forest full of Care Bears

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/29/08 07:39 PM

please post a link to the video you are discussing

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/29/08 08:36 PM

Just search for it on Youtube

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/29/08 10:12 PM

Nekko I think it is very possible he hadn't seen any or very little grappling in his training. I don't think he was aware at all of the possibility of a fast take down or the range from which a take down can occur.

I also am 100% sure that his wing chun training did not include regular training of the throws and chin-na. Won't even talk about what do to on the ground.
Posted by: jude33

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/29/08 11:31 PM

Quote:

Nekko I think it is very possible he hadn't seen any or very little grappling in his training. I don't think he was aware at all of the possibility of a fast take down or the range from which a take down can occur.

I also am 100% sure that his wing chun training did not include regular training of the throws and chin-na. Won't even talk about what do to on the ground.

Hi.
Just some of my thougths and some questions if you care to answer them.
Why was wing chun created?
Was it a faster to learn version of white crane?
Was it meant to be used in combat?
Did it include weapons?
If it was meant to be used in combat were other arts trained along side it?

Thanks

Jude
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun.... - 04/30/08 01:33 AM

Quote:

Id say the video is naive and a little disrespectful.

That's what bullshito is all about. That's why I don't post there. Too many nutriders and idiots like kickcatcher, hedgehogey, etc......

According to them any TMA is crap and MMA rules as the ultimate. Give me a break.

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/30/08 11:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi.
Just some of my thougths and some questions if you care to answer them.
Why was wing chun created?
Was it a faster to learn version of white crane?
Was it meant to be used in combat?
Did it include weapons?
If it was meant to be used in combat were other arts trained along side it?

Thanks

Jude

Jude33 Wing Chun was devises to be a faster Method of self defense it along with Choy Lit Fut was suppose to be a quicker to learn Combat art. Some say these two arts were choosen to be used against the invading armies in the China vs. England/US/Russia... wars (whoever else wanted in on the wealth).

They both were popular and effective arts, I think CLF was more popular probably because it Sifu's traveled aboard. Even during the 50-60s popular WC Sifus didn't want to teach it to forginers, probably bc of the WAR. But when it was found that in the 60-70s that it was Bruce Lee's roots Wing Chun became very popular.

I've heard Old Chinese Sifu's describe WC as lazy mans Kung- fu because they thought it only taught a quick way to fight. Others describe it as fighting Gung-fu as they do Praying Mantis.

My O is all Gung-fu are fighting arts.

Except the extremly changed Northen style Whu Su or whatever it's called now.

========================================================

Donchisau - So you are saying that he entered a MMA match and didn't expect to be taken down?? He didn't expect something, I will say that he stood true to his art he took a Wing Chun fighting stance straight back, mid guard point at the oponent and everything. Before he was taken down and out. He didn't widen his stance to make the dbl leg difficult or anything maybe he thought he had a impenterable structure?

WCers can be BIG headed thinking they have a superior system because BRUCE LEE studied this system.

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/30/08 11:24 AM

Why was wing chun created? No Idea why. Several different stories. I call them myths. Most popular was a desire to create method to beat the government. Some say to tame the Hung. Nothing prior to Red Boats about 1850 can be verified and even after that it's hard to verify.

Was it a faster to learn version of white crane? No. It was a new art with a white crane base. The same as SPM and Bak Mei. When you break it down Wing Chun is a combination of white crane and Emei snake with some tiger or other claw using art. The snake is not like that seen in jackie chan movies. The ging is very small body and moves in a wave up through the body and darts out the hand.

Speed in learning is relative. When it was created people trained hours every day so it no doubt was learned in a short time in terms of months and years.

Was it meant to be used in combat? Yes, but not in the sense of army vs army. The Red Boat performs lead a rebellion centered around Fatshan etc in the south during the 1850s through the 1860s. There were also wing chun people known in the boxer rebellion as well as several famous body guards and Marshals.

Did it include weapons? Yes all wing chun includes the Long pole. Most include some form of knives although most are Hung based and a few styles have a sword as well.
In fact the real win chun fighting methods and tactics are held in the pole and knife forms. Thats why the forms have been held out and watered down for general consumption. The forms are meant to be done empty handed. In fact you can perform all the hand forms with the knives . In the old days this was encouraged once the knives were taught.

