1960's era Kung Fu demos

Posted by: MattJ

1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/18/07 04:37 PM

Some sharp stuff in there, done in street clothes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSTyL333hRk&NR
Posted by: WuXing

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/18/07 05:41 PM

The video above is an edited version, if anyone wants to watch the whole thing, it's in three parts, about half an hour long. There's some interesting stuff in here.

near the end there are more students doing things. Those kids are pretty good
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5XMIQrvinM&mode=related&search=

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFle3ms8TbM

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imOPzsc95LA&mode=related&search=
Posted by: 18lohans

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/19/07 05:04 PM

great clips indeed!

it is kinda upsetting to read the comments though. Chinese style forms always get that rep of being "pretty cool to look at, but won't help in a fight" or "if you practice forms, you're wasting time".
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/20/07 12:12 PM

Quote:

"pretty cool to look at, but won't help in a fight" or "if you practice forms, you're wasting time".

When you are asked to demonstrate your style in public (whether 50 or 500 years ago or now) would you do a Form or would you bring and show off your arm, fist, body conditioning equipment (like a makiwara or heavy bag)?
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/20/07 10:40 PM

I agree that for the most part, that if the art has forms then they will be performed when people ask for a demonstration. Unless you're trained to not do so and use the crowd for demonstration. Still showing a form is almost just instinctive for the people that do practice arts with forms. Because if you do a form people can then be like "ooooh, thats tiger fist."
Posted by: oldcoach

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/22/07 02:41 AM

Quote:

When you are asked to demonstrate your style in public (whether 50 or 500 years ago or now) would you do a Form or would you bring and show off your arm, fist, body conditioning equipment (like a makiwara or heavy bag)?

I demo:

1. Zhan Zhuang (1 pose) for 5 minutes.
2. Sitting meditation for 10 mintues

By the time I open my eyes, everyone's gone. See, no-touch fighting against multiples

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/22/07 10:20 AM

If you do them with your eyes open, they may hang around wondering when you are going to start.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/22/07 11:06 AM

Quote:

I demo:

1. Zhan Zhuang (1 pose) for 5 minutes.
2. Sitting meditation for 10 mintues

By the time I open my eyes, everyone's gone. See, no-touch fighting against multiples

LMAO
Posted by: 18lohans

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/22/07 08:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"pretty cool to look at, but won't help in a fight" or "if you practice forms, you're wasting time".

sorry, but I'm not sure I got the comment? is that a rhetorical question?

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/23/07 02:00 AM

Quote:

If you do them with your eyes open, they may hang around wondering when you are going to start.

Ah yes, in which case they've just demonstrated their low-level rank. They don't realize it's already started, cos they just can't see that "there's motion in stillness and stillness in motion".

In which case, I'd use the lag time to sign them up as new students

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/23/07 09:38 AM

Quote:

sorry, but I'm not sure I got the comment? is that a rhetorical question?

Oldcoach, looks like you can sign up 18lohans right away

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/23/07 11:56 AM

Quote:

Oldcoach, looks like you can sign up 18lohans right away

Ah, so solly. No can do. Aledi haf 36 blonze men.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: 1960's era Kung Fu demos - 04/27/07 10:26 AM

Quote:

it is kinda upsetting to read the comments though. Chinese style forms always get that rep of being "pretty cool to look at, but won't help in a fight" or "if you practice forms, you're wasting time".

YouTube kids seem to enjoy repeating this narrow minded observation ad nauseum while they compare everything to 'mma teh ultimate'.
That's why the 'Tube is a great place to link to videos and talk about them on other forums