What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID

Posted by: VietPanda

What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/02/07 08:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjK0g-cDJI4
OK I'm not sure if this guy really is a Kungfu expert
But how would I get out of a situation like this?

Thanx!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/02/07 09:02 AM

Learn BJJ.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/02/07 09:54 AM

"It is almost impossible for a person primarily trained in punches and kicks to avoid being taken down by a BJJ practicioner."

To avoid being taken down, learn to sprawl. Learn to grapple period. Doesn't have to be BJJ and it doesn't make BJJ superior, just better at grappling.
Posted by: Usenthemighty

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/02/07 11:56 AM

What he said. I personally hate it when people say you wanna grapple learn BJJ as if it is the only grappling art in the world.
Posted by: Shonuff

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 04:11 AM

I thought the kung fu guy gave a good accounting of himself especially as a non grappler vs one of the best in the world.

Looking at that vid I cant see how a sprawl would've worked, the grappler came in too high. Avoiding being taken down can be done purely with close striking methods, primarily because close striking should include an element of controling manipulation, but the fact remains it can be done, it is just hard and like any method not completely reliable.

Hell, looking at the vid if there had been no wall the kungfu man may yet have escaped that particular attempt, or if he had just avoided trying to kick above the waist a second time as gracie was coming in.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 04:28 AM

Royce Gracie vs Jason Delucia? Didn't they fight each other during UFC 2? If this was recorded before UFC 2 it seems as if the Gracies were picking people they knew Royce could beat to promote their art through the UFC. And if it was recorded after I would assume that Jason would not fight Royce a second time with no grappling training. So either he just sucks at grappling after training and fighting Royce a second time or he is an idiot for not training in grappling and thinking he could win. Either way he was able to last as long as he did with athleticism and no real technique.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 06:49 AM

WAS that Delucia? If so, didn't he have grappling training? Didn't he train with the Gracies for a while?

Royce is NOT the world's greatest grappler either. He never HAS been. Probably average at best in terms of black belt level.

-John
Posted by: Neko456

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/03/07 09:42 AM

I can't view the video but did watch the UFC fight. Back then most strikers didn't understand Grappling and had false confidence that they could hit and hurt the Grappler
before he grabbed them.

The Strength of Bjj or Wrestling is that its a full committed sport you physically force your will on the other person, and with JJ they are use to striking. So they know your way and you don't know theres (back then).

The Gracies have been competing like that for more then 70 years its the way they were trained. Its was just the way it was, if he is prepared for what you can offer and U are not prepared for his arsenal that happens.

When you train to throw bodyweight around all the time in training it is a tremendous advantage compared to just mentally thiking I'd do this instead.

It is amazing that it was said that Royce was one of the weakest link in the Graice's Clan. That says something about BJJ training methods and family. They are still great grapplers but he MA worlds caught up with other methods.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 11:08 AM

Quote:

Avoiding being taken down can be done purely with close striking methods

Such as what? Besides kneeing the exact time they shoot in striking does noting. It at least does noting to me and my training buddies when we double leg take down. Plus when Royce changed levels that was the time he had to sprawl and clinch up. Jason Delucia is 33-20-1 thats an ok record. I mean its not like 22-2-0 Rich Franklin(my favorite fighter), but he's ok.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 12:09 PM

Jason Delucia has posted here on occasion:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15874183

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15775859

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15774753
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/03/07 01:06 PM

Simple.

Don't take/make a challenge match w/ Royce Gracie...
Unless you plan to use a weapon.
Posted by: everyone

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 01:11 PM

Quote:

What he said. I personally hate it when people say you wanna grapple learn BJJ as if it is the only grappling art in the world.

There are very effective Chinese/Indian/Mongolian wrestling styles that may fit more closely with your training in Kungfu. The principals are different and feels very distinct from BJJ. In some ways, I have found these wrestling styles to be not only better integrated with my Kungfu but also to have some advantages over BJJ.

The main advantages I have found are: It is not as commonly taught so opponents don’t know what to expect. There is less reliance on using your clothing or your opponents clothing to execute a technique. Striking feels more integrated and developed into the ground fighting.