If it was meant to be used in combat were other arts trained along side it? Most of the early wing chun players were already well versed in martial arts before they took up wing chun. In most family histories they came to wing chun after challenging and losing a fight. No way to know what is true.
Wing chun itself contains numerous throwing and joint manipulation techniques. the only ground fighting was concerned with how to get up from the ground after you were thrown down. There is also fighting from a kneeling position.
Some families of wing chun spend far more time on the grappling aspects than the striking aspects.

Most wing chun you see today comes from Yip Man and he did not spend much time on these aspects with most of his students. For example when he first started teaching he taught the kneeling horse but most of his students never learned it.
When his number one student Yip Bo Ching died, he was the only one taught the 12 sections of the knife after his death Yip man taught the 12 sections to Wong Sheung Lung although from what I have seen the forms are a bit different but the 12 concepts are the same, Yip Bo Chings note books contained throwing and joint locks so Yip Man taught this material to some students

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/30/08 12:24 PM

Interesting in that is how I read the Yip-man started training in WC after a being beaten by a Wing Chun man. I don't remember which system he first studied.

The rumor that it was devises to counter the Hung gar practioners is interesting in that they were a powerful, strong and well thought of clan or family that controlled and marshalled over entire villages and towns. They were not known to be a quick delivery system. Though they do strike block simultaneously in some moves.

Just for info whats your opinion of WC's rivial CLF? For some reason thought easier to learn with quiker moves then Hung gar.

Whats or When was Red Boar conflict a happen?

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/30/08 02:36 PM

Quote:

Just search for it on Youtube

Since I'm sure there's only 1 Wing Chun video on youtube I'll be brought directly to the one you're talking about.
Thanks for the brilliant advice.

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/30/08 04:06 PM

I tried to find it again and I couldn't I found it going through harlan's post in the Internal art portion of this forum I think I went to Emin Boztez simenar then there it is.

I'd search Bullshido Wing Chun sucks in Youtube.

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/30/08 06:13 PM

Quote:

I tried to find it again and I couldn't I found it going through harlan's post in the Internal art portion of this forum I think I went to Emin Boztez simenar then there it is.

I'd search Bullshido Wing Chun sucks in Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3sfXnZyyA&feature=related

Is that the link? If it is then who is to say what style the other guy did other than bullshido?.

If Bullshido posted the video and that is the video the name says it all. I think it was pure fabrication.

I think poorly trained martial artists/ boxers/ chefs/ bricklayers/ pole dancers can be found anywhere .
So can the ones that are well trained.
It happens in all walks of life.

Maybe they should create a video of who fabricated the worsed video made for bullshido?

I presume bullshido has advertisers on their website?
If they have thats one way of getting noticed.

It would appeal to the certain mentality brigade

Having said all that it would be nice if a wing chin practioner posted a video to counter act bullshido.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3jJ-lb7N8A&feature=related

Wing Chun & Ju Jitsu - Samuel Kwok & Carlson Gracie

So do any wing chun practioners have any thoughts on this video?

Jude

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/30/08 08:58 PM

Thanks for the good explanation.

As I said if you have made wing chun work then good on you.

Neko I hope you dont mind me asking some what off topic questions.

Jude

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 04/30/08 10:33 PM

JAMJTX - Hey you're welcome man. And for a backup nugget of knowledge - search it on the Bullshido site.

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 05/01/08 05:17 PM

Be easier if someone posted links for any topic being discussed.

Just been on the site. All geared up to the same thing.

Everything is bad apart from bullshido and yes they do have
advertisers.

Create a website. Put in bullshido topics. Get a high viewer count.

Sell advertisement space.

Just going off topic somewhat.

There was an interesting song line from some years ago.

It was called "What a fool believes"

Jude

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 05/01/08 09:51 PM

Allrightallrightalready...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C3DsY6bCxaA
There's the MMA sucks vid.

Jude - Good points. I'm glad that you're not one of the spoon-fed impressionables. Good on ya

Re: Just viewed Bullshido video crashing Wing Chun - 05/02/08 10:34 AM

Jude33 wrote - Neko I hope you dont mind me asking some what off topic questions.

No thats fine you always add a little spice to the subjects discussed I thought that was informative too. I like a little spice in my rice.

Maybe Bullshiod is Bullsh$%% hype itself. I remember it tried to rim the travelling MA British Kung fu guy on a TV show he was interviewed on. It showed me that the Kung fu guy knew his stuff, unprepare whipped two or three unrehearsed attackers without really hurting them. I guess they do expose some light negative and positive.