fake kung fu master video

Posted by: pepto_bismol

fake kung fu master video - 04/06/08 12:12 PM

A fat guy at my school has always claimed to be a black belt in karate and several styles of kung fu... (choy li fut, eagle claw, kung fu...)

he even went as far as to start a "self defence club" and demonstrates to random people.

I sent an agent to his hang out spot and asked him to teach us kung fu. (the kid by the way watches a loot of anime) and secretly recorded it.

heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9szZ2TUjeA

This is a perfect example of some of the asiaphiles that are claiming to represent kung fu.
Posted by: Seiken

Re: fake kung fu master video - 04/06/08 02:27 PM

In all honesty, I fail to see how a headlock escape and bearhug escape show this guys incompetence?

Millions of people take martial arts, whose to say how good everyone is/should be and what ranks they have achieved? Many athletes that accomplish seemingly impossible feats have their prime and downslides as well... should they be judged by their worst every time? This is not the martial arts way.

And thats not such a bad round kick for such a big guy...

Re: fake kung fu master video - 04/06/08 02:59 PM

Quote:

In all honesty, I fail to see how a headlock escape and bearhug escape show this guys incompetence?

Well since he claims to be a master in martial arts, and that his dad taught him secret kung fu... I would expect a hell of a lot more then that.
Posted by: Seiken

Re: fake kung fu master video - 04/07/08 02:04 AM

You expect to see an entire persons wealth of knowledge in a video clip that you claim was made in secrecy? Interesting.
Posted by: Triddle

Re: fake kung fu master video - 04/07/08 03:13 AM

Is it just me or are those guys really quite overweight? Everyone in the video seemed somewhat overproportioned so maybe it was the video.

Anyway, this was amusing, thanks for sharing it.
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: fake kung fu master video - 04/07/08 01:59 PM

why bother with all the trouble other than just to be a hater?

you could have spent that time with your own training.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: fake kung fu master video - 04/07/08 02:39 PM

1) It looks like a fat guy trying to do some basic Tae Kwon Do. This is not Chinese style martial arts.

2) There is no "black belt" in Chinese martial arts. A lot of idiots call themselves "black sash" instead, but that just seems more idiotic to me.

3) there is such thing as a martial art called kungfu. Any time someone says to you "I know Kungfu", you know right away that they are a moron. Kungfu just means something like "great skill". You can have "kungfu"/"great skill" in a lot of things. This video shows no real skills, other than perhaps at eating.

Sure you can't tell his whole life by one video. If he were elderly, then you can say that he's well past his prime and no longer performing like he did when he was young. This guy, claiming to be a "master" and as young as he is, video should be pretty impressive. This is not.

But the real "red flags" here are that he "learned secret kungfu from his father", holds a "black belt in kungfu" and that he doesn't even understand the proper usage of the term "kungfu". He's just another fake.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: fake kung fu master video - 04/07/08 02:52 PM

Does this guy know you put him on youtube? I think he could technically sue you for defamation for that if you didn't let him know he was going to be displayed to the open public, making an ass of himself. Don't get me wrong - law is not my major, but I seriously think that you are in violation of some sort of legal right to privacy here. Plus, it's just in bad form to use the internet to embarrass someone else, no matter who they are or what they claim.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: fake kung fu master video - 04/07/08 03:00 PM

Good points by ShikataGaNai.
It was a public demonstration, so he did give up any expectation of privacy. But usually photograpgers and videographers have people sign a release before using such material.
It could be sticky here if he decided to sue. As long as you can show that there was no commercial intent with the video you're probably ok.
It would be different if it were a private thing and you sot ot through his window or something. But this is clearly out in the open where anyone can see.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: fake kung fu master video - 04/07/08 04:05 PM

He may have studied with his Dad but he is not a Master because his skill level is not there and he talks about being a Master. Most Master of Kung-fu are not 15-19 years old high school students and they usually don't have to tell you see it in their techniques and the way they act. Unless trying to build enrollment they usually don't give public demos.

I don't see the purpose of having you in a arms free rear bearhug? Did he say that he studied Kung-fu and we took it that he said he was a Master of Kung-fu? A BB just means you know the basic of a system its not a Masters grade in Karate/Judo.

Re: fake kung fu master video - 04/07/08 10:00 PM

Quote:

Did he say that he studied Kung-fu and we took it that he said he was a Master of Kung-fu? A BB just means you know the basic of a system its not a Masters grade in Karate/Judo.

Nooo... nikko. I was very thorough with my investigation. He said he was a "master in choy li fut, and eagly claw, and tiger claw" and a "black belt in karate"

I know he watches a lot of naruto.

And he probably read a martial arts book or two.

But he deffinetely claimed to be a master in kung fu and black belt in karate.

that's why it's both sad and funny.

like romeo and juliet...
Posted by: penquin

Re: fake kung fu master video - 04/28/08 02:33 PM

I am a good martial artist, and I appear overweight.(I actually have a massive hernia) The video shows that he was taught something, but I highly doubt that he is a black belt. I also highly doubt he is a master of kung fu. I am comparing his ability to Sammo Hung.

But if he really is either a black belt or a kung fu master then I am an awesome martial artist and at minimum of a 5th degree black belt.