This has been my experience, others may have a different view. But for the above reasons (and others), I discontinued my training in BJJ (at an MMA school) and am solely training at a more TMA (with some competing in MMA) Kungfu school now.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 01:15 PM

How did we let him get away? I guess busy training other Kung-fu MMA fighters now. How old is Sifu Jason now?

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/03/07 01:51 PM

Quote:

Simple.

Don't take/make a challenge match w/ Royce Gracie...
Unless you plan to use a weapon.

Or unless your are Matt Hughes. Actually, any skilled figher with good wrestling, submission defense, and ground and pound might do well.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 01:56 PM

Quote:

This has been my experience, others may have a different view. But for the above reasons (and others), I discontinued my training in BJJ (at an MMA school) and am solely training at a more TMA (with some competing in MMA) Kungfu school now.

Try it from a wrestling perspective. Many wrestlers like to stay on their feet and strike or ground and pound from top and feel fighting from your back is just not a smart strategy. Their take on bjj/submission wrestling is legit and IMO MUCH better than most of the bjj out there. Just look at Dan Henderson and Randy Couture.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/03/07 02:18 PM

Quote:

Actually, any skilled figher with good wrestling, submission defense, and ground and pound might do well.

Of course,

But I think the post was about stand up strikers vs. BJJ.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 02:42 PM

In that case it depends on the person. IMO if you intend of fighting in one phase, you better be able to keep it in that phase. With that said it's a no brianer for strikers to have strong takedown defense and ground fighters strong take downs.
Think Wanderlei Silva vs Hidehiko Yoshida.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/03/07 02:51 PM

Well, I consider myself a striker. It doesn't matter the position, but I train to use my strikes effectively no matter the situation. In fact, ground and pound and striking on the ground is one of the most effective ways to neutralize a bjj guy. It is also how strikers can defeat superior grapplers. If you understand the basics and can develop good skill in grappling you can defeat a superior grappler with effective striking and positioning. So why must a striker be pigeon holed as either stand up or ground and pound? If you are a striker then strike.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 02:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Such as what? Besides kneeing the exact time they shoot in striking does noting. It at least does noting to me and my training buddies when we double leg take down. Plus when Royce changed levels that was the time he had to sprawl and clinch up. Jason Delucia is 33-20-1 thats an ok record. I mean its not like 22-2-0 Rich Franklin(my favorite fighter), but he's ok.

Usen, maybe you should join Crocop's School of Fighting. His method of knee striking a wrestler shooting in is very effective.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...h&plindex=0

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/03/07 03:35 PM

Quote:

If you understand the basics and can develop good skill in grappling you can defeat a superior grappler with effective striking and positioning.

Exactly.

But your explanations still all revolve around learning grappling. That's all I was trying to say. If you don't have at least an understanding of the techniques, you don't stand much chance in that scenario.

I don't remember exactly the guy's name, but there was an ex-pro boxer, Frank something, who fought one of Ruas' guys in an early UFC. He brutally beat this guy down with good sprawling and knee/elbow strikes when the BJJ guy would shoot. Lots of blood. He never submitted, but they did stop it because of the amounts of blood and where it was coming from. That's the perfect example of a true stand up fighter beating a BJJ fighter..... Don't let it go to the ground. Easier said than done though.

*sorry I don't remember the fighters' names,,, brain on slow mo this morning.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/03/07 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you understand the basics and can develop good skill in grappling you can defeat a superior grappler with effective striking and positioning.

Exactly.

But your explanations still all revolve around learning grappling. That's all I was trying to say. If you don't have at least an understanding of the techniques, you don't stand much chance in that scenario.

But sprawling IS grappling. So if you learn to sprawl you are learning to grapple. And that is my point. To defeat a grappler you must have some knowledge of grappling, and this comes from learning grappling. The bottom line is that if you are a striker and you don't know how to grapple at all you will be in for a long day, period.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/03/07 03:44 PM

Right.

What did I say that didn't match that?

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/03/07 04:04 PM

The thing that didn't match was your implication that a sprawl and brawl striker is a "true stand up fighter" and one should not have to learn grappling to be an effective stand up fighter.

Quote:

Exactly.

I don't remember exactly the guy's name, but there was an ex-pro boxer, Frank something, who fought one of Ruas' guys in an early UFC. He brutally beat this guy down with good sprawling and knee/elbow strikes when the BJJ guy would shoot. Lots of blood. He never submitted, but they did stop it because of the amounts of blood and where it was coming from. That's the perfect example of a true stand up fighter beating a BJJ fighter..... Don't let it go to the ground. Easier said than done though.

