An Introduction to China and Hawaii's Martial Arts

Posted by: lchow

An Introduction to China and Hawaii's Martial Arts - 03/04/07 06:19 PM

This post and others will be found in the following forums, as I feel that this would be the most appropriate place for such postings:

Fighting Arts Forum
Martial Arts Topics
1. Karate
2. Kung Fu/Chinese Arts forum

AN INTRODUCTION TO CHINA AND TO CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS AS FOLLOWS:

Hi, my name is Lester D.K. Chow. I am 58 years old and one of many of Professor William Kwai Sun Chow's relatives. Professor Chow is the founder of Kara-Ho style of martial arts. As a child I was taught Tai Chi for exercise (not for sparing, nor for self-defense), when I would go over to my grandmother's house. I worked as a political consultant in New York (I no longer live there) and I am back home in Hawaii.

My objective in the martial arts, presently, is to get to know as many people as possible interested in Kungfu and in ancient Chinese martial arts styles.

I have, also, taken a keen and very deep interest in the style of my second-uncle, Professor William Kwai Sun Chow, and in anything connected with him (Kempo, Kenpo, Karate, Kara-Ho, etc).

Professor Chow was not accepted by Hawaii's local Chinese community, because he was not pure Chinese. So, he was not taught Kungfu, neither did his father and grandfather practice Kungfu, contrary to what my uncle had previously claimed.

My grandfather's name is Shaolin, he was named after the village in China where he was born, as he was expected to be the head of our fanily and village, coming from China's most prominent family, roots, and traditional 4,000 years of a Chinese heritage. This is our family's and the Professor's claim to fame.

He (my grandfather, Shaolin) was the head of our family in Hawaii as his father, the clan's patriarchal head (Chow P'an Lung), could not be present here. The Professor spoke in a figurative manner and not in an actual sense, especially with respect to his family, history, and art (kungfu principles that he was taught).

Though I came later and never met the Professor, it was said that he did "Shaolin's kungfu". Well, the truth of that, as I understand it, would be that he learnt family principles, which was attributed to his father's older brother (my grandfather) whose name is Shaolin. Shaolin's kungfu was no more than traditional Chinese principles applied in one's life and the term kungfu originally did not mean preforming a style of martial arts.

I would like to get to know people as well as to share what I know about martial arts and the Professor with others.

Being the head of my clan and family structure, I would like to gather my family (those in America) so that I might be able to teach them their family history, heritage, roots, and genealogy and have a day unto God. A renaissance of the Chinese culture in America and in China.

I am a China history and culture scholar.

I would, also, like to get more background information about Professor Chow in order to be able to maintain the memory of Professor Chow for our family hall (tong) in China and back in Hawaii. This is the greatest honor that can be paid to any Chinese man.

I would like to, also, teach his style in our family tong and I am looking for volunteers (a brown belt, perhaps) and a qualified black belt instructor 8th degree or better and we will pay him.

If anyone can help out in this respect, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have no money at present, so this project is dependent on the goodwill of martial artist out there willing to spread the word on Professor Chow and willing to help the Chow family structure...until the Tong can get financially on its feet.

I can be contacted at:

The Chou Clansmen Association of America
(The Chow clan and dynasty surname organization in the US)
C/o: Lester D.K. Chow and Associates
P.O. Box 4604
Honolulu, Hawaii 96812
Tel: (808) 538-1855
E-mail: zhouclan-at-yahoo-dot-com

Thank you!
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: An Introduction to China and Hawaii's Martial - 03/05/07 07:07 AM

What are your experiences with martial arts? Do you still train?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: An Introduction to China and Hawaii's Martial Arts - 03/05/07 01:57 PM

Please do not multiple post the same topic. I am locking this thread and referencing all replies to this one here:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15925110

All other identical threads will be deleted.