Hey there

Posted by: Peter32

Hey there - 02/16/07 12:40 AM

Hey guys,
Came across this site and found the boards and readings to be quite interesting, and I'd like to participate in some of the conversations. Figured I should introduce myself first though. If this is the wrong place to do this then I apologize, but I didn't see anywhere meant specifically for it.

My name is Pete (if you couldn't tell), I'm nineteen and am currently training in Red Hat Kung Fu. Been training for about five years now. A lot of it is the Shaolin Animal Styles, although there is some of the Taoist Kung Fu as well. Besides just the Kung Fu we also work on Chin Na and Shuai Chiao. The system is Half-Hard, Half-Soft, although I'm definately better at the Hard movements than the Soft ones.

Besides this I've also done about 2 years of Uechi-Ryu Karate on and off (due to a couple dislocations from Shuai Chiao I had to do some physical therapy... I couldn't even do internal styles right then; much less the harsher external movements, right now I'm getting back into that as well as the Kung Fu.)

I hope to be able to contribute to these discussions at least somewhat. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Hey there - 02/16/07 12:45 AM

Welcome Pete!
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Hey there - 02/16/07 12:45 AM

Welcome, Peter!

Please take a look here and you'll do just fine.

Anything I can help you with, please let me know.

Most of all, have fun!

Re: Hey there - 02/16/07 01:56 AM

Thanks for the timely welcomes. A quick point that wasn't addressed in the rules you linked; what are the rules about necroposting?

There are a couple of topics that look interesting that are a month or so old, just wondering how old a topic has to be before it's considered "dead".
Posted by: Taison

Re: Hey there - 02/16/07 06:12 AM

Hi Pete,

I myself tried Shuai Jiao a while back, and San Shou. I'm definitely not that good at the internal arts, but I'm pretty good on the external ones

Welcome to the forum,

-Taison out
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Hey there - 02/16/07 07:19 AM

I haven't heard such a rule about necroposting. If a post looks worthy of discussing please feel free.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Hey there - 02/16/07 10:43 AM

'Red Hat Kung Fu'? what is that?

How is it said in Chinese, if it has a Chinese name at all.

Re: Hey there - 02/16/07 12:20 PM

I'm actually unsure of the Chinese name; however I can give you the lineage.

My Sifu is a student of Master George Ling Hu; here's some info on him http://home.neo.rr.com/pbicmhc/Master%20George%20Ling%20Hu.htm

He comes up about twice a year from Houston to do seminars; always good stuff, although there's the tendency for me to turn into a throw dummy

Master Hu has some good credentials; and I've tried unsuccessfully to resist many of his throws.

Along with that the Kung Fu prepared me quite well for the Karate (Uechi-Ryu is about a hundred years old in it's Karate form, it's derived from Dragon, Crane, and Tiger Kung Fu) which again I've done under a good Sensei (Brian Diamond, a student of James Thompson, and some under James Thompson again). I notice quite a few similarities in movements (although the Kung Fu tends to be softer).
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: Hey there - 02/16/07 02:08 PM

hey, welcome to the board pete.

Re: Hey there - 02/16/07 02:25 PM

Again, thanks for the welcome;

At the moment I'm more or less feeling like an idiot; I could have sworn it was called Red Hat... anyways, I e-mailed my Sifu just to be sure; his response was "Red Hat is a style of Buddhism, not Kung Fu! We do Shaolin Kung Fu (with some Preying Mantis style)."

So more or less, I was wrong. Hope things make more sense now.
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: Hey there - 02/16/07 03:31 PM

wow! and you've been training for how long?
Posted by: tailiugug

Re: Hey there - 02/24/07 12:01 AM

welcome onboard

do you know if the mantis you train, is northern or southern? by the way dont let some of these guys get to you theirs a lot of closed minds out there but with closed minds comes closed doors