*sorry I don't remember the fighters' names,,, brain on slow mo this morning.

Then I pointed out that sprawling is wrestling and a striker must learn such grappling skills to be effective against a grappler. And then you said "Right." So at first you disagreed with me, then agreed, and then disagreed again all in one statement. And now you are agreeing. Am I missing something, are we talking about the same thing, or are you disagreeing with anything I have posted in this thread?

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/03/07 04:10 PM

Nah,

Didn't mean to imply that. I was just trying to give an example of a stand up fighter with a good understanding of grappling technique/defense to illustrate my statement of

"But your explanations still all revolve around learning grappling. That's all I was trying to say. If you don't have at least an understanding of the techniques, you don't stand much chance in that scenario."

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/03/07 04:22 PM

Okay, I get it now.
Posted by: Shonuff

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 08:51 PM

Usen

What precisely one does depends entirely on what is happening. In meds vid of cro cop kneeing the guy, he escapes several attempts at takedown before the knee. I would suggest hitting the guy before he regains his balance. Also one can use strikes to keep a grappler on the back foot. There's lots of stuff but its all very situational and no none of it is simple.

Personally I'm not sure about the idea that that any control/manipulation knowledge should be classed as wrestling. It is only the rules of modern sports like boxing that seperated the ways of holding and disturbing balance/weight from striking.
Posted by: Gothrocker

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 09:34 PM

Wouldnt keeping distance from a BJJ fighter work? Once they get close in the can get you in an underhook, take u down, sweep u, whatever. But if u kept ur distance, with say, kicks or striking if u hold the reach advantage, would that've worked?

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/03/07 09:40 PM

Quote:

Wouldnt keeping distance from a BJJ fighter work?

Quote:

..But if u kept ur distance, with say, kicks or striking if u hold the reach advantage, would that've worked?

Like on the other side of the street? Sure that would work! Kind of like Hommick vs. Gurgel - don't engage and just stay away from them, working pot-shots. You'll stay safe that way for certain.

Unless they can play the same game. Then you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

-John

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/04/07 02:12 AM

First of all, I thank you all very, very much for the thoughtful replies!

Secondly, regarding this:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Usen, maybe you should join Crocop's School of Fighting. His method of knee striking a wrestler shooting in is very effective.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...h&plindex=0

That was an amazing video, I can clearly see how that knee was extremely destructive to the wrestler.
However, he did eventually end up grappling him.
Fortunately this fight was in the ring, in a real street fight, some people might even use 'dirty' tactics like biting or eye gouges once they grapple their opponent.
What could we do then?

Some people have mentioned learning some grappling techniques, so if I do, what art/technique should i learn/use?

Once again, thanks for the input!

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/04/07 03:03 AM

For the best training move to Vegas and train at Xtreme Couture. If that is not an option learn bjj/submission grappling from a wrestling perspective, which will teach you to not pull guard, but grapple to gain a dominant position either on top or on their feet and punch your opponent in the face.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/04/07 08:03 AM

Quote:

For the best training move to Vegas and train at Xtreme Couture. If that is not an option learn bjj/submission grappling from a wrestling perspective, which will teach you to not pull guard, but grapple to gain a dominant position either on top or on their feet and punch your opponent in the face.

EXCELLENT advice! This is exactly the way I believe that folks should be training. This is the approach that I believe in and have used for years.

I see the guard being used a LOT in gi-style jiu-jitsu in an almost flamboyant manner. Thats only natural when you consider how many handles you have to hold onto with material designed not to rip. It fosters a notion of security when playing guard and is the reason why so many BJJ guys fighting vale tudo would voluntarily pull it.

Gotta work for top, using the guard as an active defensive position, disengaging when at first possible.

Just thought I'd throw my own two cents in.

-John
Posted by: JimmySmith

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/07/07 04:05 AM

I don't exactly see how the guy was a Kung Fu expert. The BJJ fighter looked more convincing at kicking than the Kung Fu guy, who not only sent out nice slow kicks that were checked, didn't use his hands at all, had an oddly long stance and delivered the lamest attempt at an elbow in the history of mankind. Not exactly what I would say a conclusive video, only showed how a BJJ could tackle and then whup the lamers butt

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/07/07 06:42 AM

Part of the problem Jimmy is that when dealing with a KNOWN grappler, people will often change their delivery dramatically.

