karate connection chinese kenpo

Posted by: yuanofkienninja

karate connection chinese kenpo - 06/12/07 05:00 PM

Has anyone here run through a video certification with these guys, and if so, what was your experience with the course?

Has anyone tried opening up a school teaching this style of kenpo? Did you get any flack from potential customers concerning your Qualifications?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: karate connection chinese kenpo - 06/12/07 10:50 PM

I should hope anyone getting video certified ALWAYS gets flack from everyone. Especially to video certified 'instructors' who think of students as customers. ...especially harsh flack should come in the form of ridicule on an internet forum, so 'potential customers' who happen to be reading, don't get taken for a ride.

knowaddimean?

Re: karate connection chinese kenpo - 06/13/07 08:48 PM

WELL... Ahh, yes. The "traditional" practitioner who has been at his art for a gazillion years chimes in to protect the unsuspecting masses. People aren't stupid, sir. They don't need your protection. It was a polite inquiry, and deserved a simple, solid answer. I am neither a practitioner of said style, nor do I advocate it as the best form of training. That said, it is an increasingly popular method of study, and for some of us, the only truly viable option.

Perhaps I misunderstand...
Posted by: oldman

Re: karate connection chinese kenpo - 06/13/07 08:57 PM

yuanofkienninja,

Quote:

People aren't stupid, sir.

Hmmmm. I think I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFiSkKpySaE
Posted by: MattJ

Re: karate connection chinese kenpo - 06/13/07 09:58 PM

That is something of a tough call. Qualifications in martial arts are best rendered on the mat, IMHO. My current BJJ instructor is learning from another BJJ school, along with video instruction. Video training with no other resource would be very suspect to me. As a supplement to ongoing, live training, it can be very useful. So I guess it depends to what degree is the video training being involved.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: karate connection chinese kenpo - 06/14/07 06:56 AM

To rely on video alone as a method to learn MA or self defense provides nothing but a false sense of skill and security.
As Matt said, video should only be used for purposes in which the video is supplemental.

Re: karate connection chinese kenpo - 06/14/07 06:01 PM

well...we do what we can.
Posted by: ThatSpearGuy

Re: karate connection chinese kenpo - 06/18/07 09:03 PM

There is no substitute for a life instructor to give you live energy and feedback. Any video on its own, no matter how well intentioned, cannot teach you martial arts. If its supplement it is still not very good.

Re: karate connection chinese kenpo - 06/19/07 12:06 AM

agreed, but I think video can still be useful/interesting as either a comparitive reference to the basic shape of Arts...or as sequence/drill reminders for beginner students of the video author to practice at home (which would fall into the 'supplimental' category, except I think it's only supplimental if the person demonstrating in the video is the actual in-person instructor of the person watching...AND if the video is current).
Posted by: jude33

Re: karate connection chinese kenpo - 06/19/07 06:29 PM

Quote:

Has anyone here run through a video certification with these guys, and if so, what was your experience with the course?

Has anyone tried opening up a school teaching this style of kenpo? Did you get any flack from potential customers concerning your Qualifications?

Hi. Which guys?

Re: karate connection chinese kenpo - 06/24/07 07:16 PM

Chuck Sullivan and Vic LeRoux of the Karate Connection.