wing chun training

Posted by: staticman

wing chun training - 05/16/07 02:16 AM

not sure if this subject has been discussed before but...
-any thoughts on the usefulness/appropriateness in wing chun of:
a)strength training with weights/bodyweight, etc
b)bagwork
c) plyometrics
-i've heard differing views- including that it is detrimental.
all opinion appreciated
Posted by: northstar

Re: wing chun training - 05/16/07 11:26 AM

Well ... it is very famous for being an effective, quick to learn, no nonsense system ... but it really depends on who teaches it doesn't it ? A good system taught by a bad teacher doesn't need much explanation. I personally believe almost any system taught by a good teacher and experienced fighter can be good.

There are so many wing chun classes, I've seen and crossed hands with good ones and bad ones. Even with bad students from good classes, hah. There are classes out there that teach things slowly deliberately, classes that talk about combat efficiency but don't train for it, etc.

So regarding your questions A, B and C any good class should cover those things but not all do. Are you looking for combat or just those three things ? If you're not, you could cover those things in other ways.

Hope this helped!
Posted by: staticman

Re: wing chun training - 05/16/07 12:55 PM

hi northstar
-no i am not interested in these 3 things specifically on there own, but as potential training activities to improve my wing chun.
-i want my wing chun to develop so i can understand/perform the art for what it is, which i feel includes the combat element (ie self-defence not contest/tournement)if i ever needed it. i agree from my (limited) experience it seems a very effective style but have come across varying opinions on the usefulness of using bags, weight training, plyometrics, etc
-thoughts?
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: wing chun training - 05/16/07 10:04 PM

Hey there. I'm a big fan of bag work - but if you're training WC, you should punch it in WC fashion and it will NOT go flying across the room, but shudder in place if you do it right. Apply this to boxing sometime too. It's fun!
As for weights, they can be detrimental. Straining your muscles can limit your ability to use soft energy and it can put you in the habit of trying to muscle out your situations. This is antithetical to WC. However, if you want biceps, go for it. Just remember, it's the tricep (which will develop naturally if you practice your punch regularly) that delivers the power. And you elbow energy of course.
Hope this helps!
Posted by: northstar

Re: wing chun training - 05/22/07 07:23 PM

ShikataGaNai - you def know what you're talking about ! Yep the should shudder and not fly away. Staticman, you could also try a wallbag (doesn't move) and go for that 'penetration' power.

I'm glad I left weight training till much later on in my martial arts path, much more aware of what's going on with my body.
Posted by: futsaowingchun

Re: wing chun training - 06/17/07 03:06 PM

Quote:

not sure if this subject has been discussed before but...
-any thoughts on the usefulness/appropriateness in wing chun of:
a)strength training with weights/bodyweight, etc
b)bagwork
c) plyometrics
-i've heard differing views- including that it is detrimental.
all opinion appreciated

there is nothing wrong with this type of traing so along as you train in a way that compliments your style. Another words if you practice hitting a havey bag hit it the way you would the wing chun way not a western boxer way. if you kick it do teh same.Not use a a kick that does not exist in your style..