Imagine a boxer fighting a person who he knew was a boxer and another whom he knew to be a grappler.

Don't you think you might see a change in his approach regarding each one? Wouldn't he probably appear to look much different with his overall structure against the grappler? Just some food for thought.

-John
Posted by: Morpheus

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/10/07 11:40 PM

What was that?

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/11/07 05:05 AM

Awesome! I found two videos I found quite interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDnnmENhJp4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTIrehTIGOA

Enjoy!
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/18/07 01:27 AM

go learn some grappling and then come back next time
Those Shamrock clips are great
I like how he breaks down the movements so that he/you can really understand whats going on
Posted by: Alabama_Samurai

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH VID - 08/18/07 03:41 AM

First of all, that's Royce Gracie. Not many martial artists can beat him anyway. Also, Royce Gracie is not a very aggressive fighter. He's excellent at strategy. He looks for you to make a mistake and when you do he takes you to his world. About the only thing I can think of that this gung fu guy could have done to stand a chance would be to make it appear as if he's making an opening in order to draw Royce into a position where he can land a hard knee to his chest or face. But, like I said, that's Royce Gracie. Very few men could beat him anway.

And that comment about it being almost impossible for someone trained in only striking to not being taking down by a practitioner of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu isn't entirely true. Not all BJJ practitioners have much experience.

I believe in being prepared. I believe that ground fighting is a very important part of figting. Do I believe the saying that most fights go to the ground? YES and NO. Most of the fights I have seen start with pushing, then an exchanging of blows, and then sometimes it ends up on the ground. Most people in real situations don't immediately try to take you to the ground. So, I don't believe that groundfighting is THE most important part of fighting. But, I'm not going to deny it's importance, nor it's effectiveness in disabling your opponent of his ability to hit you. It's sort of like a kingsnake taking on a much larger snake. The kingsnake will immobilise the other snake and then make the kill. Of course a kingsnake would probably be killed by a kingcobra. So the kingsnake's way isn't the only way. A kingcobra will evade and then strike. Even mongooses have a hard time with them. They often end up dead. And in case some of you are wondering, kingsnakes are NOT immune to venom. They merely have a tolerance and venom from non-North American snakes might be beyond their tolerance. Oh, and the last part about the venom has no symbolism. Only the part about the kingsnake "grappling".

Ok, I probably rambled on in this post, but I've got a mad case of insomnia. So, bare with me here.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/19/07 03:13 AM

someones been up watching too much animal planet
Posted by: Alabama_Samurai

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/19/07 03:16 AM

Quote:

someones been up watching too much animal planet

Don't tell me you can't see the symbolism between a kingsnake and a practitioner of BJJ. lol

I tend to use metaphors quite often.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/19/07 06:53 PM

hahaha I see, I've just never seen anyone go so far into the animal metaphor to describe their habitat and teeth brushing habits. anyway, off topic.

bottom line, if you get a run in with a grappler, try to stay on your feet and I would say no closer than clinch range (most MA out there have some kind of techniques where you are able to grab the guy and such). If you can get the grappler to play your striking game then, you're fine.

Once you hit the ground...well lets hope you can land a lucky strike that can disable him before he does anything. That or get your butt whipped and then go and learn yourself some grappling techniques to keep it from happening.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/22/07 01:41 AM

I've heard people say "boxers are blind from the waste down".
I don't personally believe this to be true, but it is a good theory and definitely applies to non-comp level boxers.

In the same right, grapplers do not often understand the art of distancing.

Just some stuff to consider.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/22/07 03:14 AM

boxers can dance, so not exactly blind..and you would have to get past the fists first.

