Mongolian Martial Arts

Posted by: everyone

Mongolian Martial Arts - 02/19/07 02:50 PM

Does anyone have any experience with or have links to Mongolian martial arts? It is very hard to reseach beyond the sport wrestling. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Posted by: trevek

Re: Mongolian Martial Arts - 02/19/07 03:11 PM

Archery is big, I believe. Most of my knowldege is wrestling based.
Posted by: everyone

Re: Mongolian Martial Arts - 02/19/07 03:53 PM

I have been learning a comprehensive fighting style that includes throws, strikes, and grappling. My instructor doesn’t know much of its origin other then his instructor said it was Mongolian.

The stand up strikes have a similarity to Tibetan White Crane, except shorter range and the back hand is not extended out. But the footwork is the same (or very close). The throws are circular and tend to trap a limb so as to break it on the fall. The ground fighting is very distinctive from Jiu Jitstu. There is also a spear form in this style.

I am hoping to find a lineage to the style and explore its history and development.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Mongolian Martial Arts - 02/19/07 05:08 PM

Doesn't shuai chiao trace its roots to the Mongolians?
In class from time to time we will do what we call 'Mongolian wrestling'. The name of the game is to upset your opponents center of gravity and move them out of a designated space. You can use pushes, pulls, and throws.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Mongolian Martial Arts - 02/19/07 07:17 PM

The place to learn Mongolian war arts is to study Ghenkis Khan. He was the first general of any army to develop special forces that specialized in tactical advantages by learning particular skills. He pretty much developed the "squads", platoons, etc. regimentation that armies follow, and I suspect that the information on his fighting methods would be found in that study.

If I can find the links again, I researched some really neat articles about his military methods and fighting methods a couple of years ago. He developed a code of conduct and was a tactical genius. Since recordkeeping wasn't a big deal at the time, there aren't many journals of their tactics or fighting methods. There is only history of what conquests he made, which was most of the Asian continent.