A question for 7-star-mantis practitioners

Posted by: Tashigae

A question for 7-star-mantis practitioners - 06/06/07 02:06 AM

Last year, I learnt a form from qixing-tanglang-quan (7-star-mantis boxing), whose applications I particularly liked. Unfortunately, having too little time to practice, and other forms to focus on, I’ve almost entirely forgotten it by now. Since I’m without instruction at the moment, I’d like to work on some previously learnt forms – particularly that tanglang-quan taolu. The problem is, I’m having a job finding any material about it, and apparently I misunderstood the name of the taolu when I learnt it because when I asked for it in that Chinese bookstore, the book they gave me described an entirely different form. If any fellow-practitioner could direct me to some material on the net (pictures, video, written description… even just the name would help) to refresh my failing memory of that form, that would be a great help.

The form I’m referring to starts with a cutting strike of the right hand toward the left hand, then coiling around it and finally pulling back in the characteristic hook of praying mantis styles, while the left hand, as soon as freed from the right one, springs forward while forming the same typical hook. At that point, the footwork ends in the position known as 7-star-stance (left leg forward, straight, with heel to the ground and toes pointing up, bodyweight on the right leg, slightly bent). It must sound difficult to picture from my lame description, but I think anyone having studied this taolu should recognize it (hopefully).

If you see what I’m talking about, please help me! Any info appreciated…
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: A question for 7-star-mantis practitioners - 06/08/07 02:02 PM

this might be close

the problem is qixing / qishi tanglangquan is not the name of a form but of a style. i'm not a praticioner of tanglang, but just based on my knowledge of other CMA styles, there could be dozens of 7* forms or variations thereof.

you might try jumping over to the emptyFlower forum as there are quite a few guys over there who have direct experience with different mantis styles.