True the aim of grappling is closing the distance, while strikers I guess try to keep the distance farther. But what happens when you pushed into a wall? No more room to dance. Strikers need room, and sometimes thats not a luxury that they are given...unless they make it.
Posted by: ShangTsung

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/22/07 01:46 PM

Good Kung Fu does contain grappling however there is much less emphasis on it as usually striking is more effective, especially if you face more then one opponent at a time, with multiple opponents grappling becomes almost useless.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/22/07 02:15 PM

Quote:

however there is much less emphasis on it as usually striking is more effective

That statement is your opinion, not fact. Either one is only effective as the user (and situation) is.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/22/07 02:17 PM

Right. If pushed against a wall, you can use your structure to turn. This, if done right, will open enough space to fire a punch or palm strike directly up to the carroted (sp?) cavity thus throwing the opponent's head back and creating more space. If this doesn't work, you've still got elbows and knees to throw out there. Or sweeps - WC, Judo or otherwise.
For WC people, there are a lot of techniques in the 2nd form that address this very issue. Again, it isn't taught the same everywhere.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/22/07 02:29 PM

Well I wouldn't say striking is always more effective. But to his credit he did add something about multiple attacker scenarios. In that situation I'd have to agree. Getting tied up with one person while there are still others to deal with is generally a bad idea. IMHO

I'm sure there are some remote situations where really good grapplers can use stand up techniques to maybe keep one person in control and block the others; but I still see it as more dangerous than the hit and run striking methods. Just too many chances for getting overwhelmed when you're locked up with even one person even for a short time.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/22/07 02:51 PM

or the grapplers can steven seagal it and toss their opponents into tables and cabinets..anything to break furniture. Wrestling techniques are pretty dangerous ("pro" wrestling techniques). Who would get up from a big slam into a table?? or a DDT?? Or the 3 slaps to the chest....

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/22/07 02:57 PM

Well,

We were talking about BJJ techniques not aikido. Sure you can push people into objects or each other and keep moving, but that's not the same as grappling with them. And, btw, when you pick that guy up to slam him on a table... what's to stop his friends from beating the snot out of you with bottles, chairs, pool balls/cues, projectiles of any kind, knives in the back, etc? You have your whole body and all your attention on that one person. That leaves you open to get stomped by the rest of the group.

Or maybe your whole post was in jest? Sarcasm? If so, sorry. It doesn't translate well in type.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/22/07 05:02 PM

Best post ever.
Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/22/07 08:04 PM

Quote:

In the same right, grapplers do not often understand the art of distancing.

Just some stuff to consider.

Most grapplers train both takedowns and takedown defence against people that are very good at both. Most Kung Fu practitioners do not.

Who do you think will be better at controlling range?

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/23/07 02:01 AM

Depends on what the 'range' is, dunnit?
There really are only two ranges at the end of the day - within the range of contact and outside of it.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/23/07 04:11 PM

yea I kind of forgot this is specified BJJ thread, which I guess I cant say much as most of the things that I've known and encountered from BJJ are ground oriented. At school the club hasnt done (not sure if they will) randori from stand up, it always starts on the knees. So hard to say.

In terms of slams, the best kinds would be the ones where you dont fall down with the guy. But you would have to move around to gain yourself a good position (in terms of the guy and his buddies) in order to do so. Aikido randori would probably be the best thing to describe it. But like you said, this isnt about Aikido, its BJJ.

But Mr. AndrewGreen here brings up the point that BJJ (and grapplers) train for take downs and take down defense, while their kungfu counterparts do not train in either one. And in order to score your take down you must also learn to pass the strikes or guard of your opponent. And though it pains me to use him as an example, Royce Gracie has demonstrated that he learned to pass a striker's guard to get the take down many times. And once the grappling starts, I believe the grappler has the advantage.

So its either 2 choices: learn grappling or be really quick with your feet and hands to avoid or strike the grappler down before he clinches up with you.

Re: What to do if grappled by BJJ fighter? - WITH - 08/23/07 05:51 PM

I favor the latter, but only because my interests lie predominantly in self defense and not ring fighting. I think as a striker you can train to fight grapplers and stay on your feet - you just have to continually reality check what you're doing and admit to yourself it won't work against everybody. But we can all be beaten no matter what we train, yeah?

Sidenote - is anyone familiar with Carlson Gracie Sr's form of BJJ? The old man used to say it was "standy-uppy", meaning that the point was to get to your feet even if you're in the throes of a ground fight. He has a very interesting take on the clinch as well - and he did a now infamous seminar with Sam Kwok because he loved the striking elements of wing chun.
Check it out:
http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Produc...storysingle=YES