Ving Tsun Self Defense Academy sparring

Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Ving Tsun Self Defense Academy sparring - 03/17/08 03:27 PM

Been reluctant to put this up, but what the hey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB7L1AT9Bf8
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Ving Tsun Self Defense Academy sparring - 03/17/08 04:07 PM

Dag! Nice helmet break.

Shika - was one of those guys you? And do you have any other proper sparring vids? Speed and power looked good in the demos.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Ving Tsun Self Defense Academy sparring - 03/17/08 05:13 PM

I only saw 1 real strike each time from you why didn't you exchange with him he wasn't hitting that hard, from the outside looking in. You think some side to side head movement would make him have to time you giving you a chance to get off.

Good clip sparring that way. Jolly good show, ole man.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Ving Tsun Self Defense Academy sparring - 03/18/08 12:45 AM

Yeah, I'm the guy with the headache - and the other guy is my sifu.
There will be more sparring vids - we mostly do WC vs. brawler, boxer etc. because WC vs. WC always ends up going like chi sao on crack - or like a complete mess.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Ving Tsun Self Defense Academy sparring - 03/18/08 06:20 AM

I liked watching that video. Your sifu had great speed and power with his strikes. Pretty cool.
Good thing for the helmet right? lol
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Ving Tsun Self Defense Academy sparring - 03/18/08 06:40 AM

Quote:

There will be more sparring vids - we mostly do WC vs. brawler, boxer etc. because WC vs. WC always ends up going like chi sao on crack - or like a complete mess.

Looks nice, though I would label it something other than "sparring" as that is a misnomer to the public about what you guys do. Just a suggestion. At least in this particular case it was anyway. Food for thought.

-John
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Ving Tsun Self Defense Academy sparring - 03/18/08 12:28 PM

I agree with Jkogas it not free sparring it more like pre-empt strike training in that you only get one chance to penertrate his defense before you fold.

It looks like WC good and bad, he has fast short strikes and a solid base. I'd like to see him deflect a hook and continue his assault.

As I stated above jolly good show.

I know thats Sifu but ...
Posted by: donchisau

Re: Ving Tsun Self Defense Academy sparring - 03/19/08 02:45 PM

Wow, talk about bringing back memories. Other than the hair Matt looks the same as the last time I saw him.. Change the hair color and I would think I was looking at a vid from Phil's school 10 years ago. Have to agree don't think you should tag this as a sparring clip. A demo of some type.
Posted by: Triddle

Re: Ving Tsun Self Defense Academy sparring - 03/22/08 09:33 AM

An interesting video, good of you to put it up. The music was excellent and the pictures colourful.

Many have said that this was 'not sparring' and that you should relable it. Well, I have to ask what exactly were the drills you were performing in this video? It appeared to me almost as though your sifu was practicing his chain punches plus the occasional kick on you. Clearly this was not sparring in the conventional sense.

Oh, I nearly forgot to ask - when you say "We do wing chun vs brawler, boxer etc" What exactly do you mean by that? Do you not need a brawler or boxer to play said rolls for such a drill to work? (Despite what anyone may say a 'brawler' is usually a very capable fighter who won't just do what comes naturally) I shant speculate as to what is going on with regards to this, as for all I know you are an experienced brawler/boxer.

Other than the questions, I have to say that your sifu's speed and apparent power were quite good, and it's good to see that you took the precaution of a helmet
Posted by: MI5VTSDA

Re: Ving Tsun Self Defense Academy sparring - 04/11/08 02:03 AM

thank you all for your comments on the video. I am very humbled that you all took the time to watch it and offer your thoughts. i don't normally respond or comment, but i felt the air needed to be cleared a bit.

the title was just something Nogunri came up with on the spot. I can't speak for him, but I think it was more related to the punchline of Nogunri's video than much else. when asked on that YouTube page, Nogunri also said "it was a demo in the sense that we agreed to defend against wide hook, jab, cross, front kick etc. Other than that, 100% WYSIWYG. Even got the headache to show for it."

i don't think we or anyone ever claimed more than that, but I am sorry for any confusion. if you want to learn more about our school, please visit our website, www.vtsda.info, or check out other videos such as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtZfrA0sGG8

sincere good wishes to all of you and in your training. thank you again for watching our video.

MI-5
VTSDA

mi5vtsda@gmail.com