Anyone do Pai Lum (White Dragon)

Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Anyone do Pai Lum (White Dragon) - 05/06/07 12:30 PM

I really like this style do you?
Posted by: WuXing

Re: Anyone do Pai Lum (White Dragon) - 05/07/07 08:59 AM

haven't heard of it. What part of China is it from?

is this the style you're talking about? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pai_lum

http://www.pailum.org/frameindex.html inducted into six halls of fame? wow. I didn't know there were six halls of fame for martial artists. I didn't know there was even one.

I think it's a little weird that American guys have taken on Chinese names/titles, like pai ching lung, etc.

I wish people didn't feel like they needed to make up crazy stories to promote themselves. Or at least make up a credible sounding story. Who knows, the martial arts might be good...but this sort of thing always provides a moral dilemma. The skill and effectiveness of a style should speak for itself...why bother embarrassing yourself like the "grandmaster" on this website? I guess in their world, these titles and awards are meant to be impressive and prestigious.

Why not say: "I learned some from various styles of martial arts, and combined them into a personal system."
I guess then, people would ask to you to prove the worth of your system...but they'll do that anyway, even when you say you learned it from a "temple" in Okinawa. So how much could the truth hurt?
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Anyone do Pai Lum (White Dragon) - 05/07/07 03:12 PM

It looks like the Winpedia entry is a fair statement of the Pai Lum group.

It was Daniel Pai, a contempory and friend of Ed Parker, who crafted the system, shared it as stated, and re-named the individuals mentioned. I believe it was a way to make them members of his famliy. I've seen this done by other groups, and is somewhat cult-like in its usage.

Almost all of its practices go back to Daniel Pai's methond of instruction. Among the early members was Patrick McCarthy, and George Dillman used to compete with Pai's forms, such as the Pai Lum Kuen. All of Daniel Pai's early students did not stay with him.

Pai Lum is roughly a mixure of Northern and Shalion arts, none of which are done this way in China. Not good or bad, arts are just arts, just as Pai Lum is Pai Lum, period.

Some of the groups are very much karat-ka trying to do Chiense arts. Some of them are very Chinese in their orientation. It depends on the instructors studies.

My friend/ instructor, Ernest Rothrock began his Chinese studies in Pai Lum and taught it for many years, but he worked exhaustively within a group of Chinese style instructors to develop a Chinese approach to the sysetm. His ex-wire, ussed his Pai Lum teachings to become a Natinoal forms and weapons champion in the early 80's for 5 years, before her movie career.

In time he moved into the Northern Eagle Claw and discontinued the Pai Lum arts from his schools.

Daniel Pai's group was among the early places one could study the Chinese arts, abet with questions, outside of someone in the Chinese community. A source not very open in those days.

Re: Anyone do Pai Lum (White Dragon) - 05/07/07 07:25 PM

Yes that is the style I am talking about. Funny I just read about the history 2 days ago.
I just started this style about 2 months ago but so far I like the moves. It is kind of hard to distinguish this from my last school, they have about the same moves. I just like how we train and what we train. We have done takedowns, self defense with controlling their wrists. We did one of the breaks Tony Jaa does in the Protector when about 100 people attack him. lol
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Anyone do Pai Lum (White Dragon) - 05/07/07 08:45 PM

Garrett,

Where you train is always your decision. I think the Pai Lum systems are as varied as any others. But if what you see in your school meets what you are looking for, train hard and have fun.

Re: Anyone do Pai Lum (White Dragon) - 05/07/07 09:39 PM

Yeah I really want to train everyday and hard. But my parents are um bad decision makers. And I have to do football, which isnt any fun, instead of kungfu.