This is White Crane...

Posted by: ashe_higgs

This is White Crane... - 01/17/08 02:52 PM

if you're already familiar with white crane, just scroll past the "article" and check out the video clip.

these guys are pretty damn good!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: This is White Crane... - 01/17/08 04:10 PM

Good speed. Those guys were faster than the cameraman, LOL. Ashe, was that a two-man form they were doing at around 2:00?
Posted by: Neko456

Re: This is White Crane... - 01/17/08 04:48 PM

Going by that demo they seem to be fine examples of their art, they showed speed, timing and power. They definitely showed that they have put some time in. I really liked the way their two man set was the fighting application of their kata. It almost reminded me of the teaching of my base system and where my teachers may have gotten their foundation from.

I found the whole demo to be a good example of what Southern Crane has to offer. Neat Art.

Re: This is White Crane... - 01/17/08 06:49 PM

Quote:

Good speed. Those guys were faster than the cameraman, LOL. Ashe, was that a two-man form they were doing at around 2:00?

good fa jin too. i don't have a lot of direct first hand experience with White Crane, but it certainly looked like a two man set to me. too perfect to be a spontaneous application demo, but extremely nice none the less.

this came from Lorne Bernard, the poster of the clip;

Quote:

Thank you so much. It feels great to get encouraging comments. In the Flying crane style, the two man sets are quite short( the video is actually of two or 3 short sets put together for demo purposes) and very aplication oriented. In fact, as students progress there is much room for inovation and the application of different techniques within any given form.. Anyhow Thanks again for your comments and best of luck!
Lorne Bernard

Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: This is White Crane... - 01/23/08 03:45 AM

highley recomend Lorne Bernard's white crane book as well, excellent wrtiing and technical info on the system.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: This is White Crane... - 01/25/08 01:26 PM

Personally I don't see alot of S. White Crane techniques in Shorin what I see mostly if any is 5 animal system with its light, fleet footed movement and more elaborate kicking system. This does included Tiger, Crane, Dragon, Snake and Leapord. Now there are some Shorin that have been merged with Shorei that practice both sides differently but similar.

S. Crane methods may not be openly visible in Shuri-te, but we know some form of Crane is. There are Crane systems that don't root but are based on fast hands and mobility. What does that sound like?
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: This is White Crane... - 01/25/08 01:57 PM

highly likely just a different expression of white crane IMO,

or perhaps the emphasis being taken away by the significance of a Shaolin Long Fist boxing system.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: This is White Crane... - 01/25/08 02:20 PM

Good video, was that cane form at the beginning actually from White Crane or was it inspired by the principles of the art and adapted to the cane does anyone know?

Re: This is White Crane... - 01/26/08 02:33 AM

i've scheduled Lorne for an interview on an upcoming WuSignals podcast (feb 3rd), so if you have questions, get 'em in and i'll ask him.